E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Mobile Speed camera in Cammeray,

05-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Mobile Speed camera in Cammeray,

Hi All,

was driving down Miller Street to the shops this week and noticed what looked to be a speed camera mounted on a tripod. One car was next to it and the other car was further down the road pulling peple over.

The problem was there are guidelines to how cops can operate these cameras and using one on the crest of a hill contravenes the manufactures guidelines.

Anyway i parked and went over and told them off for not using it in the correct manner, stating my case bla bla. He told me it wasn't a speed camera but a number plate scanner checking for stolen plates and unregistered cars etc.

Didn't realize they had this power, i mean in 5 years you're not going to be able to walk down the street without having your "coin purse" scanned and dna taken!!

It's going to be just like Minority Report!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Yep ... but this is not a bad thing. There are just too many people who just like to rort the system. I know of a guy who has an E30 convertable and an E30 sedan who only pays registration for one car but drives both. He has personalised nunber plates so has a duplicated set. I keep telling him how I'm against this sort of thing and what trouble he would be in if he had an accident in the one not actually registered. The worst thing is his brother in-law is a policeman and he knows he does this.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Dan, i'm actually all for this, as there has been quite an uptick in crime in the area of late.
Most notably with 4 armed holdups along 2 blocks of military road, neutral bay in the space of 2 weeks. Which i would assume were done with stolen vehicles, given this i'm more than happy for them to be doing this sort of thing in the area.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninsyd View Post
Hi All,

was driving down Miller Street to the shops this week and noticed what looked to be a speed camera mounted on a tripod. One car was next to it and the other car was further down the road pulling peple over.

The problem was there are guidelines to how cops can operate these cameras and using one on the crest of a hill contravenes the manufactures guidelines.

Anyway i parked and went over and told them off for not using it in the correct manner, stating my case bla bla. He told me it wasn't a speed camera but a number plate scanner checking for stolen plates and unregistered cars etc.

Didn't realize they had this power, i mean in 5 years you're not going to be able to walk down the street without having your "coin purse" scanned and dna taken!!

It's going to be just like Minority Report!

Yep, Verichip is coming - first in the US and then in OZ no doubt (they are trying to pass a bill in the US that will make it law) Thank 9/11 for this . Sooner or later, we will all have a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) wireless system implanted in our arms just so Governments know who you are when accessing high risk security checkpoints like at airports ...etc.
On top of this, they already have the technology to enhance the very small implant, which is the size of a grain of rice, to transmit GPS info for tracking surveillance.
Big brother will definitely be watching in the future.

05-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
daninsyd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

yes but this is only going to work if the vehicles have been listed as stolen, sometime people don't realise for a day or two. All for it in the "event" of said crime.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky66 View Post
Yep, Verichip is coming - first in the US and then in OZ no doubt (they are trying to pass a bill in the US that will make it law) Thank 9/11 for this . Sooner or later, we will all have a RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) wireless system implanted in our arms just so Governments know who you are when accessing high risk security checkpoints like at airports ...etc.
On top of this, they already have the technology to enhance the very small implant, which is the size of a grain of rice, to transmit GPS info for tracking surveillance.
Big brother will definitely be watching in the future.

If we couldn't get the Australia Card through government then an RFID chip implanted in our arms will not happen in my lifetime.
Appreciate 0