E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > From 330d pre lci to 320d lci, advice needed

12-04-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
xube8
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d lci

From 330d pre lci to 320d lci, advice needed

Hi guys.
So i got a lci 320d, after having a few 330d's (pre lci) I was familiar with those engines, so I knew about the swirl flap issue and breather.
However, I'm clueless about the 320d's, so, what do I need to look out for?
Am I right in thinking it doesn't have the swirl flaps?
It's done 90k miles,and in need of a service, so apart from the usual oil and filters, what else should I be looking at?
Also, there is a whistle noise when I accelerate, is this normal or could it be a valve or a hose?
And finally, are the rear lights sealed? A rear brake light warning is showing, but I can't open it up like the old ones.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #2
LazyHound
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91

Hi,

The 320d's do have swirl flaps, it's only the 316d and 318d's that don't have them.

In terms of what to do at 90k (gear and diff oil change would be good, and maybe coolant overhaul and checking aux belt on front of engine, these tend to get crispy/brittle)

Rear lights are LEDs but not all of them, I had a brake light warning on my LCI 318d estate and could replace the rear bulbs just fine, think there is X4 rear brake bulbs, so need a spotter to help you were which one is out. Easy access through the boot.

They do also can have noisy timing chains, so don't be too alarmed if this one does, it is normal. Some people panic and get them changed, but only then get the same noise appear again in a few kms...the secret is lots of oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

From memory swirl flaps are a non issue on LCI cars N47. Timing chain tensioner and guides are more of a problem but were re-enforced late 2010 build. Someone on here with better knowledge of that engine will give you more precise / accurate advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
The rear brake lights have normal filament bulbs, 21W, 2 per side. When you open the boot, there's an inspection cover behind each light unit. Rmove the cover, then you can see the tabs you need to press in to remove the bulb holders. 5 second job.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
xube8
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d lci

Thanks guys
I changed the brake light bulbs, these were normal. Bulbs, it's the indicator section that's led's, and the front angel eye bulbs weren't as bad as I expected.
The whistle is the turbo, so that's getting changed in a couple of weeks, apart from that it's been a great car.
Thanks again for all your replies
Appreciate 0