E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 1 Year into 48 month financing--should I trade in for a lease?

01-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
F1fan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

1 Year into 48 month financing--should I trade in for a lease?

Hello all,

Last February I purchased a 2009 335i xDrive Coupe for about 31k. I put down about 7k and financed the rest for 48 months at about 2.75%. I currently owe about $19.5k on the car.

The factory warranty just expired, but I do have two years of CPO coverage.

Here is the kicker, my wife has indicated, in no uncertain terms, that when we have kids (probably in the next 1-2 years) that I WILL be getting a four door car. I like the new F30s alot and was thinking about getting a 328 or 335 sedan when I trade mine in.

I stopped by the dealership just to browse and they talked with me a little about leasing options. In general terms, they offered $5k cash for my car and I would drive off in a 2013 328i with a 3 year lease (no money down I assume).

The problem I am struggling with is this--my car is financed out beyond the period in which I will have it (3 years left on financing, but baby will probably come before then). I worry about the time after CPO expires as well. Thus, I will never get to enjoy owning the car free and clear.

Given that I will be saddled with a car payment for the foreseeable future, would I be better off trading my car in now, while it is in CPO period and presumably has more value, and taking the lease offer? I am not familiar enough with the relevant economics of leasing vs buying, but I have heard that leasing may be a better deal if you keep the car for only a few years, but buying comes out cheaper if you keep it for longer and can enjoy owning the car free and clear for a while. Given that my situation will preclude me from owning the 335 outright (not that I would necessarily want to, given the warranty situation), would I be better off leasing now.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #2
s0nu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i AW/CR

I guess when you say 5k cash, you mean they are going to give you $5k on top of what you owe. In that case, I say it really depends on what the total would be, and to make sure you're getting a good deal out of it.

As far as buying vs leasing. It sounds to me that your wife is telling you that when the baby comes (congratulations btw) that you'll have to get a four door car so youre just preparing for the future and getting one now. With that in mind, why does that automatically mean lease? Whats wrong with financing this car, and keeping it for the long run considering this is what your wife wants you to have when the baby comes. Now, what u want out of the car comes into play.

Lease if:

1. you wanta new car always
2. Dont drive too much
3. Dont care about ownership
4. Lower monthly payment

Buy if:
1. You prefer to get rid of the payment evnetually and have equity/own your car
2. Drive alot
3. You want to mod your car

As far as whether you should do it now or not, that depends on you. yea youll get more money for it now, but then youll have a sedan until the baby comes. would you prefer the comfort of not having to worry about the baby, or would you rather enjoy your car while you have it and then jump in a sedan when the time comes.

me personally? if the deal is right id prolly jump in the new car, but thats prolly cuz i like getting new toys
[Jet Black 2009 328xi E90]
[BSM 2004 330CI E46 6MT ZHP]
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
2013 BMW 128i  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nu View Post
As far as buying vs leasing. It sounds to me that your wife is telling you that when the baby comes (congratulations btw)
Wife's not pregnant yet. So...keep the current car and save your money unless you want a new car now.

There will always be deals to be had.
[url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

What I don't understand is why does having a baby preclude a coupe?
We had a family vehicle and it wasn't an issue.

Baby seats fit just fine in the back of BMW coupes.
Do you have more than one car?
I bought a sedan last year because the new 3 series cars don't have a middle seat in the rear. That was the only reason for the extra two doors.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz
What I don't understand is why does having a baby preclude a coupe?
We had a family vehicle and it wasn't an issue.

Baby seats fit just fine in the back of BMW coupes.
Do you have more than one car?
I bought a sedan last year because the new 3 series cars don't have a middle seat in the rear. That was the only reason for the extra two doors.
Baby = 4dr. Otherwise your a bad parent or want back problems within 6months

Just get her pregnant and stop the guessing game! Then you have a timeline in place... Congrats btw. I've had this same 1-2yr discussion, why I just got a sedan to begin with. Maybe while there is value go purchase a 2010 certified...

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatdane84 View Post

Just get her pregnant and stop the guessing game! Then you have a timeline in place... Congrats btw. I've had this same 1-2yr discussion, why I just got a sedan to begin with. Maybe while there is value go purchase a 2010 certified...
if you have bad back to begin with. I don't understnad this theory at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
ventiamericano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Keep in mind that in addition to losing your CPO, as more of the F30 models hit the used the car marketplace your car will depreciate at a faster rate than the current E9x depreciation curve.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
Greatdane84
Leeeroy Jankins
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatdane84 View Post

if you have bad back to begin with. I don't understnad this theory at all.
Raja, the leaning down and over lifting a baby will start to make your back feel amazing. Do you really want to be the guy pulling your baby between a angled front seat and the rear? Priorities

"If you're not 1st, you're last" -Ricky Bobby
Appreciate 0