E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Broken/Used DualMassFlywheel: Sloppy driveline?

10-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Broken/Used DualMassFlywheel: Sloppy driveline?

I need some input here,

problem is that my car (335xi) feels lethargic on throttle input, especially from standstill,
as if there was a rubber or spring between the engine and the road. Also there seems to be to much free play.

Problem is becoming worse since I got the car at 50000km, now I'm at 85000.

I recently put m3 subframe bushings, replaced my diff bushings with Powerflex ones,
replaced the transmission mount with a new one (even a selfmade liquid poly filled to stiffen things up) and the guibo/flexdisc.

It got a little better, but it's still mushy, you feel it especially in stop and go and light load (car springs back and forth),
but doing power launches isn't fun either as there is simply to much springy movement in the driveline until the car moves.

Sometimes when pushing the clutch, I hear a taktak sound from the driveline, as if there was some play in the driveshaft or the gears,
but there isn't any play, I've checked when replaced the guibo, at least not in the driveshaft.

So there are only 2 things left,
engine mounts or a weak DMFW.

Could the DMFW cause these sympthoms?
How much play should engine mounts have?

I've seen quite a few videos showing broken DMFW's with lots of free play
caused by weak springs.

Any help is appreciated.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
arye92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e92

have you replaced your clutch yet? my bet is that the dualmass flywheel has too much play and is causing that.
      10-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
Priority 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

I'm currently trying to trouble shoot a very similar issue. I have 83000 miles, and i have some chattering noise when moving slowly and straight with or without a gear selected. Sometimes when i push the clutch in there is some nasty jerking, and it also feels like grinding going around tight corners slowly.

I first started by changing the front diff fluid, tomorrow i'm changing the transmission fluid and rear diff. I'm interested to hear what you figure out. I'd love for the fix to be the clutch because i don't like the worn clutch feel compared to when it was brand new.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arye92
have you replaced your clutch yet? my bet is that the dualmass flywheel has too much play and is causing that.
I think it's still the first clutch,
seems car was driven hard the first 50000km's and was remapped, wich I wasn't aware of, now it's back stock.
Clutch feels tired and engages pretty high but still holding stock torque.
Could it be that the dampening in the DMFW is death, wich causes the springs to act undampened on the driveline and cause the taktak sound when going from loaded to unloaded?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
arye92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i e92

yea, sounds like you're gonna have to replace both the clutch and flywheel. i just had to on mine.
      10-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your input,
I'll upgrade to a aftermarket clutch then.

Seems that the FW is even more abused on the xdrives
as there is practically no wheelspin and all the torque goes into the FW.

Going for a SPEC or ACT Street then with stock or 1M FW.

But not now, this is a project I'll do after the winter.

Best regards
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
serotoninsteve
Private First Class
Rep

Not sure if we have the same problem as I have no noises beside the taktak sound,
but you could check if your noise change when in or out gear and reving the engine up.
Noises are difficult to diagnose if you don't sit in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priority 1 View Post
I'm currently trying to trouble shoot a very similar issue. I have 83000 miles, and i have some chattering noise when moving slowly and straight with or without a gear selected. Sometimes when i push the clutch in there is some nasty jerking, and it also feels like grinding going around tight corners slowly.

I first started by changing the front diff fluid, tomorrow i'm changing the transmission fluid and rear diff. I'm interested to hear what you figure out. I'd love for the fix to be the clutch because i don't like the worn clutch feel compared to when it was brand new.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
mixahhh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i touring LCI

Hi people, My first post to this forum..

Apparently I have similar problem with my car. The powertrain seems to have a lot of clearance. This is especially when reversing or engaging on 1st gear. Also shifting 1st to 2nd usually is not very smooth (With some practice you can do it nicely, but usually there is some "bouncing".

This effect is also present, when accelerating and the suddenly releasing throttle.

Have any of you tried to replace nr. 11 bushings? any help?

I took a picture under the car and somehow the connection seems to be misaligned or loose..:

I realize the car already has 100'000 km's but with my previous 320d I had 190'000 without any kind of sloppiness in drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

if you pushed the clutch in (disengaged) and you hear noises, my guess is the noises are not coming from the drive shaft, most likely the clutch components are making those noises, throw out bearing comes to mind, pressure plate will be my second guess, and then obviously, the clutch disc itself
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
mixahhh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i touring LCI

As an additional info: there are no noises, when car is not moving; when on standstill, engaging or disengaging clutch makes no difference.
Appreciate 0