E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Suspension Leveling Lots of Questions

03-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Suspension Leveling Lots of Questions

Hey guys let me know what you think, I had been trying to level my car with Bilstein PSS 10 for a while now I got it to a point where it is level well almost level. It sits 1/4 In lower in front then in rear (both sides). I have driven the car and can't notice any difference but plan to go do my first track day this year. So the rear of the car when measured from center of wheel to the wheel arch is 1/4 0.5mm higher then in front.

1. Should I adjust the front to 1/4 inch higher or leave it?

I want to have even wight distribution of the car of-course but I would like to know what is the best or proper balance setting.

2. Should there be difference between the front and the rear?

3. If so what should it be for 2008 335i e92 6speed manual?

4. Also I had the dealer do alignment since the last setting, if I change the height in front to 1/4 inch higher will I need new alignment?

5. I'm west of Chicago anyone know of a good shop that can set the balance of the car on 4 wheels or does it even matter with this much difference?

6. Anyone knows of a shop that doesn't charge ARM and leg for alignment?

I called Firestone and they wouldn't even touch my car with a stick...., and last time I paid over $200 for alignment at the dealer.

I know in theory you control the weight balance of the car with your driving style, gas and brake but just want to run that by you guys.... oh ya I have staggered setup .5 in wider wheel in back on 19s.

7. Last question, am I just paranoid, and should I just leave it as is?

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
hugus311
Titanium silver + Sport + Premium
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i (E90)

google corner balancing
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Google has everything ..... reading reading reading...

One last question where can I get DYI tools for best price to corner balance and align the car my self? Don't want to pay for every little adjustment when I go to the track just won't work.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ahhhhhhhhhh after reading on corner balance and equipment needed all my questions have been answered, I'll have a shop do it. I guess if you don't pay you don't play

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK Still debating on this doing it on my own looking for scales now however does anyone have the stock 335i e92 hight per wheel on sport suspension, no navigation, with active stearing, so I can start there? I wish I had taken measurements before I took the stock suspension off. I need to know the difference between front, rear and left and right stock height. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So just for those who don't know I found this thread and it looks like I'm way too low in the front, like at least 20mm too low based on this:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414036

and it looks like this guy is ~31 mm lower in the rear than in the front man is that even right.....? Don't know going to the dealer see if they can do corner balancing for me unless I can find a good performance shop in West Chicago area. I will post results later.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
1/4" higher in the back isn't going to make a difference. The M3 comes with a slight rake towards the front from the factory.

If your goal is to have the car to sit 'even', then don't do corner balancing. Realize that it's accomplished by adjusting the ride height at each corner of the car; the car will not sit 'even' afterwards. Also realize that the car is only corner balanced when YOU are in it, not anyone else or cargo. Take an instructor in your car on the track, which I'm guessing you'll do and ... corner balance defeated. Personally I'd just get a good alignment.

The dealer will not know how or have the equipment to do corner balancing.

Try your regional forum for shop recommendations: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44
      03-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ya I asked the dealer and they don't have the equipment to do this where I did my alignment. Anyhow, I sit 5mm 1/4" lower in front then in the rear so I guess the weight distribution is more towards the front just don't want too much in the front hell I guess I'll just jack up the car in the front 5 mm to make it even and be done with it unless someone can rent me this http://www.intercomp-racing.com/prod..._SCALE_900.cfm and I'm not about to shell out 1K just to weight my car... I'll call amsperformance see if they can do it for less.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Scratch everything, I filled up the gas tank and all measurements on all 4 corners align .... LMFAO.... so I'm an idiot I did the leveling my self last year and I thought the suspension settled to much in front but it turned out I didn't calculate the full gas tank into the equation last week when I measured it........hahahaha, I'm laughing at my self now. Nevertheless, thanks for mentioning the instructor weight CG421, that's what got me thinking again, I would have wasted another $$$300 or more! Once I filled her up the ass dropped 5 MM .... so it's even now.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If you've never been to the track, you're probably not in-tune enough to feel how well a properly corner balanced car would behave.

By the way, to properly corner balance a car, you would load up the car with the same mass distribution as you would typically see on track. So when my car was CB'd, I asked for a 225lbs weight in the driver's seat and 180lbs weight in the passenger seat with 3/4 tank of gas. That's the most normal configuration it would see in track.

The end result was nothing short of phenomenal. For the first time in ages, my tire pressure as measured coming off of a lap would be IDENTICAL at all 4 corners.

By the way, corner balance doesn't involve actually setting front and rear height at the same time. When my car was corner balanced, all they did was move ONE collar maybe 3 turns to get to the desired effect, which is EQUAL weight between the left front plus the right rear, and the right front plus the left rear, resulting in the center of mass crossing the centerline of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by labedra View Post
7. Last question, am I just paranoid, and should I just leave it as is?
Yes, just leave it as is and go enjoy your first track day. If this is your first time on track, you won't be driving your car anywhere close to the limit, so just relax and go enjoy yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
For the first time in ages, my tire pressure as measured coming off of a lap would be IDENTICAL at all 4 corners.
That's awesome!

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0