E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > should i go back and load my front control arms while i have a garage?

09-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi

should i go back and load my front control arms while i have a garage?

Replaced my control arms with meyle HD and didn't load them at the time because multiple people told me it made no difference. Well 2500 miles later I am st family house and have ramps. Should I to back and loosen the bolts and retighten while on rhino ramps?

The only problem I have been having is slight steering wheel viberation between 74-80.. Multiple alignments and balances have done nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I would. Mine loosened in the front subframe because they weren't torqued under load.
      09-16-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

I would to take the constant twisting stress off the bush, although it probably has nothing to do with your vibration.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #4
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender rodriguez View Post
Replaced my control arms with meyle HD and didn't load them at the time because multiple people told me it made no difference. Well 2500 miles later I am st family house and have ramps. Should I to back and loosen the bolts and retighten while on rhino ramps?

The only problem I have been having is slight steering wheel viberation between 74-80.. Multiple alignments and balances have done nothing.

It will make a huge difference in the life of the bushings, if you like to have your bushings stressed while your car is sitting parked then don't do it.

Note: find better people for advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
It will make a huge difference in the life of the bushings, if you like to have your bushings stressed while your car is sitting parked then don't do it.

Note: find better people for advice.
I have researched this greatly.. There seems to be quite a few mechanics that don't load suspension for control arms. Even found an Indy bmw that do not load it. But while I'm here and can do it I suppose I will..

Back to the other problem... I still after months have no idea what is causing this very very slight vibration in the steering wheel. One of my wheels have road rash could that cause it?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
I have researched this greatly.. There seems to be quite a few mechanics that don't load suspension for control arms. Even found an Indy bmw that do not load it. But while I'm here and can do it I suppose I will..

Back to the other problem... I still after months have no idea what is causing this very very slight vibration in the steering wheel. One of my wheels have road rash could that cause it?
Might have a slight bend.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
Might have a slight bend.
Where would I go to get this checked. I am guessing if the bend is big enough they would have caught it during balance.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Where would I go to get this checked. I am guessing if the bend is big enough they would have caught it during balance.
Road force balancer...find one + a competent tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
bender rodriguez
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Road force balancer...find one + a competent tech.
Hard to find.. I had then road force at Firestone. Firestone because they are the only people in town that have road force. And of course they could not find anything.
Appreciate 0