E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Strut: Guide Support question

06-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: //'12 F30 328i\\

Strut: Guide Support question

I recently obtained the old BMW performance kit (dampers) on Ebay. yay me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1038wt_1167

Anyways, I recall in the original sale thread, Evan from Tischer mention that guide supports are needed for the front suspension for certain cars. I wasn't too clear on what years that entails. I have an 06 330 with the Sport package. (build date says March 05) http://bmwfans.info/vin/decoder/?decode=AZ85264

Will this be a simple swap out or do I need to pony up for more parts? Ie: The guide support. (part numbers needed would be great as well) Any help would be appreciated especially those who've installed the performance dampers already. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by IllLojik; 06-18-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

You need them, I have a July 05 build and when I bought the old Performance suspension from Tischer, I was required to buy the revised front strut (bearing) mount. As I wrote in another tread below: "Good thing, the bearings were shot - with them out, one didn't turn at all, the other hesitantly, both were fairly dry of grease. "

Go to RealOEM.com, put in your VIN, and it will show the old and new part numbers.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Just to make sure I'm getting the right piece would this be what you're talking about?

part# 31336760943
#1 in the diagram?
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...16&hg=31&fg=10

Anything else needs to be purchased?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep

Yes, #1, but I believe it's the 31306775098 since you have sports suspension. I'm having a hard time decyphering that page. Email Tischer to verify.

I'd also replace the washer-gasket #6. And pack more bearing grease into the bearings. I had mine out a month later to install lowering perches, and the top 1/3 of the bearings were now exposed as the grease had migrated down into the cup-washer that's below it.

All the other parts are included as part of the kit. I used the many strut/shock install threads on here to guide me through the install. A vise came in handy to hold the strut when disassembling/assembling from the mount. We used 3 small-in-size spring compresses to get the springs compressed enough to get them out.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 06-19-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, you've been a big help. I'll verify the part and look into getting those washers as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep

One more thing, the kit comes with shorter bump stops for use with the BMW performance springs. If you are reusing your sport springs, reuse the bump stops that are on your car now. If you're putting in shorter springs, Eibach, etc., then use the new, shorter bump shops.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
One more thing, the kit comes with shorter bump stops for use with the BMW performance springs. If you are reusing your sport springs, reuse the bump stops that are on your car now. If you're putting in shorter springs, Eibach, etc., then use the new, shorter bump shops.
noted.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
PeteB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Interesting Note re: Bump Stops

This thread is interesting..
I just installed this kit a couple weeks ago and tried to read everything on this site ahead of time.

When we were doing the install I remembered you mentioning the difference in bump stops, AlanAZ. I held up the old front stops to the new ones in the kit, and the new ones were actually a bit narrower but the exact same length! I did end up using the new ones as well as installing the SP lowering perches. Needles to say, the ride is awesome.

I've seen a bunch of photos here of the contents of the kit when people open the package, and they look identical identical to the kit I received.

I don't have my receipt from Tischer in front of me, but the kit part number was different from the part numbers in the install pdf found on this site. Perhaps the pdf was for the newer kit or a different kit. I noticed front and rear sway bars among the parts listed in the pdf, though no springs (which are included in the newer kit right?).
Anyway, sorry for the long post. Any insight you share is always much appreciated, sincerely, Pete
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
IllLojik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for sharing your experience Pete. I'll be sure too take plenty of pics of old parts vs kit. Interesting point about bumps
Appreciate 0