E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Dead battery. A few questions

07-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
egregor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

Dead battery. A few questions

My battery recently failed suddenly. It cranked slowly before one trip before it croaked.. i went to start the car and it threw every light on the dash i can think of. Flat tire pressure monitor, transmission fault, one that was an exclamation point between parentheses. I turned the car off after the transmission fault to avoid doing any damage, and it wouldn't start again until i got a jump. I was wondering a few things:

1. The car is just under 6 years old, 72k miles, is this normal? I have some aftermarket stereo equipment and I'm wondering if maybe it's unduly stressing the electrical system.

2. I just got my water pump replaced after it broke and left me stranded on Thursday. AFAIK, these fail due to electrical issues. Could the low battery have caused this? If so, could the miles i put on the car since have damaged the new pump?

3. Any reason to be concerned about the malfunctioning transmission fault? I drove the car 8 miles to the dealer after this light showed up. I also just got the fluid replaced last week (this is unrelated to the fault i would hope?)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

1. Six years on your original battery was a pretty good service life. Most factory batteries only last around five years average.

2. The water pump commonly fails due to coolant leaking into the electronics module inside the housing.

3. Faulty battery and low voltage sometimes triggers a slew of unrelated fault codes.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
egregor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

Cool, thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0