E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Importing A Bmw

01-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
anquilla
Registered
Rep
Drives: BIMMER

Importing A Bmw

I recently offered to purchase a vehicle from a family member living in United States. The car is a 2008 BMW 335i that I enjoyed driving while visiting the U.S. late last month. I thought that importing this car would be relatively straightforward. Especially considering that our government has publicly stated repeatedly that Canadian pricing should be in line with that available in the United States.

To import this vehicle I have learned the following from speaking to RIV (a government controlled agency) and BMW Canada. Needless to say I am completely shocked and dismayed at what we as Canadian’s are being subjected to by both our government and BWM Canada.

First,I must contact a CANADIAN BMW dealer prior to bringing the car into Canada. This dealer, for a princely sum of $350 will provide a letter of admissibility. I understand this letter is nothing more that a form letter for which I may have to wait up to 45 days to receive. Why does our government force us to contact a Canadian dealer who I did not purchase the car from and for what possible reason? Why can't an American dealer provide the letter? Why not provide an updated RIV list that determines eligibility for all models? Why am I also paying CDN Tire to determine if the vehicle qualifies? Why does BMW charge an exhorbitant fee? Why does any consumer have to pay a retailer to find out if there is outstanding warranty work to be completed? How dangerous is that!

It gets better. Once the car arrives in Canada I will again have to go to Canadian BMW dealer to have it (the vehicle is one month old) physically inspected. The closest Canadian dealer to me is an eight hour drive – each way. Oh yes, the fee for this inspection, $500 PLUS the cost of modifications required to turn on the daytime running lights. Up until November 2007, the modification cost was negligible and the BMW inspection not required. Recently, BMW Canada suddenly determined that to turn on the day time lights requires a complete replacement of all interior gauges (try to figure that one out.) The cost, $1,700 plus $210 for programming. Total fee to BMW Canada to import a 2008 car - $3,000.00. For this outrageous amount the only thing that has occurred is that the day time running lights have been turned on. Something I understand is a two minute programming procedure or a $25 kit from Canadian Tire.

To add insult to injury, the RIV agent also told me from what they have heard you can expect to stand at the back of the line when dealing with BMW Canada. No kidding! They are killing themselves laughing. How humiliating for the rest of us. (The $3,000 is bad enough but I hate being laughed at.)

There is no defensible reason why these rules are in place except to force Canadians to purchase BMW's at a significant premium from Canadian dealers. These rules are developed by Canadian car dealers and supported and enforced by our government through a government controlled agency. If we as Canadian’s want to purchase a car in the United States then we can expect to pay a Canadian dealer an amount that exceeds what the dealer would have made selling the car to us in the first place. Who is making the rules, Canadian dealers - or our government and on whose behalf? Why does our government not only condone but literally enforce these rules while at the same time standing on a pulpit telling us that they demand and support fair pricing.
BMW Canada is certainly not absolved of responsibility in this mess. They should be embarrassed. Have they not learned anything from the historical behaviour of the North American car manufactures? These dinosaurs showed the same arrogance and disdain for the consumer beginning many years ago and look at where they are now!
Times have changed. Consumer’s are no longer guppies who will blindly accept this kind of abuse. Both our government and BMW Canada better wake up – and quickly. One is going to loose the next election while the other is quickly loosing customers for life.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
seifufu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda

anquilla, i agree with everything statement that you made and every question that you raised... you should seriously consider sending a copy of what you wrote to the appropriate department (esp the one that says Canadians should get pricing inline with the US) ... the current situation is ridiculous as it is and these car makers are pushing people like us to the sidelines who refuse to pay a premium for what is essentially the same car as what you can buy for thousands less.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 Silver Merc E63 (W212)

Total BS man...I looked into buying a 335 from the US before getting mine here...really make you jump through hoops now!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
seifufu
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Total BS man...I looked into buying a 335 from the US before getting mine here...really make you jump through hoops now!
no kidding... the gov't is letting BMW Canada set their own rules... and as is always case... self regulation either equal no regulation, or regulations that are completely one sided....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep

Similar to what Anquilla said, I heard they also totally bump you to the back of the bus for service...not sure this could ever happen in the US where Capitalism prevails...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
sandecker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB M3 Ultimate DCT

That's a great rant - I hope you feel better! (really)

BMW Canada doesn't care much for importers and will do all it can to deter you. Yes it's unfortunate, and unjust, that RIV/Transport Canada allows you to be held hostage by the recall letter - when all you need to do is switch on the DRLs yourself, which is sufficient to meet the TC safety compliance inspection. It's not too difficult to determine recall status of any given car, and if RIV did this directly manufacturers would have no leverage against you.

But aside from writing a few letters to your local MP, there's nothing you can do about it. So accept it, get a good nights' sleep - then go work out the figures and determine how much you can still save importing from the US.

EXAMPLE: There is a AW 07 335i for sale on this forum - fully loaded, NAV, mtech, 19" wheels, premium and sport - price is $37500 US.

$37500 / .97 (current exchange) = $38625 CAD
+ RIV fee $206.70 + AC tax $106 + duty 6.1% $2356 + GST $2049 + PST 8%ontario $3060 + BMW extortion fee $3000

GRAND TOTAL = $49,402.

That same used car built for canada will run you anywhere from $54-$58k tax in from an ontario dealer. And how about $68k-$70k for a brand new one!

The U.S. will be (is) in recession mode soon = even better deals on used BMWs as people look to unload pricey assets. If the US dollar starts to tank again, look for the CAD$ to move up - a 10 cent move that takes us back to where we actually were just a few months ago would lop off another $4200 - now you're looking at $45k all in!

Not to mention there is a huge selection of slightly used 07 335i available - so you get your pick of color/options etc. vs. take your pick of a handful of higher mileage, lower optioned used ones available in Canada!

It is the CAD/US$ exchange rate that is the true power behind escalating US imports - and no manufacturer, dealer, or even transport canada has a say over that. Be patient, eventually conditions will again strongly position Canadian buyers and it will be a no-brainer.

And as far as service goes - the dealers' still want your business, and they want you to buy your next car from them as well - don't be surprised if they treat you the same as any other BMW customer - good or bad - that is really more of a dealer specific issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
trickydisco
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

nice first post

Barrington
2006 330i sedan TiAg
1998 Porsche 911 C2S
1969 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
chromerl
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: B/S 335i

Welcome to the forum
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
Ado
King Kong
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That's just insane..........

I'm actually in the process of importing one my self although I'm in a different position with mine being a 1991 (out of warranty car).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
PBureno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandecker View Post
That's a great rant - I hope you feel better! (really)

BMW Canada doesn't care much for importers and will do all it can to deter you. Yes it's unfortunate, and unjust, that RIV/Transport Canada allows you to be held hostage by the recall letter - when all you need to do is switch on the DRLs yourself, which is sufficient to meet the TC safety compliance inspection. It's not too difficult to determine recall status of any given car, and if RIV did this directly manufacturers would have no leverage against you.

But aside from writing a few letters to your local MP, there's nothing you can do about it. So accept it, get a good nights' sleep - then go work out the figures and determine how much you can still save importing from the US.

EXAMPLE: There is a AW 07 335i for sale on this forum - fully loaded, NAV, mtech, 19" wheels, premium and sport - price is $37500 US.

$37500 / .97 (current exchange) = $38625 CAD
+ RIV fee $206.70 + AC tax $106 + duty 6.1% $2356 + GST $2049 + PST 8%ontario $3060 + BMW extortion fee $3000

GRAND TOTAL = $49,402.

That same used car built for canada will run you anywhere from $54-$58k tax in from an ontario dealer. And how about $68k-$70k for a brand new one!

The U.S. will be (is) in recession mode soon = even better deals on used BMWs as people look to unload pricey assets. If the US dollar starts to tank again, look for the CAD$ to move up - a 10 cent move that takes us back to where we actually were just a few months ago would lop off another $4200 - now you're looking at $45k all in!

Not to mention there is a huge selection of slightly used 07 335i available - so you get your pick of color/options etc. vs. take your pick of a handful of higher mileage, lower optioned used ones available in Canada!

It is the CAD/US$ exchange rate that is the true power behind escalating US imports - and no manufacturer, dealer, or even transport canada has a say over that. Be patient, eventually conditions will again strongly position Canadian buyers and it will be a no-brainer.

And as far as service goes - the dealers' still want your business, and they want you to buy your next car from them as well - don't be surprised if they treat you the same as any other BMW customer - good or bad - that is really more of a dealer specific issue.

LETS HOPE! FINGERS CROSSED
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
faston
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe xDrive

Good post Anquilla.

What it boils down to is that the import process is an honour system between RIV and the manufacturers and BMW Canada has no honour.

In order to expedite matters, RIV asks (lets) the manufacturer to tell it what cars need to be compliant with Canadian regulations. Very simple; needs DRL's.

This all worked well until it became financially advantageous for Canadians to import. Them BMW Canada subverted the process to add all these outrageous restrictions and associated charges before giving the simple answer that RIV was asking for.

What's the answer? I don't know. I think the honour system is needed or RIV would have to check each car from each manufacturer to ensure it complies. Hundreds and hundreds of models. Not feasible.

As customers we can choose to buy a BMW in USA and go through the horrendous hurdles required to import it or buy something else that is easy to import. Those Infiniti's are looking mighty good in light of this.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
frankjoe57
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i sedan

Sad but true

BMW Canada is making it VERY difficult to import a car from the U.S.A.
Here is what you need:
- Letter of admissibility $350
(you MUST have this letter BEFORE you bring the car across the border)
- Recall clearance letter $500
- Activate daytime-running-lights- (included with cluster replacement)
- Metric conversion- (included with cluster replacement)
- Instrument cluster- $1230 pre tax parts and $375 pre tax lab
This is based on my real-life experience with a 2007 BMW 335i sedan. (It was still worth the aggravation however.)
Do your homework and call two or three dealerships to get a quote on making the car Canadian compliant. (Apparently it is even worse for a 5 series car.)
At some point they (BMW Canada) piss you off enough to do a U.S. deal with minimal savings.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
benyl
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '10 W204 w/m156

The reason you need to change the cluster is because on US cars, you car turn off the DRLs on your own. It is law that DRLs must function. The Canadian cluster has software that disables your ability to turn them on and off.

Don't worry about service and being at the back of the line. That is how BMW dealers treat all their customers. Like shit....
      01-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
kick
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1985 E28

Does all this nonsense apply to older bimmers? I've been looking at bringing in an E39 or an '04 E60 next year.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

like all industries in Canada, government officials and car manufacturers are working together to under-mine the consumers...
      01-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #16
RockyDogg
Private
Rep
Drives: TBD

Its different for you since you are buying from a private sale. If anyone is looking to cross border shop for a bmw, a good car broker can work wonders. Saves you headache and still realize enough of the savings from cross border shopping to make it worthwhile.

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #17
benyl
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick View Post
Does all this nonsense apply to older bimmers? I've been looking at bringing in an E39 or an '04 E60 next year.
I don't think so. Not sure about the E60.
      01-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #18
gregarious
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Question: I just moved to Canada from the US and am going through the painful process of importing an 06 build date e90 335i. I had the metric cluster installed and DRL’s programmed. One difference I didn't expect was that a fuel consumption gauge is now in place of the temp gauge. In the US, all 335i's have the temp gauge. Lesser models get the consumption gauge. Here is the question: did early build e90 335i's in Canada come with a consumption gauge instead of temp? Did the f'ing BMW stealer install the wrong cluster in my car and then lie about it? Coming from the US, I am compelled to say that Canadians are get screwed so incredibly badly by BMW Canada and are getting bent over again at the stealer.

What sucks even more is that I have to reinstall my old cluster in a year or so when I head back to the States…BUT it will cost me peanuts to get it done in the US.

BMW, are you reading this? NEVER AGAIN!

e90 - 335i - Prem - Sport - Cold - 6mt - Jet Black - Black Leather - Al Trim
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #19
benyl
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Um, they bent you over. You should have an oil temp gauge. That is the WRONG cluster.
      01-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
darklord
Ruler of the Universe
Canada
Rep

Agreed - I have the oil temp gauge as well...I think they fell asleep behind the wheel!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #21
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick View Post
Yes, with an E60, you can expect the bill to be closer to $5k for cluster, light control module and possibly the body control module.

The real issue is not the cost of importing the vehicle but why is there such a differential between US and CDN pricing? Have you seen the difference on 135 pricing? Fully loaded, a 135 looks like it is going to be over $50k CDN.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
benyl
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The difference was due to our $0.60 dollar just a few short years ago. The problem is, BMW Canada hasn't been adjusting with the appreciation of our dollar.

Before the bottom fell out and we had a $0.75 dollar for a long time, cars were actually cheaper in Canada. Trucks especially were being exported to the US. I remember when Chrysler made you sign a contract saying your would not export the vehicle to the US for at least 1 year.

Most other manufacturers are making adjustments. BMW is standing firm. Canada, from what I have heard, is the second cheapest place in the world to buy a BMW. Can you imagine paying 50,000 pounds for a car in the UK?