E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > questions...335i lovers

08-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

OP, good for you to ask this prior to your purchase. Only if I've done the same...

I've owned my '07 335i for the past 1.5 years putting in about 40,000 miles, inclusive of about 10 track days. I bought the car with only 1 prior owner, who didn't do any of the recalls. Apparently, CarFax did not show the maintenance history in detail, nor did it show the accident repair at the time.

My first year of ownership was painful. I had to go through numerous trial and error with local BMW service center, replacing many different parts to make the car run well. Mind you, I did purchase my car with CPO, and I still have it until the end of this year, yet you should also know that CPO deductible is $50 only if they do manage to find out that the part in fault is in fact covered under warranty. Otherwise, you need to pay $135 for their inspection fee, while not getting the repair done. I did not know this either. All in all, I ended up spending about $5,000-8,000 in repairs and maintenance during my ownership.

However, that is not to say that all of it was spent on absolutely necessary repairs; I would say about half of it was to entertain my anal nature of over-preventative-maintenance. For the last 6 months or so, I haven't had to do any significant work to my car, and it has been running pretty fantastic, even at 90,000 miles with all OEM parts, also considering that most of my track days have been during this hot summer without a single limp mode or overheat issue.

Now, second: The N54 engine for these cars is very easy to get significantly more power. If you're planning on doing some power mods regardless of what car, 335i is definitely one of the most cost-effective cars out there.

Last but not least, you mentioned that you're okay with the purchase price of around $30k. I just want to note that the resale value for these cars are pretty crappy. I'd say the moment you sign the contract, your car's value plummets about $5-10k.

In summary, know what you're getting yourself into, and get ready to spend some money on maintenance as these cars react very well to them. If/when stars line up well, the car will give you extraordinarily-priceless smiles.

Common faulty items that may or may not be covered under warr/recall:
Injectors, HPFP, LPFS, wastegates, Vanos solenoids, waterpump
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #24
335xiBimmer2008
Rep
n/a
Drives:

^^ great info ! Did not know that about the CPO deductibles . Now will they charge me anything if I bring it in and ask about the recalls for HPFP and fuel Injectors? Or will they take it in no questions asked ?... Thanks everyone I appreciate it all
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiBimmer2008 View Post
^^ great info ! Did not know that about the CPO deductibles . Now will they charge me anything if I bring it in and ask about the recalls for HPFP and fuel Injectors? Or will they take it in no questions asked ?... Thanks everyone I appreciate it all
If you have the VIN, you can call any BMW Dealer and ask them to check the vehicles service history. I did this with 3 or 4 different cars & the conversation always ended with them suggesting alternatives at their dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #26
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
OP, tough choice.

The G37 and other competitors are nice, but after one test drive, I was ready to take my chances. Now I bought mine new so it's not the same but we are thinking of keeping it for the long haul. Even though we originally thought we'd replace it with something else once my M comes, we have not so far. Ours has not had any issues to date. (Never had an HPFP issue and had the recall). It also has no squeaks or rattles - solid like in the beginning. This makes us a little more confident about its longer-term prospects.

For its class/ price range, nothing drives like it and it's a great everyday car. (I have a coupe and I still find it practical - can lug 4 in comfort. Can transport big screen TV, a set 4 19" wheels, etc.)

I keep all my maintenance records.

You have to really think hard about what you want more (more performance, more reliability, etc.) And what you want to reasonably spend on a car, should issues arise. It can be very expensive on a car like this. Do you have those funds there, just in case?

Personally, I'd do a whole lot of research and take my time (if possible), and seek out one that has been loved and well-taken care of - with all maintenance records if possible. Test drive the G as well though. That will help you decide.

If you find a well-cared for 335i, which still feels solid like a brand new one when you drive it, is really clean on the inside and underneath, with no flags in the history, I think I'd go for it.... but...... I'm speaking as someone who has had a great experience so far...
      08-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #27
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xiBimmer2008 View Post
I had wastegate rattle right before my last service scheduled under four yr warranty. On my next scheduled service after warranty ran out, I mentioned that I still had wastegate rattle. Dealer replaced the turbos and updated the DME under warranty and everything is fine, like new, and it was free.

Now, I bought new and have had it for 66K miles and 6 years and I intend to keep it until it dies. My fave purchase, COBB tuned to 400HP at the crank and over 400lb-ft TQ. It's a beast, and stealthy too. Looks like a sedate sedan (that's how I like it, under cover beast).

I don't have extended warranty...I pay as I go, and I think too many people on this microcosm of a forum obsess on the slightest thing and complaints are so concentrated that reality on this forum is not reflective of the general population of 335i owners.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #28
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Just wanted to say,

I've owned two E92 335xi's, with 130,000 total miles on both.

Three total fuel pumps, all done as recall while car was in for service, I never once broke down.

I had the injector recall done on one car under warranty. Bought and replaced one coilpack. Replaced spark plugs on both cars every 20,000 miles.

Other than that just normal maintenance costs.

They have been without question, the most reliable vehicles i have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
ihc95
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 2018 Mustang GT

Garage List
My only concern with this is that you're going for an XI, which has been know to have problems with the transfer box and so on. My uncle is a BMW mechanic and told me that he always has ppl coming in for problems with the AWD system. If you're looking at a RWD Infiniti, why cant you get a RWD 335i? Much better imo
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #30
335xiBimmer2008
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihc95 View Post
My only concern with this is that you're going for an XI, which has been know to have problems with the transfer box and so on. My uncle is a BMW mechanic and told me that he always has ppl coming in for problems with the AWD system. If you're looking at a RWD Infiniti, why cant you get a RWD 335i? Much better imo
I was looking at an xi when I made this Screenname... But now my eyes are on an I, when I pick her up, ill make a new Screenname and make an introduction... I wanna thank everyone who chimed in, its basically hit or miss, and if missed, when fixed, the car will be worth every penny, thats the summary that I have gotten from everyone. thanks guys!
Appreciate 0