E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rev 3 install question

02-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Rev 3 install question

Ok so upgraded my rev 2.5 to rev3 with harness and everything. Everything is connected but one thing. The PWM meth kit came with an small (relay, "small black power box") and when I got the rev 3 it also came with one on which power wires are connecting to it by female blades. I now have 2 of those little boxes do I leave them like that or do I get rid of one??
Kinda confuse, I hope I was clear enough.
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

That's likely the 2step/nls relay... Check out the install instructions for it
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN
That's likely the 2step/nls relay... Check out the install instructions for it
Can't find it. The install is old doc abt rev 2
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbmer View Post
Ok so upgraded my rev 2.5 to rev3 with harness and everything. Everything is connected but one thing. The PWM meth kit came with an small (relay, "small black power box") and when I got the rev 3 it also came with one on which power wires are connecting to it by female blades. I now have 2 of those little boxes do I leave them like that or do I get rid of one??
Kinda confuse, I hope I was clear enough.
Yes, you can just ignore one of the relays. You only need one when you are running the Procede/PWM Meth combo
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Kris 335i
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Yes, you can just ignore one of the relays. You only need one when you are running the Procede/PWM Meth combo
Shiv, there seems to be a lot of confusion on this. So you wire up the PWM relay and that will work for NLS as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris 335i View Post
Shiv, there seems to be a lot of confusion on this. So you wire up the PWM relay and that will work for NLS as well?
Nope. For NLS, you will need a 2nd relay. The first relay i was referring to was just for the PWM meth/power power (so it draws power from the battery and not DME fuel/ignition circuit)

On Monday, I'm going to whip up a little schematic for those who want to use NLS but are running rev3 proceeds with rev2 harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #7
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok so I have 1 relay from pwm meth kit with 2 female terminal (PWM meth kit wires) then I have 1 more relay with procede Rev3 female terminals.

The older Rev2.5 had 2 terminal going to 1 relay but since I no longer have 2.5 do I leave those spots empty??
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok so I have 1 relay from pwm meth kit with 2 female terminal (PWM meth kit wires) then I have 1 more relay with procede Rev3 female terminals.

The older Rev2.5 had 2 terminal going to 1 relay but since I no longer have 2.5 do I leave those spots empty??
I think you are thinking it is more complicate than it is. For your Procede and PWM meth kit, you will only be using one relay. And you will install it exactly as shown in the PWM meth install guide. The install is the same regardless of Procede revision.

The only time you will add another relay is if you use NLS/2-step and the NLS install guide describes this. I'll add some clarity to it on Monday when i get back to the office.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok cool. Haven drove the car in 2 weeks so in kinda have the urge to drive it tmrw.
Which one do I remove. The one from the PWM kit with to wires connected or the one that came on the procede?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Ok cool. Haven drove the car in 2 weeks so in kinda have the urge to drive it tmrw.
Which one do I remove. The one from the PWM kit with to wires connected or the one that came on the procede?
Just look at the install guides and it should be pretty clear. If you don't want nls, discard the relay that is new.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN
Quote:
Just look at the install guides and it should be pretty clear. If you don't want nls, discard the relay that is new.
Ok. But the PWM power wire is different on rev3.
Before on rev2 u would cut the power wire (red wire in middle) add the female blades then instal them on the corresponding terminals of the relay.
On rev3 the relay if full practically so I just leave it as it is but my question is do u need to cut the red power wire again just like on the rev2 then install the female blade on the PWM relay?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok. But the PWM power wire is different on rev3.
Before on rev2 u would cut the power wire (red wire in middle) add the female blades then instal them on the corresponding terminals of the relay.
On rev3 the relay if full practically so I just leave it as it is but my question is do u need to cut the red power wire again just like on the rev2 then install the female blade on the PWM relay?
Yes, rev3 installs exactly the same way when used with a pwm meth kit. Cut power wire that goes to green connector, crimp on blade connectors and route to relay. As shown in instructions.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Kris 335i
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Nope. For NLS, you will need a 2nd relay. The first relay i was referring to was just for the PWM meth/power power (so it draws power from the battery and not DME fuel/ignition circuit)

On Monday, I'm going to whip up a little schematic for those who want to use NLS but are running rev3 proceeds with rev2 harnesses.
That would be helpful. Correct me if I understand this wrong. The butt connector installed in step 3 of the NLS instructions (same step both harnesses) is deleted, and female terminals are installed. Then the proceed side of the wire goes into terminal 87 on the PWM relay, and the power wire coming from the NLS relay goes into terminal 85 of the PWM relay.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris 335i View Post
That would be helpful. Correct me if I understand this wrong. The butt connector installed in step 3 of the NLS instructions (same step both harnesses) is deleted, and female terminals are installed. Then the proceed side of the wire goes into terminal 87 on the PWM relay, and the power wire coming from the NLS relay goes into terminal 85 of the PWM relay.
yes sir. the red wire coming from the procede goes into terminal 87 on the pwm relay and the other red wire coming from the powerwire connected on the NLS relay goes on terminal 85.
Appreciate 0