E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Adaptive Headlight Sits too Low

07-11-2015, 02:58 AM   #1
mondevx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT LCI

Adaptive Headlight Sits too Low

I have a 2009 e90 335i 6MT, hit this elevation over a bridge that caused an adaptive headlight malfunction. When looking at the actual headlight the xenon sits way too low when compared to the passenger side.

I've read tons of threads saying that the up/down adjuster has popped out of place (which makes complete sense) since this error showed up right after the hit.

Where exactly is this piece that adjusts the headlight movement (up/down & left/rigjt)?

I plan on taking the wheel cover off and inspect for any damage, but would really help out if I knew exactly which piece adjusts the adaptive headlight.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondevx View Post
I have a 2009 e90 335i 6MT, hit this elevation over a bridge that caused an adaptive headlight malfunction. When looking at the actual headlight the xenon sits way too low when compared to the passenger side.

I've read tons of threads saying that the up/down adjuster has popped out of place (which makes complete sense) since this error showed up right after the hit.

Where exactly is this piece that adjusts the headlight movement (up/down & left/rigjt)?

I plan on taking the wheel cover off and inspect for any damage, but would really help out if I knew exactly which piece adjusts the adaptive headlight.

Any input is appreciated, thank you.
You'll have to look it up to double check, but I believe there's a sensor under each strut, or maybe only one. Realoem will have the diagram.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
You'll have to look it up to double check, but I believe there's a sensor under each strut, or maybe only one. Realoem will have the diagram.
That is just the leveler, one on the front left control arms and one one the rear left control arm. The actual electrical motors that move the lens up and down and left and right are inside the heal light assembly. They are electrical motor with ball rod mounted on its shaft. However even if popped out of place you will not get an error massage, just the light beam would be off. No error because the electrical motor will still operate but will not move the lens. The headlight has module mounted on the assembly, on the bottom of the housing, behind the bumper. I believe that this module is either fried or hopefully just disconnected from the bump.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
jwalker87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '11 335xi, '01 Z3M

The suspension levers are on the driver's side, one front and one rear. If those were the problem, both headlights would pointing up or down. What feuer said. Problem is most likely with the electric motor inside the affected headlight.
2011 e70 x5 diesel
2010 Ducati Monster 696
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
mondevx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
That is just the leveler, one on the front left control arms and one one the rear left control arm. The actual electrical motors that move the lens up and down and left and right are inside the heal light assembly. They are electrical motor with ball rod mounted on its shaft. However even if popped out of place you will not get an error massage, just the light beam would be off. No error because the electrical motor will still operate but will not move the lens. The headlight has module mounted on the assembly, on the bottom of the housing, behind the bumper. I believe that this module is either fried or hopefully just disconnected from the bump.
Interesting. One thing I forgot to mention though is that the error message didn't immediately illuminate. I hit this elevation in the morning on the way to work, no error messages popped up. I drove the car home after 8 hours of sitting with no errors either.

Then when I left at night, I noticed that the driver's side light was shining too low, and the error message popped up after about 4-5 turns.

Could it be that the ball joint popped out, and is giving the error because it can't move properly? My understanding would be if the module was toast that this error would be on all the time, not come on only at night (especially during turns).
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 09:34 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. One thing I forgot to mention though is that the error message didn't immediately illuminate. I hit this elevation in the morning on the way to work, no error messages popped up. I drove the car home after 8 hours of sitting with no errors either.

Then when I left at night, I noticed that the driver's side light was shining too low, and the error message popped up after about 4-5 turns.

Could it be that the ball joint popped out, and is giving the error because it can't move properly? My understanding would be if the module was toast that this error would be on all the time, not come on only at night (especially during turns).
The head lights beam turns left and right only when the switch is on auto. Inside the head light assembly you have two electrical motors. One for up and down, one for left right. If is just popped out it will not give error message because it will continue to work but will not move the lense. Now if you hittng the bump cause it to jam up, get stuck, it will not be able to operate as designed and show error message. Lift the car, remove the wheel, remove the fender inner liner, remove the back cover of the head light assembly and inspectt inside. The motor for up and down is the engine side, the motor for left and right is on the turn signal side. Have somebody turn on the lights on auto and steer left and right and you observe what the motors are doing. Also if the modul on the bottom of the head light is loose it might work intermittently. Inspect it as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
mondevx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The head lights beam turns left and right only when the switch is on auto. Inside the head light assembly you have two electrical motors. One for up and down, one for left right. If is just popped out it will not give error message because it will continue to work but will not move the lense. Now if you hittng the bump cause it to jam up, get stuck, it will not be able to operate as designed and show error message. Lift the car, remove the wheel, remove the fender inner liner, remove the back cover of the head light assembly and inspectt inside. The motor for up and down is the engine side, the motor for left and right is on the turn signal side. Have somebody turn on the lights on auto and steer left and right and you observe what the motors are doing. Also if the modul on the bottom of the head light is loose it might work intermittently. Inspect it as well.
Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and removed the fender liner and got to the light, the ball joint was not connected to the actual light. I was able to unscrew the little motor and it came right out without latching onto anything. After several tries I finally managed to get the ball joint back into place, everything seems fine.

I drove around for a while with the lights on (on auto) and noticed they were leveling/etc. so I thought all was good.

I took it for another test drive late at night and I realized I adjusted the lights just a tad bit too high, but the weird thing is is that the adaptive lights adjust up/down on startup, but only move to the right when driving? This isn't just the problematic light but BOTH lights.

So the lights seem to work and move just fine when making a right turn, but they do not move when making a left turn.

WTF any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

I would assume is the modules. Do you really want this feature? I code mine out. Hook it up to a computer and you will find out more.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
mondevx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would assume is the modules. Do you really want this feature? I code mine out. Hook it up to a computer and you will find out more.
Actually based on bimmerpost this is a normal feature.

"the projectors only pivot left when the car is in motion for LHD cars, its to prevent blinding oncoming drivers when stopped at a light."

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=404994

Guess I'll just need to aim them down a bit and be on my way.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and removed the fender liner and got to the light, the ball joint was not connected to the actual light. I was able to unscrew the little motor and it came right out without latching onto anything. After several tries I finally managed to get the ball joint back into place, everything seems fine.

I drove around for a while with the lights on (on auto) and noticed they were leveling/etc. so I thought all was good.

I took it for another test drive late at night and I realized I adjusted the lights just a tad bit too high, but the weird thing is is that the adaptive lights adjust up/down on startup, but only move to the right when driving? This isn't just the problematic light but BOTH lights.

So the lights seem to work and move just fine when making a right turn, but they do not move when making a left turn.

WTF any ideas?
I need to get the motor out of my headlight and re-insert it i guess as well. Did you by chance take any pictures? Mine don't go up/down well.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I need to get the motor out of my headlight and re-insert it i guess as well. Did you by chance take any pictures? Mine don't go up/down well.
its very straightforward once you have the back cover off. i had the same thing. the projector lense popped off the servo motor ball end. snapped it back in and its been good ever since. a big pot hole knocked it off.

now as far as swiveling left thats normal. when sitting still, they swivel alot more to the right than they do to the left.

one more test though. when you switch the headlights from OFF to AUTO at night do the lights dip up then back down? they do a test each time to make sure up and down movement is working.

only time ive gotten an adaptive headlight error is when condensatrion inside my headlight dripped down and fired the AHL module.

also when you turn the wheel left or right do the cornering lights come on?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
mondevx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
This thread helped me out (has great images).
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494479
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:12 AM   #13
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
I have this issue on the passanger side. Long time ago before i knew about my angel lights, me a friend thought the angel lights could be changed from the hood side and accidently popped out the leveler. Man it was a pain to put it back into place. I somehow did it but the level control is off when auto level kicks in when turning on car. The one we messed up is bit slower that the left. I probably can remove the headlight and fix it but is time consuming. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 01:39 AM   #14
steitnifols
Rep
Drives: bmw

The suspension levers are on the driver's side, one front and one rear.