E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Owned the car for 7 months and have had 2 SES Lights come on

01-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Owned the car for 7 months and have had 2 SES Lights come on

Just wanted to test the waters on if other owners are experiencing the same issues as me. I purchased the car used, 2011 335d with around 30k miles. At 33k I brought it to the dealership to perform the EGR recall. After driving it for about a week after the recall being done, I get a SES lights. Brought it back to the dealer and my SA says he needs to replace the metering valve. No problem takes a few days and I get my car back. I drive it another 2 months or so and get another SES light. This time the SA says he needs to replace my DEF fluid tank. The tank is on back order so it's been about 1 month without my car waiting for the part. I got news a few hours ago that it's done. Any users on here experience any issues. It's been 7 months and 2 SES lights. Seems like a car I'm starting to not feel confident about in keeping past it's warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
Just wanted to test the waters on if other owners are experiencing the same issues as me. I purchased the car used, 2011 335d with around 30k miles. At 33k I brought it to the dealership to perform the EGR recall. After driving it for about a week after the recall being done, I get a SES lights. Brought it back to the dealer and my SA says he needs to replace the metering valve. No problem takes a few days and I get my car back. I drive it another 2 months or so and get another SES light. This time the SA says he needs to replace my DEF fluid tank. The tank is on back order so it's been about 1 month without my car waiting for the part. I got news a few hours ago that it's done. Any users on here experience any issues. It's been 7 months and 2 SES lights. Seems like a car I'm starting to not feel confident about in keeping past it's warranty period.
I think we've all probably had similar issues. Ever since the first recall, they can't seem to get the programming right.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
I have also had 2 issues. The first SES was for bad glow plugs. All plugs were replaced, a couple days repair. The last time, the SES was the NOX sensors. Just before I went to take it in the "No Start 999 Miles" came on. I thought no big deal, as they probably just forgot to refill the second tank at service. Not so fast. Some sort of a sensor was bad in the tank requiring the tank to be replaced.

It took 1 week to replace. I was given a 2013 328 loner for the week. When I picked up the car the they showed me the total for the NOX and Urea Tank. The total was over $4k. My car is under factory warranty so I didn't pay a thing. I also have CPO until 100k or 8/15. Bottom line is I would not buy one of these without a warranty, or I would extend the warranty if you plan on keeping it. My car had 45k on it. Imagine this happening just over 50k without a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Built4Sin
TL/DR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [9.00]
2014 Audi Q7 TDI  [0.00]
When I purchased mine a few months ago, I had the service department print me out a full history of the VIN. Looking through it I found I had all the same UREA things done as you. I believe (top of my head, I'm at work) it was around 9000 miles and they changed out the meter valve and tank.

I'm at about 26k miles now and everything runs like a champ. I've put almost 8k miles on it since October 2012.

-2009 335D
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
It is kind of discouraging because I'm afraid after 50k I'm SOL. The interesting thing is that they are all sensors and not just narrowed down on one single one but a handful of sensors that can go out and cause the emissions system to throw an SES light. I will definitely look into getting the extended warranty once it hit 50k, if I decide to keep the car. Once my extended warranty expires I will sell off the car. This is my first german car and from what I am experiencing, all the rumors about reliability seem true.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I finally received my car back last night. My SA says that the cost to fix everything totaled over 7k! Good thing I'm still under warranty. They had to replace the entire SCR system. Crystallazation on both active and passive tanks caused the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

They should just get rid of the whole emissions system all together and be done with it.

This should be BMW's response to any hippy complaining.
      01-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
They should just get rid of the whole emissions system all together and be done with it.

This should be BMW's response to any hippy complaining.
Sorry, I disagree.

The Urea system is a brilliant use of a simple chemical reaction. We don't need to needlessly spew pollution.

I'll agree that BMW are still working out kinks....but they'll get it. Especially when Europe has the level 6 standards setting in next yearish.
Appreciate 0