E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Food!

01-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
prt71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

We need details, can I get a scoop as an egullet member?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
I wouldn't get too excited.... It will be like those takeaway menus that show gorgeous curries and pizzas in authentic Tandoor's etc....

Then when you get there, a bloke bangs some Chicken Tikka in a microwave and wraps it up in tin foil lol....

I'm kidding!!!

Tony, if you want some fancy words writing for your marketing material, you know I am your man - I will need to taste it to be confident though

Matt

I can see it now ' by eck lad that grub tastes reet nice, i'm fookin stuffed'
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post

I can see it now ' by eck lad that grub tastes reet nice, i'm fookin stuffed'
Tha must be fooking dafter than thar look lad. I'll not be filled up on that there southern yuppie food. Wellington? Bollocks. It's a pie, but for poofs, that is.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #26
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Impressive Tony, its going be to winner

Look forward to catching up soon, we're also looking to expand
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #27
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Funny comments from a lot of you!

Details then.... The Penny Black Restaurant, on Fulham Road in London.

Three years in the making/planning, and finally it's coming to fruition. Still loads to be done and the builders are working away, but the end is in sight! Hence why I haven't been on the forum as much in terms of actively posting.... Will post some pictures of the whole restaurant build process on here over the next few days. Think the soft openings will be in about three weeks time, with the big press launch later in February.

The restaurant will be high-end old British food, around £60 per head for three courses including some wine, featuring things like the Beef Wellington and Helford River mussels seen already. There'll be old school British food like Toad in the Hole, roasted turbot, Welsh lamb racks, shepherd's pie etc etc... Also bringing back arctic roll, treacle tart, bananas and custard, bread and butter pudding etc...

Basically, it's food that's to be eaten, not just looked at and admired! There are too many restaurants in London where food is presented beautifully, but just doesn't fill you up or actually that pleasant to eat. Also, there are loads of Italian, French, Chinese and Indian restaurants etc, but hardly any places that do great British food.

Take the Sunday Roast for example - you can go to your local pub and pay £18 (down here) for a plate of cardboard roast. I on the other hand will be pre-booking Sunday reservations only and if a group of people want to have roast beef, I'll serve a whole joint of forerib of beef, brought to the table and carved, then plonked in the middle of the table with a mountain of roast potatoes, plate-sized Yorkshire puddings and a pile of vegetables for everyone to dig in and share. In other words, proper food!!

I'm all about supporting British produce, farmers and suppliers too. All meat will be from the Ginger Pig in Yorkshire, most seafood from Helford River, lobster off the coast of Scotland and vegetables from Surrey and Kent farms. There will be over one hundred wines starting at £18 and going to thousands, fifteen champagnes, a cocktail list of over one hundred drinks, two lounge areas and enough seating for seventy in one sitting.

It's a really exciting project and the national press has really taken a big interest in it. Look out for it over the coming months in the papers and glossy mags! Also, I'm sure I'll be seeing some of you at the restaurant sometime soon!

Oh, and Kevin (zltm) has really kindly offered to pay the restaurant bill at the next E90post.com meet - I, and we, should thank him in advance!! Such a generous bloke
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #28
flyfs6
Captain
Rep

Wow this sounds amazing and exciting. Very well done, you deserve it. Although I'm sure you've got it all covered, but if you feel we can be helpful in anyway we will be glad to help. Wishing you and the team lots of good health and prosperity.

Oh, thanks Kevin for paying my bill in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #29
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
Wow this sounds amazing and exciting. Very well done, you deserve it. Although I'm sure you've got it all covered, but if you feel we can be helpful in anyway we will be glad to help. Wishing you and the team lots of good health and prosperity.

Oh, thanks Kevin for paying my bill in advance.
Thanks so much buddy

We are long overdue a catch up by the way... are you in the UK? And for how long?!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #30
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Tha must be fooking dafter than thar look lad. I'll not be filled up on that there southern yuppie food. Wellington? Bollocks. It's a pie, but for poofs, that is.

Matt
Garlic bread! garlic and bread........ Am I hearing you right.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #31
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

The Beef Wellington looks dishlicious

Tony ill have a table for 2.
      01-18-2011, 03:23 AM   #32
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Funny comments from a lot of you!

Details then.... The Penny Black Restaurant, on Fulham Road in London.

Three years in the making/planning, and finally it's coming to fruition. Still loads to be done and the builders are working away, but the end is in sight! Hence why I haven't been on the forum as much in terms of actively posting.... Will post some pictures of the whole restaurant build process on here over the next few days. Think the soft openings will be in about three weeks time, with the big press launch later in February.

The restaurant will be high-end old British food, around £60 per head for three courses including some wine, featuring things like the Beef Wellington and Helford River mussels seen already. There'll be old school British food like Toad in the Hole, roasted turbot, Welsh lamb racks, shepherd's pie etc etc... Also bringing back arctic roll, treacle tart, bananas and custard, bread and butter pudding etc...

Basically, it's food that's to be eaten, not just looked at and admired! There are too many restaurants in London where food is presented beautifully, but just doesn't fill you up or actually that pleasant to eat. Also, there are loads of Italian, French, Chinese and Indian restaurants etc, but hardly any places that do great British food.

Take the Sunday Roast for example - you can go to your local pub and pay £18 (down here) for a plate of cardboard roast. I on the other hand will be pre-booking Sunday reservations only and if a group of people want to have roast beef, I'll serve a whole joint of forerib of beef, brought to the table and carved, then plonked in the middle of the table with a mountain of roast potatoes, plate-sized Yorkshire puddings and a pile of vegetables for everyone to dig in and share. In other words, proper food!!

I'm all about supporting British produce, farmers and suppliers too. All meat will be from the Ginger Pig in Yorkshire, most seafood from Helford River, lobster off the coast of Scotland and vegetables from Surrey and Kent farms. There will be over one hundred wines starting at £18 and going to thousands, fifteen champagnes, a cocktail list of over one hundred drinks, two lounge areas and enough seating for seventy in one sitting.

It's a really exciting project and the national press has really taken a big interest in it. Look out for it over the coming months in the papers and glossy mags! Also, I'm sure I'll be seeing some of you at the restaurant sometime soon!

Oh, and Kevin (zltm) has really kindly offered to pay the restaurant bill at the next E90post.com meet - I, and we, should thank him in advance!! Such a generous bloke
Sounds great Tony, I totally agree with most of your comments about London cuisine as you know. Your restaurant definitely has a chance of pleasing my discerning Northern taste and in particular, my appetite.

I hope the offer is still there to allow me to crush Edward in the 'Man vs Food' challenge we have discussed so many times.

I would offer my help with whatever you need, but I know you wouldn't take it anyway.... So instead I'll just say this - best of luck mate, it sounds like it deserves to succeed and you can count me in for the opening event or any other E90 event that takes place there, should you choose to invite me.

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 03:34 AM   #33
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Nice one Tony - I have a few mates in the Fulham and Putney areas - I'll let them know about your gaff and maybe pay a visit when next up in London (usually stay in Putney).

Your food philosophy sounds bang on the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:07 AM   #34
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

Sounds great Tone, I'm in London for the night 5th/6th March with the Wife, mum, sister and her boyfriend we are going to see a west end show might come for dinner or that sunday lunch sounds amazing!!!

Good luck

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:23 AM   #35
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Still loads to be done and the builders are working away, but the end is in sight! Hence why I haven't been on the forum as much in terms of actively posting.... Will post some pictures of the whole restaurant build process on here over the next few days.
Looking forward to seeing how it's advanced since when I last saw it in December! I'm sure I won't recognize it...
Quote:
The restaurant will be high-end old British food, [...] There'll be old school British food like Toad in the Hole etc...
Uh-oh, and you call the French "frog-eaters" when you eat a whole toad???

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #36
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Where's me free invite Tone?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #37
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Good luck with the venture, the USPs sound very good indeed - pre-booking a whole british rib of beef
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:54 AM   #38
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
All the best with the venture Tone.

That Sunday roast sounds like a PROPER roast.
      01-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #39
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

I'm now soooooooooooooooooooooo hungry.......

Good luck Tony, as others have said, sounds great!

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #40
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Good to chat to you the other day big fella - i personally know just how busy youve been and how long this project has been in the making - so fingers crossed!! Louisa and i cant wait for the opening and will no doubt be very regulars, esp on Sunday!! Good luck and keep us posted as to when!! Steve.
      01-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #41
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
LOL...I hope there is enough parking for everyone to park!

On a serious note, when is the menu going to be out? and what is the booking process?

I think the website needs updating ....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #42
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Tony, thats well within walking distance for me. Ill pop down sometime when u r there?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #43
flyfs6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much buddy

We are long overdue a catch up by the way... are you in the UK? And for how long?!
Thanks, I look forward to that. I'm going to be around with the odd occasional short trip away, unlike the last time when I disappeared for a few months
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #44
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Fulham Rd, not too far from where i am, food looks guuuud. will u be on top table???
Appreciate 0