E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FFTEC - Top Mount, Twin-Scroll, Single Turbo available? Available Now ... WHAT?!?!?

10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #23
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Looks like a sweet setup. I know BMS is having the FFTEC 6466 kit installed on one of their development cars to produce some JB4 single turbo maps.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

No fagbook allowed here... any pix can be posted here?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #25
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -StanceCity- View Post
No fagbook allowed here... any pix can be posted here?
check the first page.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

So I'm all for new kits coming out, but this is $5k for just the hot side piping? Seems a little high honestly...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
Kit looks awesome!

By the way how's your AT holding up? You've probably had your ST with an AT the longest. Just curious how its doing. How many miles do you think you've put in it? Thanks
801beemer - the car is running awesome. I've had it for 18 months, 22K miles in this state. No problems with it. It doesn't drink oil like my stock turbos did. I haven't done anything more with the car all this time. I still love it!!! The sounds are amazing and I surprise a lot of folks on the onramps and on the highway. Its my DD and on long drives (80mph for a couple hundred miles at a time) I get about 26mpg and on my weekly commutes i'm getting right around 21mpg.

I've also started working on three new "projects", so the wife may force me to "consolidate" my toys. :/
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrder View Post
So I'm all for new kits coming out, but this is $5k for just the hot side piping? Seems a little high honestly...
I don't know what this kit runs but the other kits are in the 7-9k price range depending on what options you want to add. It's more than say a set of RBs but then you're also looking at potential 200whp+ gains vs. 60-80whp gains with the hybrid turbos. It's all relative.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #29
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupertinosteve View Post
801beemer - the car is running awesome. I've had it for 18 months, 22K miles in this state. No problems with it. It doesn't drink oil like my stock turbos did. I haven't done anything more with the car all this time. I still love it!!! The sounds are amazing and I surprise a lot of folks on the onramps and on the highway. Its my DD and on long drives (80mph for a couple hundred miles at a time) I get about 26mpg and on my weekly commutes i'm getting right around 21mpg.

I've also started working on three new "projects", so the wife may force me to "consolidate" my toys. :/

That’s awesome to hear that it’s holding well. Though with the torque curve of the big singles, sometimes I wonder if they’re actually easier on the 6AT than an aggressive RB/VTT2 setup.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Looks like a sweet setup. I know BMS is having the FFTEC 6466 kit installed on one of their development cars to produce some JB4 single turbo maps.

Mike
You mean a Vishnu/FFTEC (or FFTEC/Vishnu or VFF) single turbo kit, right? Can't drop off a part if the a me just because it hurts to say it

I did want to thank Terry for the order though!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
You mean a Vishnu/FFTEC (or FFTEC/Vishnu or VFF) single turbo kit, right? Can't drop off a part if the a me just because it hurts to say it

Lol

Not exactly sure why you felt the need to post that but I know you helped them design aspects of it but according to BMS payment was made to "FFTEC MOTORSPORTS" and the kit has FFTEC plates welded to it. They have spoken to several FFTEC employees and no one has ever mentioned your name or Vishnu. You can call the kit whatever you want to call it but I'm going to call it a FFTEC kit like the manifold is labeled.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:

So how does it all work, you get a percentage of each sale? I see them selling it alone without. My guess is you convinced them to only manufacture for you and no one else for a year or something? They saw poor sales so they decided to open to everyone and realized you added nothing?

Why would anyone want a single scroll bottom mount vs. this one?

Is it true the bottom mounts are no longer available for sale? I heard they no longer making the bottom mount Twin scroll because modification to the frame to fit the turbo...

@vishnu @Shiv

Last edited by Torgus; 10-02-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #33
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Lol

Not exactly sure why you felt the need to post that but I know you helped them design aspects of it but according to BMS payment was made to "FFTEC MOTORSPORTS" and the kit has FFTEC plates welded to it. They have spoken to several FFTEC employees and no one has ever mentioned your name or Vishnu. You can call the kit whatever you want to call it but I'm going to call it a FFTEC kit like the manifold is labeled.

Mike
The items in bold hold true to just about every single turbo kit order we've taken. The single turbo orders are processed by FFTEC. And they all have the FFTEC logo on the manifold. So I'm not sure why you think Terry's kit is any different. You can call it anything you want. But renaming it to purposely avoid giving credit where it is (partly) due just makes you petty.

Cheers,
shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #34
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Mike REALLY likes to stir the pot, eh?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #35
pwr hungry
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
So how does it all work, you get a percentage of each sale? I see them selling it alone without. My guess is you convinced them to only manufacture for you and no one else for a year or something? They saw poor sales so they decided to open to everyone and realized you added nothing?

Is it true the bottom mounts are no longer available for sale? I heard they no longer making the bottom mount Twin scroll because modification to the frame to fit the turbo...

@vishnu @Shiv
Keep in mind, we still would not have single turbo kits running if Shiv and fftec had not made their first kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

@vishnu @Shiv
I'm not sure where you are getting your info from but I'd check your sources. We (FFTEC and Vishnu) decided a long time ago to eventually make our single turbo kit available without electronics for those who want to tune it themselves using whatever tuning platform they want. I don't understand why some people insist on being so partisan about things like this. It's a hobby. It's fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
AWTT335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The Facebook post says nothing about Vishnu.., interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #38
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWTT335i View Post
The Facebook post says nothing about Vishnu.., interesting.
That's because we were not involved with the top mount kit. They was developed independently by FFTEC. And it's one hell of a kit. But the kit that Mike was referring to (that BMS purchased) was a bottom mount kit that was joint developed between FFTEC and Vishnu.

PS. There is some rumor circulating at the standard VTT bottom mount single turbo kit is no longer in production. This is not true. Both the top mount and the bottom mount ST kit will be manufactured in parallel.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 10-02-2013 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
MikeB@fftec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Evo 8

Quote:

@vishnu @Shiv
The bottom mount twin scroll turbo kit was developed for research purposes only. Our VFF600 and VFF900 single scroll bottom mount turbo kits are still in production.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #40
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Quote:
My guess is you convinced them to only manufacture for you and no one else for a year or something? They saw poor sales so they decided to open to everyone and realized you added nothing?
Your guess just makes you look like a complete idiot. Since you live in Mass. and have never been to FFTEC in Hayward, or know the owner of FFTEC, or the fabricators, or ANY FFTEC employee, or have seen FFTEC and Vishnu at all Shift S3ctor events, etc, I suppose we can excuse your waste of a post.
      10-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #41
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
Your guess just makes you look like a complete idiot. Since you live in Mass. and have never been to FFTEC in Hayward, or know the owner of FFTEC, or the fabricators, or ANY FFTEC employee, or have seen FFTEC and Vishnu at all Shift S3ctor events, etc, I suppose we can excuse your waste of a post.
what in the f? who shat in your cereal? broseph you realize you just criticized me for making an EDUCATED guess and in the same post made like 6 assumptions(guesses) right? lol. Here is a big shocker for you: I travel to California 10+ times a year I was about 1 miles away from them 2 months ago on my last trip out. Oh and mods lists are for the weak lol you list tint, next you will list your motor oil viscosity

I still find it slightly odd but I really don't care about the FFTEC/Vishnu relationship I was just explaining what made the most sense to me: That Shiv had an exclusive deal/kickback or whatever for X amount of time as he helped(most likely by dropping the car off and paying them) prototype the 1st ST for the N54 and tuned it. They just recently started offering the manifold alone unless I am mistaken. If this wasn't the case why did they never advertise the manifold alone until just recently? There is nothing wrong if this is what happened. I would have done the same if I helped prototyped the 1st ST and tuned it, you deserve to get paid for your investment be it time, money, or both.

MikeB@fftec did the frame had to be modified for the TS bottom mount kit? That was what was explained to me. Just curious.

Last edited by Torgus; 10-03-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #42
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Looks good guys
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #43
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Damn it I want a top mount. Is it easy to convert my bottom mount to a top mount? lol
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
The items in bold hold true to just about every single turbo kit order we've taken. The single turbo orders are processed by FFTEC. And they all have the FFTEC logo on the manifold. So I'm not sure why you think Terry's kit is any different. You can call it anything you want. But renaming it to purposely avoid giving credit where it is (partly) due just makes you petty.

Cheers,
shiv
A little confused... Can you please elaborate on your role with developing the kit in terms of hardware? I was under the impression that you handled only the tuning side of the kit. Is that false?
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0