E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Rough Cold Start - Misfires and Fuel Injectors Leaking

02-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
LI_Goalie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi E92 6MT

Rough Cold Start - Misfires and Fuel Injectors Leaking

I assume this is covered under the CPO Warranty? I also assume I should take my JB4 off before I bring it in for repairs? I can't believe how much of a pain in the ass it is to replace fuel injectors on this car. I'd love to do it myself, but between the cost and the programming. F that.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
els_86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Yeah injectors are covered under the CPO warranty. Some models have a fuel injector recall and even without a warranty it would be covered. Either way, you are covered 100%.

Does your car have the updated HPFP and software? If not, when you get the injectors done you should have that done as well. Fuel issues are well known for our cars but with all the updated stuff the problems are solved. I would make sure before you leave the dealership that all recalls are done so you don't have to go back for fuel related issues in the future.

Definitely take the tune out. It's not worth the chance of them denying the work because of the tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
LI_Goalie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by els_86 View Post
Yeah injectors are covered under the CPO warranty. Some models have a fuel injector recall and even without a warranty it would be covered. Either way, you are covered 100%.

Does your car have the updated HPFP and software? If not, when you get the injectors done you should have that done as well. Fuel issues are well known for our cars but with all the updated stuff the problems are solved. I would make sure before you leave the dealership that all recalls are done so you don't have to go back for fuel related issues in the future.

Definitely take the tune out. It's not worth the chance of them denying the work because of the tune.
Thanks, I bought it CPO and don't know if the HPFP was replaced, but I'll ask. Definitely will try to get everything covered in one shot.

I'm a little ticked because right now my DME only has one misfire logged. I was hoping for more misfires so all the injectors get replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

What's so hard about the injectors?

They're almost as easy to take out as the spark plugs.
The injector codes are right on the injectors.
INPA and a $25 cable can code injectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
LI_Goalie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller335 View Post
What's so hard about the injectors?

They're almost as easy to take out as the spark plugs.
The injector codes are right on the injectors.
INPA and a $25 cable can code injectors.
The fact that they cost hundreds of dollars and you need to code your computer to accept them? Have you ever changed injectors on a normal car?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Miller335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Goalie View Post
The fact that they cost hundreds of dollars and you need to code your computer to accept them? Have you ever changed injectors on a normal car?
I've never owned a DI car before this and I'm not happy about the sensitivity of the injectors like you but lets be real here, this type of injector is one of the reasons why the engine is as amazing as it is.

I think a 6 pack of injectors is less than $1k now and it really is the heart of this engine so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
LI_Goalie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've never owned a DI car before this and I'm not happy about the sensitivity of the injectors like you but lets be real here, this type of injector is one of the reasons why the engine is as amazing as it is.

I think a 6 pack of injectors is less than $1k now and it really is the heart of this engine so to speak.
I agree, it was just a kick to the nuts when I looked up how much an aftermarket injector was for this car. Didn't expect it to be that high at all. Sticker shock can be a bitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Goalie
Quote:

I agree, it was just a kick to the nuts when I looked up how much an aftermarket injector was for this car. Didn't expect it to be that high at all. Sticker shock can be a bitch.
What aftermarket injectors are you looking at for our n54?
Appreciate 0