E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 330d Swirl Flaps and Intake Manifold Torque

10-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #23
bayerischer
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DEE View Post
Blank them off mate .. could be the cause of poor performance as they are a weak point for boost leaks.
Mine were blanked off last year .. you won't notice any difference .. especially the set up you have !
what are you talking about? you probably didn't drive your car before blanking them or had other problem. i had my swirl flaps blanked and now i feel i lost power and also dramatically increased fuel consumption. i am looking for ways to have it reinstated or have a new manifold. to remove them stemmed from some old 2004 m57 engine swirl flap failure, and the owner shared the story online and then everybody panicked, but there were only handful of cases, and now indie garages and blanks sellers are trying to make a buck to scare you u gonna have engine failure, but by blanking you are losing power and increasing consumption.....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #24
Calluhan
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 640D Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischer View Post
what are you talking about? you probably didn't drive your car before blanking them or had other problem. i had my swirl flaps blanked and now i feel i lost power and also dramatically increased fuel consumption. i am looking for ways to have it reinstated or have a new manifold. to remove them stemmed from some old 2004 m57 engine swirl flap failure, and the owner shared the story online and then everybody panicked, but there were only handful of cases, and now indie garages and blanks sellers are trying to make a buck to scare you u gonna have engine failure, but by blanking you are losing power and increasing consumption.....
I'm sorry mate. Not trying to be argumentative but what you said here isn't strictly true either.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #25
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerischer View Post
As above what Calluhan mentioned.

I have personally done it and here is my observations.... not saying that you have to agree with me but I do not agree with what you mentioned or others mentions.

1- MPG, who care for 1-2 mpg for the sake of saving the engine. IF swirl flap snaps then its a massive bill. I use fuelly and did not feel any difference in mpg.

2- My power delivery was much better after blanking the plates and especially on higher RPM. I had NBT retrofitted and could observe torque / BHP meter. I personally observed smoother, liners and slightly more torque output after blanking them.
I used DPF cleaner at the same time when I blanked the swirl flaps so not sure if it was placebo effect however car was defo better.

3- Swirl flap has something to do with lower RPM to have better acceleration. My car was remapped and I did not any significant difference.

And here is some feedback what I observed.
And some feedback from old grey steve who is expert!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=159