E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Need windshield replacement advice

07-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Question Need windshield replacement advice

So in short i have a few cracks on the bottom edge of my front windshield. can't be repaired.

Called Geico & they said they would replace it with safellite at no cost. but i know after being diligent in this matter OEM is the way to go especially with the rain sensor implemented in the glass.

My question is which BMW dealership should i visit to get this done? (i checked the online part store the glass is about 450$ as i recall but they can't ship it)

What dealership you guys think would be able to take care of this matter seamlessly?, Geico has agreed they would pay approx $457 if i go to OEM route and w.e the difference is i pay it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
Mr.Smithers
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4, 07 328, 11 535

I just did it through safelite and they did an amazing job.
2007 Monaco Blue w/blk int. 328xi coupe. Manual w/ navi and cold weather pkg. Logic 7 sound system. Perf. air intake. Perf. strut bar. M3 rep front bumper. CSL trunk. Alcantara steering wheel trim and shift boot. Alum. pedals. 19" Rohana RC10 wheels staggered.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
MVC2018
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue N54 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNGH View Post
So in short i have a few cracks on the bottom edge of my front windshield. can't be repaired.

Called Geico & they said they would replace it with safellite at no cost. but i know after being diligent in this matter OEM is the way to go especially with the rain sensor implemented in the glass.

My question is which BMW dealership should i visit to get this done? (i checked the online part store the glass is about 450$ as i recall but they can't ship it)

What dealership you guys think would be able to take care of this matter seamlessly?, Geico has agreed they would pay approx $457 if i go to OEM route and w.e the difference is i pay it.

Hey man,sorry to hear about your windshield. The same thing happened to me about a month ago. A rock came out of nowhere and shattered my whole windshield. And that was an oem piece of glass. I did it through my insurance company and I think that's honestly the way to go. If you do it at BMW your going to have to dig deep into your pockets after all of their labor costs and what not. Depending on where you live your insurance company is either going to send safelite or a company called Glass Of America, which is owned and operated by Safelite. They are the guys who did mine. They did an amazing job and did it in my driveway. Totally professional. Rain sensor and all.

So last week a rock about the same size as the first hits my windshield in the same spot, on the same highway. Just my luck. Windshield is totally fine. Not even the slightest mark. Thank god.

What I'm saying in General is that I think you should 100% fine with going through your insurance company. Why pay out of pocket when u pay for coverage for these situations.

Just make sure you are very specific in telling them your year/make/model.
The pieces of glass differ from coupe to sedan. And some models have a gasket around the windshield while other are held in with these long metal clips on both sides of the glass. The company should know which option applies to your car. Just make sure u let them know your exact make and model. Your vin number covers all that.

Hope I helped out man. Let us know your outcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC2018 View Post
Hey man,sorry to hear about your windshield. The same thing happened to me about a month ago. A rock came out of nowhere and shattered my whole windshield. And that was an oem piece of glass. I did it through my insurance company and I think that's honestly the way to go. If you do it at BMW your going to have to dig deep into your pockets after all of their labor costs and what not. Depending on where you live your insurance company is either going to send safelite or a company called Glass Of America, which is owned and operated by Safelite. They are the guys who did mine. They did an amazing job and did it in my driveway. Totally professional. Rain sensor and all.

So last week a rock about the same size as the first hits my windshield in the same spot, on the same highway. Just my luck. Windshield is totally fine. Not even the slightest mark. Thank god.

What I'm saying in General is that I think you should 100% fine with going through your insurance company. Why pay out of pocket when u pay for coverage for these situations.

The pieces of glass differ from coupe to sedan. And some models have a gasket around the windshield while other are held in with these long metal clips on both sides of the glass. The company should know which option applies to your car. Just make sure u let them know your exact make and model. Your vin number covers all that.

Hahahaha mike

I was on the phone with this guy when it happened
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
pharoh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

In New York you can get glass coverage. When I moved to NJ, insurance companies they don't offer "glass" coverage specifically. Its considered part of your comprehensive / deductible. I have GEICO and I went for a repair of a small crack on the lower part of my windshield before it spread (GEICO covers repairs, not replacement at 100%), safelite said it was not in a good spot and I would have to get a new windshield for $475. For that price, I will pay my $500 deductible and go thru insurance to have BMW do it.

TL;DL - It depends on where u live. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
My Nationwide policy offers separate deductible amount choices for glass breakage over the other deductibles.

I have mine set @ $25 - since more than likely this will happen more frequently than any other kind of damage

Plus I got the 'Replace with OEM Parts ONLY' option - which cost me a whopping $7 extra/6 mo.

That way there is NO question as to where my car is going to be fixed, or with what parts. Personally, I would only have my windshield done thru dealer...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
freon480
12:34
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

first. the rain sensor is not part of the glass. the oem glass is about 457. you can have safelite order and install the oem glass if it is your preference to have oem. itll just cost you the 2 hours labor and rubbers on top of glass price. the dealer will just have safelite install it. they dont install glass.the glass safelite sells is quite fine btw.
      07-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #8
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:

Haha yeah man, might as well use insurance or else what's the point for paying if I won't take advantage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharoh View Post
In New York you can get glass coverage. When I moved to NJ, insurance companies they don't offer "glass" coverage specifically. Its considered part of your comprehensive / deductible. I have GEICO and I went for a repair of a small crack on the lower part of my windshield before it spread (GEICO covers repairs, not replacement at 100%), safelite said it was not in a good spot and I would have to get a new windshield for $475. For that price, I will pay my $500 deductible and go thru insurance to have BMW do it.

TL;DL - It depends on where u live. LOL!
Yeah location is crucial, I heard in Florida they will replace at no cost no matter what..while other stories have varied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smithers View Post
I just did it through safelite and they did an amazing job.
I see. Hopefully they do a great job in my garage lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
My Nationwide policy offers separate deductible amount choices for glass breakage over the other deductibles.

I have mine set @ $25 - since more than likely this will happen more frequently than any other kind of damage

Plus I got the 'Replace with OEM Parts ONLY' option - which cost me a whopping $7 extra/6 mo.

That way there is NO question as to where my car is going to be fixed, or with what parts. Personally, I would only have my windshield done thru dealer...
Yeah I feel you, dealer route sounds seamless but here in NY not all the dealers a cordial

Quote:
Originally Posted by freon480 View Post
first. the rain sensor is not part of the glass. the oem glass is about 457. you can have safelite order and install the oem glass if it is your preference to have oem. itll just cost you the 2 hours labor and rubbers on top of glass price. the dealer will just have safelite install it. they dont install glass.the glass safelite sells is quite fine btw.
Oh wow thanks for the insight. Might choose this route . I don't mind paying extra labor and my current seal looks horrible anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:

IMHO the U.S. made Pilkington which Safelite installs is better than the OEM stuff, at least for our roads in the U.S. The OEM Pilkington installed in Munich is too brittle and cracks easily. That being said, when I took delivery of my car, the windows were amazing. The OEM stuff is probably optically superior, but it is not as durable, almost every pebble hit is a crack. Maybe the Germans dont have rocks on their roads, so that is probably fine for them. I have had a couple of solid small rock hits since Safelite installed the U.S. Pilkington windshield and not a crack. I dont think the windshield "pits" as quickly from all the small sand grains and whatnot that hit it all the time, but I cant be sure of this.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0