E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 5w-30 LL-04 Oil Findings & Pricing

06-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #45
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I must be the dumbest muther furker on earth. I buy BMW's 5w-30, a BMW oil filter, all shipped from Tischer for $69. I put it in my car every 17,000 miles and, wah lah, my car goes 147,000 miles.

Is it really that hard to understand....

Really?
You are obviously an idiot. Who in their right mind would actually think that the manufacturer knows anything?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #46
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Thought we were talking about oil weights here, not company endorsement slogans. Which BMW dealership put an oil weight other than 5W 30 in a 335I? Please post up the info, thanks.

I've spoken to BMWNA on the phone on numerous occations, and so have several people on these boards. They didn't know how to tell whether or not a 335I has an oil cooler, so why are you bringing up the clown show?

Yes, apparently BMW Germany has certified that Mobil 1 0W 40, has passed the API, and ACEA tests they require, but again where is the giant leap being made on which engine this oil can be used in? They specified the oil weight on the vehicle, and put 5W 30 in it, after assembly, so whats your point?

Yes, sir, but for which car company, and which models? Which of the German manufacturers is pouring it in what cars, from the factory?

No, I'm saying that the idea that you can put in XW XX of your choice in an N54, and it doesn't matter which one, is YOUR idea, and not an idea held by, or endorsed by the German assemblers, or the USA dealership, service department.

Yes, but for which engine? Put 0W30 in an M5, and LL-01 approved Motul 15W 50 in a 318I? are you nuts?

err..Actually BMW germany does not recommend ANY other brand of oil to be used in their engines except castrol. They wrote that on the engine itself, so where your getting anything Mobil, is beyond me. Oh yeah, from the marketing website of BMWNA? Those jokers.
It's not like BMW outsources some engine development to exMB engineers who have close ties to Castrol. Or is it? So turkey. I thought then engine oil part number which appears in the sticker in your vehicle was a 5w-40. I seem to remember searching that. In anycase I believe an argument could made that the sticker is for the benefit of BMW technicians. IJS
Appreciate 0