E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Seat mat sensor and Stepper motor question

10-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Seat mat sensor and Stepper motor question

Hey guys i'm new here, just upgraded from an e46.
I got my car (06 330i), and realized it had a restraint system malfunction coming up in my iDrive as well as the airbag and seat belt symbols coming up in the dash.

My car was not covered under the recall but luckily i do have CPO until May. I have two questions.. Do i have a faulty seat mat sensor? (could it be a low battery giving me these malfunctions?)..If i do have a faulty seat mat sensor, is it covered under CPO?

Secondly i also realized that my adaptive headlights are also malfunctioning. They turn on, but they will not track with the steering wheel even with it set to auto. This isn't as much of a big deal as the air bag/seat belt issue, but still annoying. Could this be caused by a faulty stepper motor? If so, is that covered under the CPO?

I already did loads of research about these two, and thats how i came to the conclusion that i might have a faulty seat mat sensor and a faulty stepper motor..but i could be wrong, so i need your help!

Sorry for all the questions guys, i just thought you guys would have more knowledge about these things then i would

Thanks for the help in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

quick call to the dealer service department would answer both of your questions about CPO coverage.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

no shit, i had the same 2 problems, when they replaced the OC3 seat mat it fixed my headlights. go figure.

by the way, one headlight tracked correctly, the other tracked opposite... turn left, it went right...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #4
MUNDA
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90driva View Post
My car was not covered under the recall but luckily i do have CPO until May. I have two questions.. Do i have a faulty seat mat sensor? (could it be a low battery giving me these malfunctions?)..If i do have a faulty seat mat sensor, is it covered under CPO?
I just had to deal with the seat mat sensor on my 2006 323I with the dealership. I have CPO until next year, they are going to replace mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yeah i called the dealership and got a service appointment for next thursday.

Quote:
no shit, i had the same 2 problems, when they replaced the OC3 seat mat it fixed my headlights. go figure.

by the way, one headlight tracked correctly, the other tracked opposite... turn left, it went right...
Maybe the same things going on with me..atleast it tracked haha

Im gonna take an OBD2 to it to make sure that those are the problems

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

for both headlights to quit, both stepper motors would had to of died (one in each headlight).

the adaptive headlight get their directional info from the SZL steering angle sensor in the steering column, there is also a control module attached underneath each headlight assembly. I dont think its the SZL sensor though because that would throw off the DSC and cause other warning lights to pop up.

i would see if they can recode those modules on the headlights.

usually an adaptive headlight error causes an icon and a blinking green led light on the headlight switch itself.

most likely this is software related, i think if they do the airbag sensor and recode those modules you will be good.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

As long as they don't charge me more than the deductible, ill be happy

Appreciate 0