E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > how good is navigation part in Idrive?

12-22-2005, 12:39 AM   #1
slimer
Rep
Drives: 116i

how good is navigation part in Idrive?

hello guys.

I have just ordered e91 318TD and it will arrive in april
Have not completly decided about what equipment I want to have, but there is one thing that I rally like.
It is navigation and I drive.I have read few places that bmw navigation is not that good actually, that portable navigations are better at that part.

So I am asking you, what do you think, what are your experiences??
Here in norway Navigation costs 3000 us $ and if I am to pay that mch money for it then I sould be DAMN good.

One mroe thing, what are advantages f I drive compared not having it.
Offcourse besides Navigaton.

I think That the interior looks muuch better with I drive but like I wrote earlier, It should be DAMN good for the price it costs here in Norway.

So please, come with your experiences and thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
slimer
Rep

noone that can help me here?
I have hard that handhelt devices like tom tom and are better for then BMW-s original.
Then what is the use..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
iDrive's Nav is better than Tom Tom in integration, larger screen, better positioning. Tom Tom is better in price and slightly better regarding POI (so I've heard). With iDrive you get more than just Navigation. You also get more flexability to configure your car, a better looking interior (IMO) and better bluetooth and PDC integration.

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
slimer
Rep

Ok..
That is kind of answer i wanted,,
I have specified my car wit PDC but not bluetooth.
I really hope that It has good nav. system..Because it costs..
And yet..Much better looking interior..which is important.
Then again..what the hell is Sirius?
Have read some posts about it but could not exactly figure out what it is
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 12:19 PM   #5
gmcwv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

Sirius is Satellite Radio, but I am surprised that they would offer it over there. I thought you could only get it if you lived in the US or Canada. You can go to www.sirius.com to find out more about it. I have it for both my cars and my house. It is really nice to have on long drives and you don't have to hunt for a radio station and you don't have to worry about static, but for as it is satellite you do have to worry about tall buildings, tunnels, and bridges. Most larger cities here in the US though have ground repeaters so you don't lose signal. The best thing about it....no commercials...ever. Over 100 stations so they surely have something you like to listen to everything from music, news, weather, and talk channels. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
slimer
Rep

ok..thanks.
We do not have that in europe, at least not in Norway.
We have something called DAB, digital audio broadcast, and it is on its way to become popular.
Same think, but it is not sattelite reception but ground senders that are digital, and you either have the signal or not.
As well, many more stations to listen to.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
bimmer4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcwv
...you don't have to hunt for a radio station
true

Quote:
...and you don't have to worry about static
True, but you don't have to worry about static because you lose your signal.

Quote:
...but for as it is satellite you do have to worry about tall buildings, tunnels, and bridges.
True, I lose my signal all the time in tunnels, under bridges and in parking garages.

Quote:
The best thing about it....no commercials...ever.
Not true. PLEASE, Sirius, no more "go to my pc" commericals!!!

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
KillDork
First Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: E90 MY '06 320D

Hi there, I'm from Norway as well and I've got a 320d E90 with Navigation Professional. I'm very happy with it. Be sure to order the voice recognition also, as it is a free option from september production on.

You could argue that the price difference between the integrated iDrive and a stand alone solution is ridicilous, but it makes for a much nicer solution than having cables for charging the GPS-unit etc. The POIs is ok as well. I've got PDC front and back, and Bluetooth phone connection. The phone integration is great. With a Sony Ericsson-phone you can even browse the phonebook on the iDrive-screen. If you drive a lot in your work it's great to use.
Aluminium trim|black Dakota leather|Xenon|Comfort Access|Sports seats|Steptronic|iDrive Professional|Bluetooth|Voice|PDC front & rear|sun shade rear window & sides|auto dim outside & inside mirrors|Comfort|Dynamic|Advantage
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
flipmde786
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Is it necessary to have iDrive to upload your phonebook and browse through contacts, or can this be done with non-iDrive models too? Just wondering...because I want to use bluetooth, but I wasn't planning on ordering iDrive...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
gmcwv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
Not true. PLEASE, Sirius, no more "go to my pc" commericals!!!

LOL...I only listen to the music channels, I forgot that some of the talk and news channels can have commercials, that can get annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2005, 12:19 AM   #11
slimer
Rep

ok..
I will be driving through europe next summer and that is why I would like to option for Navigation as well because car loks much better with it, It will be easier to sell in a few years and but also because I love gadgets hehe..
Does anyone of you from Europe know if Croatia and Bosnia and Hercegovina are on the navigation DVD?
It would supprise me if Bosnia was....
Appreciate 0