Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Another Question About Run-flat Tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #1
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

Another Question About Run-flat Tires

So far, the only things I have heard about run-flat tires is that you can drive on them for a while after a flat but that they are heavy, stiff and expensive. From this, I would think that it is safe to assume that the casing construction is a lot different from non-runflat tires. I am curious to know whether this difference has resulted in any difference in puncture resistance (through the tread) for better or worse than non-runflats. I am only guessing but I would think that tread life is more or less independent of casing design and construction so I wouldn’t expect much if any difference there. Anybody hear anything about puncture resistance?

Thanks, my apologies if this has already been answered in this forum and I missed it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
The sidewalls are thicker - not the tread (as far as I'm aware) so can't see much more puncture resistance unless the offending item enters via the sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2005, 12:58 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The tread is the same as normal tires, so puncture resistance is the same.

For interest:
A friend drove over a 100miles on his runflats with a 2" hole in his tire after hitting a rock or something on the highway and he felt no ill effects
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
xyz123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E82 Msport, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
The tread is the same as normal tires, so puncture resistance is the same.

For interest:
A friend drove over a 100miles on his runflats with a 2" hole in his tire after hitting a rock or something on the highway and he felt no ill effects
Thanks, I am a bit surprised that puncture resistance is entirely a function of the tread. Besides the tread, the puncture resistant belt(s), if any, underneath the tread are probably also the same, runflat vs non-runflat, but I wondered if the cross plies are different in a way that affects resistance to penetration. These radial plies would seem to be a lot stiffer and heavier than on non-runflats, judging by how the sidewalls did their job in your example. But I suppose that once a foreign object penetrates the circumferential belt, the cross plies offer little resistance, whatever their other characteristic are.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #5
rob944s2
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Jet Black

I hit a pothole in my E90 after havng it one month, middle of the desert. Split the sidewalls on two tires (left side) and drove it 120+ miles home on the run flats @ 50 mph.

Damage report: Needed two new wheels / tires. New front strut and strut plate. Alignment.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2005, 01:27 AM   #6
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Good Lord.....how big was that pothole.....or was it the Meteor Crater in Arizona?
Appreciate 0