E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > BMW DPF fluid replacement

11-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
DFWTCP
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

BMW DPF fluid replacement

I have heard and read conflicting opinion as to whether the 335d diesel particulate filter would be harmed by using AdBlue or other particulate filter regeneration fluid. VW has a small bottle to "top off" the DPF reservoir in the TDI. The nozzle appears to fit the BMW reservoir perfectly which would allow those of us who change oil more freqently than the once yearly/15000 mile recommendation that BMWNA now supports for the 2011 E90 335d. Any diesel mechanics out there who can verify or refute the compatibility of the VW/Audi fluid for use my the M-Sport? I would greatly appreciate any information.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
tlak77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWTCP View Post
I have heard and read conflicting opinion as to whether the 335d diesel particulate filter would be harmed by using AdBlue or other particulate filter regeneration fluid. VW has a small bottle to "top off" the DPF reservoir in the TDI. The nozzle appears to fit the BMW reservoir perfectly which would allow those of us who change oil more freqently than the once yearly/15000 mile recommendation that BMWNA now supports for the 2011 E90 335d. Any diesel mechanics out there who can verify or refute the compatibility of the VW/Audi fluid for use my the M-Sport? I would greatly appreciate any information.
You should try to educate yourself about what AdBlue/DEF (not DPF) is first. Start by reading DEF and AdBlue. Bottom line both are the same, just a different name, all BMW SCR systems in USA use fluid which is standardized to ISO 22241 (Audi/VW/BMW/Ford ect - use it too).
I really have no idea what you are trying to say in regards of oil change. 335d has active and passive tank which can store total of about 20 liters of DEF fluid which should be enough to drive about 12-15k miles depending of few conditions.
BMW maintenance includes filling of the fluid at the oil change interval (topping off at the moment, they were draining and filling it up originally - due to somewhat short shelf life of DEF - but they decided it's cheaper that way). If you do change oil in between you don't have to fill DEF - if that is what you were trying to say.
Flickr
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlak77 View Post
You should try to educate yourself about what AdBlue/DEF (not DPF) is first. Start by reading DEF and AdBlue. Bottom line both are the same, just a different name, all BMW SCR systems in USA use fluid which is standardized to ISO 22241 (Audi/VW/BMW/Ford ect - use it too).
I really have no idea what you are trying to say in regards of oil change. 335d has active and passive tank which can store total of about 20 liters of DEF fluid which should be enough to drive about 12-15k miles depending of few conditions.
BMW maintenance includes filling of the fluid at the oil change interval (topping off at the moment, they were draining and filling it up originally - due to somewhat short shelf life of DEF - but they decided it's cheaper that way). If you do change oil in between you don't have to fill DEF - if that is what you were trying to say.
+1

In addition the DPF is upstream of the SCR (Urea) system. By law every light duty diesel car/truck in the U.S .must use the same standardized method to refill the UREA tanks.
Appreciate 0