E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Insurance on a 320d M Sport Plus

05-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
rouge_trader
Rep
Drives: 320d Sport Plus

Insurance on a 320d M Sport Plus

After buying my new car, I set upon getting some new insurance. I had thought that being 32 companies would stop taking the mick.

I was able to get a month out of direct line (my current insurer) by changing the car on it for £35. Not a bad deal i thought. I went back to get the full year policy as this one was running out and they quoted me £1100, I called up and said with 9year no claims are you sure. They said we will do you a deal for being loyal over the years and took £50 off. I explained that most quotes are around £650 in the street and their response was "i think its so high because we must have had lots of claims on similar cars".

So I checked with MoreThan as a colleague used them and was able to get £150 cheaper than the cheapest on confused.com. MoreThan firstly couldnt find my car based on the reg, every other company has had no problem finding it. After a long chat with an adviser they said they wouldnt insure the car because it didnt have a tracker.

Has anyone else had the same problems or could recommend a good company that wont insult me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
jayakrishnanv
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340d

Garage List
Hi Mate try Admiral or LV.com. me and my mrs are having two cars insured with Admiral on multicar discount with my 5yrs NCD and she having 1yr NCD we are paying £950 a year altogether for both the cars.

Forgot to add, was with Directline and was paying £425 for my E46 last year with monthly direct debit and w/o no reason the renewal quote was £1050 and like they mentioned to you will chuck out £150 as loyalty...so better to shop around every renewal time comes up
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

I'm 32 and recently insured a brand new Sport Plus for about £600 ish with the Mrs named who is 24. Can't remember the company but exceptional cover though. LV were high. Few do new for old in the first year, these do. Others charge extra for factory fit extras! On the move at the mo but will post up tonight.
      05-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh and Admiral, Privilege and I think Diamond are the same company and don't offer new for old. Another thing that's a must is being able to use a BMW repair centre rather than an 'insurance' approved. Mine does. BMW insurance make a big play on this but came out nearly four times more expensive!
      05-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
+1 for admiral, they came out cheapest when I was comparing quotes recently

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
I'm 32 and recently insured a brand new Sport Plus for about £600 ish with the Mrs named who is 24. Can't remember the company but exceptional cover though. LV were high. Few do new for old in the first year, these do. Others charge extra for factory fit extras! On the move at the mo but will post up tonight.
Show off with the much younger wife lol
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouge_trader View Post
Has anyone else had the same problems or could recommend a good company that wont insult me.
No as everyone's details and postcodes differ, and as you're living in London your postcode will have a dramatic impact on your premium either way.

I can give you some tips though (apologies if you've already covered them)
  • Don't over estimate the value of your car.
  • Err on the side of caution when putting in your annual mileage,under estimate it and not conservatively
  • Add a older named driver, preferably with a good NCB record,a family member (Dad,Mum etc), wife/partner, would be best (Note: a younger wife will not help that much in this scenario )
Premiums are a joke at the moment,so try all the bigger insurers that don't appear on the compare sites.
Beware the headline figures that appear on the compare sites, the figures first presented rarely turn out to be the premium you end up paying!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
ry1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 318d M Sport

I'm 32 and have just insured my 318d m sport with Admiral for about £600. I was with privilege for about 5 years but because I got 3points a couple of months ago for speeding in a 30mph my renewal jumped to £880! Apparently privilege don't like to insure drivers with any points even though most don't alter premiums for the first SP30. Admiral was by far the cheapest after some searching (direct line wanted £1100!!)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

No offence to the OP but these posts are a bit of a nonsense. Loads of people pop up saying 'Well I'm paying £xxx...', all with wildly varying personal circumstances. Hotcoupe sums it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
No as everyone's details and postcodes differ, and as you're living in London your postcode will have a dramatic impact on your premium either way.

I can give you some tips though (apologies if you've already covered them)
  • Don't over estimate the value of your car.
  • Err on the side of caution when putting in your annual mileage,under estimate it and not conservatively
  • Add a older named driver, preferably with a good NCB record,a family member (Dad,Mum etc), wife/partner, would be best (Note: a younger wife will not help that much in this scenario )
Premiums are a joke at the moment,so try all the bigger insurers that don't appear on the compare sites.
Beware the headline figures that appear on the compare sites, the figures first presented rarely turn out to be the premium you end up paying!
Put your partner on. Change insurers every year. Look for the ones really wanting business. Aviva seem to be on the money at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey Rougue Trader, try Renew Insurance. Came out £530 for me and the wife. I've got 3 Points Sp30, 12 yrs NCD and one fault claim for vandalism in '06. Watch the likes of Admiral, Diamond etc. as they charge extra for factory fit options. Dont believe me ring em! Also some reserve the right to use recycled parts on cars over three years old if you have a smash!
      05-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by B33M3R View Post
Show off with the much younger wife lol
Back of the net!