E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Need help detailing new car

06-04-2015, 01:53 AM   #1
Kbman
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Need help detailing new car

Okay so I just purchased a 2007 328i and it needs a bit of a detail seeing as there are some not so pretty small scratches and it could do with a bit of a clean up in general. I want to get to the point where I can do the waxing and what not myself, but at the moment I can't afford to buy all the proper equipment and it seems easier to possibly have someone do it for me. I found these guy that are local

Here is their site and the services they offer for basic maintenance detailing and cleaning-
http://www.sullysdetailing.com/servi...nce-detailing/

Would I just be better off investing in the proper tools to do it myself or maybe just this once take it here for a nice cleaning and have it good for a while til I can purchase what I need to do a good job on the car myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
Craig242
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

My advice would be to pay for a minor paint correction from that detailer or similar to remove the imperfections. Then learn (if you don't know already) how to safely wash the car without putting the scratches back in. I'm talking 2 bucket method, snow foam pre-wash etc.

I am a keen detailer and machine polish my own cars, but for the time/effort and money that goes into a proper machine detail (plus the technique that has to be learnt), I think you would be better off having a professional get it to a high standard to start with.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Kbman
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

That's what I was thinking. I'll learn as time goes on, but I'd prefer to start out with a nice detail on the outside.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Routine maintenance is the most important part of owning your vehicle... whether it is mechanical maintenance, or in this case, cleaning/detailing.

There is much more to 'basic' washing and drying than most people think, and the unfortunate truth is that improper washing and drying will create a tremendous amount of damage to the paint over time.

Learning proper technique and investing in the right products in the first place will get you off on the right start to keeping your car looking great for many, many years.

As already mentioned, the 3 bucket method is very important. This washing technique greatly reduces the risk of scratching/swirling your paint. This means your car will need less polishing throughout its life, and therefore you will preserve your paint and also spend less time and money maintaining it. You should aim to wash your vehicle at least once every 2 weeks, if not weekly, and of course be sure to remove any specifically harmful contaminates (such as bug guts, bird droppings, tar, etc) immediately as they can cause permanent damage when left unattended.

Along with frequent washing, you will want to apply necessary protection to your paint regularly. There are many different types of paint protection on the market today and all have their pros & cons. In general, I would recommend a polymer sealant like Menzerna Power Lock as a great product for most DIYers who want something easy to use, durable, and great looking. This product can be applied by hand or machine, and is a breeze to remove. Simply spread a thin layer over the entire car, then go back and wipe it off with a quality microfiber towel. Reapply every 3-6 months as needed and you're set!

Be sure to check out our Detailing Guide for more useful information on the detailing process, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Routine maintenance is the most important part of owning your vehicle... whether it is mechanical maintenance, or in this case, cleaning/detailing.

There is much more to 'basic' washing and drying than most people think, and the unfortunate truth is that improper washing and drying will create a tremendous amount of damage to the paint over time.

Learning proper technique and investing in the right products in the first place will get you off on the right start to keeping your car looking great for many, many years.

As already mentioned, the 3 bucket method is very important. This washing technique greatly reduces the risk of scratching/swirling your paint. This means your car will need less polishing throughout its life, and therefore you will preserve your paint and also spend less time and money maintaining it. You should aim to wash your vehicle at least once every 2 weeks, if not weekly, and of course be sure to remove any specifically harmful contaminates (such as bug guts, bird droppings, tar, etc) immediately as they can cause permanent damage when left unattended.

Along with frequent washing, you will want to apply necessary protection to your paint regularly. There are many different types of paint protection on the market today and all have their pros & cons. In general, I would recommend a polymer sealant like Menzerna Power Lock as a great product for most DIYers who want something easy to use, durable, and great looking. This product can be applied by hand or machine, and is a breeze to remove. Simply spread a thin layer over the entire car, then go back and wipe it off with a quality microfiber towel. Reapply every 3-6 months as needed and you're set!

Be sure to check out our Detailing Guide for more useful information on the detailing process, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Zach McGovern
What is the best way to dry a car in your opinion? I'm currently using a synthetic rubber absorber that soaks up water. It leaves a streak free shine but will that damage the paint surface over time. My car color is black
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarronbwall View Post
What is the best way to dry a car in your opinion? I'm currently using a synthetic rubber absorber that soaks up water. It leaves a streak free shine but will that damage the paint surface over time. My car color is black
The majority of us can get away with using waffle weave microfiber drying towels as they are super absorbent and soft enough to not harm the paint.

If you want to be absolutely sure you will not scratch the paint while drying, you can eliminate the need for drying all together by purchasing a CR Spotless Deionizing System. This system removes all minerals from the water which allows you to simply rinse the car and allow it to air dry. The lack of minerals will result in a spot free surface afterwards, but it is a luxury that comes at a price (though MANY people would tell you it is worth it X100 )

Another option is the Metro Master Blaster. This incredibly powerful blower helps to dry the vehicle without ever touching it with a towel. This type of forced air drying works best when the car has a fresh layer of protection on it so that the water slides off the paint easily.

Keep in mind that no matter how careful you are, over time your car will develop some minor defects that require some polishing, so don't drive yourself nuts. Black is the easiest color to spot defects on, so you must take extra precautions when it comes to washing and drying in order to minimize the amount of defects that are introduced over a given period of time.

Hope that helps.

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 1