E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New brake pads - now serious dust issue

09-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Shogun1122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Comp

New brake pads - now serious dust issue

Hi all,

My girlfriends 07 328it recently needed new brakes. To save a few dollars she decided to go to an indy shop. She met with the mechanic (who was highly recommended by her co-workers) and was given a quote. She liked the price so went ahead with the brake job.

Since she had the brakes done the brake dust has been out of control. After just a week the front wheels look almost black. I help her keep her car clean as I do mine and so i noticed this immediately.

Now I am wondering if this guy did not use OEM pads. I know that BMW had an issue with this in the past but since the car was an off lease CPO with 38K i assumed that it had stock pads and the issue had been fixed.

I also have a BMW 335 that is new and I do not have this problem.

Could the pads be aftermarket and he just didnt mention it, Could he have used old pads.

Who would want old pads?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Why would you think he used stock pads?
      09-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun1122 View Post
Hi all,

My girlfriends 07 328it recently needed new brakes. To save a few dollars she decided to go to an indy shop. She met with the mechanic (who was highly recommended by her co-workers) and was given a quote. She liked the price so went ahead with the brake job.

Since she had the brakes done the brake dust has been out of control. After just a week the front wheels look almost black. I help her keep her car clean as I do mine and so i noticed this immediately.

Now I am wondering if this guy did not use OEM pads. I know that BMW had an issue with this in the past but since the car was an off lease CPO with 38K i assumed that it had stock pads and the issue had been fixed.

I also have a BMW 335 that is new and I do not have this problem.

Could the pads be aftermarket and he just didnt mention it, Could he have used old pads.

Who would want old pads?
Why would he use OEM pads? Why would you think he would? Did he say it or something. I would never expect OEM pads or parts at an indy shop.

He used aftermarket pads which dust alot. That is all.

If you don't like them buy the pads you want(apparently OEM) and install them.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
minus13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

OEM pads are extremely dusty, too. With that said, I've found that there always seems to be a bit more dust than usual during the pads' initial break-in period (500 miles or so), regardless of what pad is used, and regardless of what vehicle we're talking about. I've also found that the average driver has a tendency to ride their new brakes just a little bit more than usual to "feel them out".

Clean the wheels and see what happens with another week of driving. Otherwise, change out the pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
minus13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

OEM pads are extremely dusty, too. With that said, I've found that there always seems to be a bit more dust than usual during the pads' initial break-in period (500 miles or so), regardless of what pad is used, and regardless of what vehicle we're talking about. I've also found that the average driver has a tendency to ride their new brakes just a little bit more than usual to "feel them out".

Clean the wheels and see what happens with another week of driving. Otherwise, change out the pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
r1concepts
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 335i

Next time just replace the pads with a ceramic pad or semi-metallic to help reduce the brake dust.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
My suggestion, ask the shop what kind of pads they used. It's the only way to be sure.

BMW has gotten better about brake dust. The stock pads that came on my '11 335i were nearly dust-free, even after a track day. Quite impressive.
      09-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Shogun1122
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Comp

Hi All,

So i found the receipt for the work. The receipt shows that the indy shop used "Jurid" brake pads.

It was suggested in the responses that they may just be the initial use of pads that is causing the dust and that it will get better. I hope so. I don't really want to pay to have new pads replaced with another set of new pads.

Some have asked why i would think an indy shop would use OEM parts. I guess i can just chalk that one up to naivete.

To me it does not seem that unreasonable that owners of BMW's would want OEM parts with out having to pay the dealership to have them installed. Should we ever use an Indy shop again I will be more clear that I would like OEM parts.

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
lacoa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: I8 + E36M3 + Granturismo MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun1122 View Post
Hi All,

So i found the receipt for the work. The receipt shows that the indy shop used "Jurid" brake pads.

It was suggested in the responses that they may just be the initial use of pads that is causing the dust and that it will get better. I hope so. I don't really want to pay to have new pads replaced with another set of new pads.

Some have asked why i would think an indy shop would use OEM parts. I guess i can just chalk that one up to naivete.

To me it does not seem that unreasonable that owners of BMW's would want OEM parts with out having to pay the dealership to have them installed. Should we ever use an Indy shop again I will be more clear that I would like OEM parts.

Thanks for your input.
You will never ever recieve OEM parts if you do not request them. Reason: cost on aftermarket pads: $22, cost on OEM pads: $66. These shops general concentrate on best pricing, although some will offer you different grades of pads rarely will they ever even offer OEM.

Solutions:

Find a shop that will use your parts that you bring in, then do research and find a pad with the characteristics that you like and use that. Downside to this is they will probably have a very very limited warranty due to you bringing in parts from outside.

Find a shop that offers different grades of pads so you can go with a ceramic pad that will dust significantly less.

With that being said they very well may start to dust less as they get broken in especially if they are conforming to an old set of rotors.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Aren't Jurid OEM, or at least OE pads? I know they are on my E34.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Aren't Jurid OEM, or at least OE pads? I know they are on my E34.
Probably means OEM fitment, not that they are BMW pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Jurid was OEM thru 2008 MY and many previous iterations, IE all E46 chassis cars. Not sure after 2008. Also Jurid and Bendix are the same company in case anyone cares.

To OP did you use the same rotors or get new rotors or resurface the rotors? That will factor into the initial wear and how long they last. If she was going least cost they might have just popped in some new pads and sensor and they will wear to the old rotors wear pattern quickly.
Appreciate 0