E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Newbie...First Winter ...Prep for Snow

11-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 Xi

Newbie...First Winter ...Prep for Snow

Hi guys,

I just purchased a blk 2006 325xi AWD sedan a couple of weeks ago!! (Finally, i have the key to my dream car ! )I just relocated back to CT a couple months ago from Atlanta I so haven't really dealt with snow in a while. ( so please be patient with me)

A few things about my car....

Currently have Brand-new all seasons... do I still need to put on snow tires?

I currently have stock alloy rims .... Would it be better to throw all black rims to prevent constant dirty rims from the snow?

I don't have a garage. Should I buy a cover to protect the car from a bad snow storm? ( someone recommended)

The DTC feature....is it really beneficial to use it?

Any other recommendations welcomed ...

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
freon480
12:34
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325xi

i have same car with a new set of all seasons and got around with the last storm we had with no problems. i have a set of blizzaks i put on last winter. the car is unstoppable with them on i must say. i may or may not put them back on . as far as dirty rims snow or not youll notice the brake dust especially on the fronts accumulates quiclkly. also i work in a body shop car covers can ruin clear coat if you get a cheap one. the cover is not necessary whats more important is washing the car after driving in snow to get salt/sand off. good luck!
      11-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep

I can definitely see myself running to the car wash after every snow storm. I was going to change the rims after the winter season and just ride the first one out...lol. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

I ran all season runflats last season without issue (but we also go no snow)

Unless you can sell the stock tires, just use them up before you get snows. Hunt on CL for some tires. There are usually good deals to be had since the tire sizes are common.
      11-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
You'll be fine with all seasons like those, but the best setup is a dedicated set of wheels with dedicated winter rubber, narrower width (say 225), and in a square setup. Then you can enjoy the better handling of summer rubber for the other 6-7 months of the year.

The DTC feature is pretty good. Makes the car a lot more predictable. With winter rubber, this car is basically point and shoot, even in very bad weather.

Have fun and be safe.

Also, don't run your car through a carwash (unless it's touchless). With all the winter grime on the cars, those brushes/sponges really do a number on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I'm in the same boat. Moved to Mass from ATL and have a 335xi with the factory wheels and all season tires. From what I hear from the locals I should be more than ok. Lots of WRXs and STis running around so they must know a thing or two about AWD snow driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict
You'll be fine with all seasons like those, but the best setup is a dedicated set of wheels with dedicated winter rubber, narrower width (say 225), and in a square setup. Then you can enjoy the better handling of summer rubber for the other 6-7 months of the year.

The DTC feature is pretty good. Makes the car a lot more predictable. With winter rubber, this car is basically point and shoot, even in very bad weather.

Have fun and be safe.

Also, don't run your car through a carwash (unless it's touchless). With all the winter grime on the cars, those brushes/sponges really do a number on the paint.
Thanks for your input. I want to be very careful with the paint on my car since its black so, ill have to take extra precaution when washing in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel335
I'm in the same boat. Moved to Mass from ATL and have a 335xi with the factory wheels and all season tires. From what I hear from the locals I should be more than ok. Lots of WRXs and STis running around so they must know a thing or two about AWD snow driving.
Lol...yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one!! Even though its an AWD I wanna baby it, I'll be extremely pissed if something happen to it and I haven't had for six months yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

They way I see it is people were driving in the snow before FWD and AWD (like our grandparents). So long as you slow way in advance and take turns like you've got a full cup of hot coffee between your legs you should be alright.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

AWD doesn't help you turn or stop, so I would (and did) put snow tires on. It was a big big difference in traction. In fact AWD makes steering even worse I found over my RWD BMW I used to have. You get a lot more push in the front end in the snow.

Maybe people used to drive without them, but people also used to put their kids in the back of the station wagon with no seatbelts. Times have changed. People these days drive like idiots. If I a set of snow tires will allow me to avoid on of them, it was money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braumin View Post
AWD doesn't help you turn or stop, so I would (and did) put snow tires on. It was a big big difference in traction. In fact AWD makes steering even worse I found over my RWD BMW I used to have. You get a lot more push in the front end in the snow.

Maybe people used to drive without them, but people also used to put their kids in the back of the station wagon with no seatbelts. Times have changed. People these days drive like idiots. If I a set of snow tires will allow me to avoid on of them, it was money well spent.
So basically it will definitely help to put snow tires on in addition to having a AWD drive car. If its not going to hurt me then maybe i should take a shot at it. I just didn't want to assume that having a AWD car was going to completely make my driving drastically better opposed to having a RWD car in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

AWD absolutely does help you turn. Anyone telling you RWD turns better in snow than AWD is completely and utterly wrong. It's not even a discussion point. That's insanity.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMonyWheels View Post
So basically it will definitely help to put snow tires on in addition to having a AWD drive car. If its not going to hurt me then maybe i should take a shot at it. I just didn't want to assume that having a AWD car was going to completely make my driving drastically better opposed to having a RWD car in the snow.
AWD with all seasons is going to be pretty darn good. I live in a very, very hilly area, and did fine for many years before going to dedicated seasonal setups. The snows are an improvement, no question, but honestly, I'd ride out the All Seasons and then move to a winter/summer package after that.

I'd take an AWD car in all seasons over a RWD car with snows every single time. There's no comparison. The stability and control with AWD versus a one wheel drive (RWD w/ no diff [EDIT] (LSD, not just diff) vehicle is night and day.

As noted above, stopping still requires the same level of care and caution, no matter the drive format. Only lateral and forward control is otherwise enhanced. That said, accident avoidance isn't always a straight line stop, and even in those circumstances, AWD will give you more options to safety than RWD.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 11-28-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict
Quote:
AWD with all seasons is going to be pretty darn good. I live in a very, very hilly area, and did fine for many years before going to dedicated seasonal setups. The snows are an improvement, no question, but honestly, I'd ride out the All Seasons and then move to a winter/summer package after that.

I'd take an AWD car in all seasons over a RWD car with snows every single time. There's no comparison. The stability and control with AWD versus a one wheel drive (RWD w/ no diff) vehicle is night and day.

As noted above, stopping still requires the same level of care and caution, no matter the drive format. Only lateral and forward control is otherwise enhanced. That said, accident avoidance isn't always a straight line stop, and even in those circumstances, AWD will give you more options to safety than RWD.
Thank you!!!

I will take your recommendation after reading around. I'll just keep in mind that I should drive safely at all times.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
moonsin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post

I'd take an AWD car in all seasons over a RWD car with snows every single time. There's no comparison. The stability and control with AWD versus a one wheel drive (RWD w/ no diff) vehicle is night and day.

'08 BSM//SB PROGRESSION THREAD
Bilstein/Eibach Pro-Kit, ACS Style Roof Spoiler, trunk lip spoiler,Aero lip, blackout grill/reflector, 19" ST8, Lightwerkz Custom Headlights, Muffler Delete, coded etc etc
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys,

I just purchased a blk 2006 325xi AWD sedan a couple of weeks ago!! (Finally, i have the key to my dream car ! )I just relocated back to CT a couple months ago from Atlanta I so haven't really dealt with snow in a while. ( so please be patient with me)

I currently have stock alloy rims .... Would it be better to throw all black rims to prevent constant dirty rims from the snow?

I don't have a garage. Should I buy a cover to protect the car from a bad snow storm? ( someone recommended)

Thank you
1. It depends. In theory, YES the best thing to do for your car, safety, and longevity of tires is to get a dedicated set of winter rubber. Are all seasons adequate for most driving, sure. All it takes is getting stuck once. My theory - if your job requires you to go in regardless of weather (i.e. 24 hour worker like Firefighter, EMT, Doctor, Nurse, etc) where you cannot call out due to weather or your job won't be closed due to weather - get the tires. If anything they provide better handling below 40 degrees. It's an investment. It's $$$ up front, but will increase the life of your other tires.

2. No. Black rims are "fo sho". You're not going to have any cleaner of an experience. Wash them every 2 weeks to prevent corrosion or other damage regardless of their color. My recommendation, get a dedicated set of winter rims. The investment is larger, but you can swap them yourself if you want, and some places charge up to $250 to swap rims/tires. So $500/year versus $2000 up front. 4 years it pays for itself, and saves you headaches... and you can decide when to put them on, or if you want to take them off if it's a mild winter.

3. A car cover isn't going to protect your car from a falling tree, it may prevent light scratches from people clearing off their cars. My recommendation, keep your car clean and waxed, and warm it up appropriately prior to clearing off snow to keep your car damage free. The best thing to do is clear off snow as soon as you can, or multiple times if it's a larger storm. That way if there's any ice it doesn't cake onto the car, or into multiple layers on your car

4. Yes, DTC can be very valuable when you need a bit more traction. Just push the DTC button when traveling in conditions where you need a little wheelspin to get some more grip, or if DSC is interfering too much with daily travel. Don't push and hold it to deactivate DSC all together, you will lose the rest of your traction control.

Hope that's helpful.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
Braumin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
AWD absolutely does help you turn. Anyone telling you RWD turns better in snow than AWD is completely and utterly wrong. It's not even a discussion point. That's insanity.
Sorry you are the one wrong here.

I've driven both, and the AWD understeers WAY more in the snow (assuming you are applying power).

Your tire has X amount of traction. If you are using Y amount of traction driving the wheel, then you only have X-Y left to help you steer.

And what's insane is you would take AWD with all seasons over RWD with snow tires. Personally I would take added traction in all circumstances rather than just added acceleration. Or maybe you just don't really get any snow...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
BlackMonyWheels
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thank you
1. It depends. In theory, YES the best thing to do for your car, safety, and longevity of tires is to get a dedicated set of winter rubber. Are all seasons adequate for most driving, sure. All it takes is getting stuck once. My theory - if your job requires you to go in regardless of weather (i.e. 24 hour worker like Firefighter, EMT, Doctor, Nurse, etc) where you cannot call out due to weather or your job won't be closed due to weather - get the tires. If anything they provide better handling below 40 degrees. It's an investment. It's $$$ up front, but will increase the life of your other tires.

2. No. Black rims are "fo sho". You're not going to have any cleaner of an experience. Wash them every 2 weeks to prevent corrosion or other damage regardless of their color. My recommendation, get a dedicated set of winter rims. The investment is larger, but you can swap them yourself if you want, and some places charge up to $250 to swap rims/tires. So $500/year versus $2000 up front. 4 years it pays for itself, and saves you headaches... and you can decide when to put them on, or if you want to take them off if it's a mild winter.

3. A car cover isn't going to protect your car from a falling tree, it may prevent light scratches from people clearing off their cars. My recommendation, keep your car clean and waxed, and warm it up appropriately prior to clearing off snow to keep your car damage free. The best thing to do is clear off snow as soon as you can, or multiple times if it's a larger storm. That way if there's any ice it doesn't cake onto the car, or into multiple layers on your car

4. Yes, DTC can be very valuable when you need a bit more traction. Just push the DTC button when traveling in conditions where you need a little wheelspin to get some more grip, or if DSC is interfering too much with daily travel. Don't push and hold it to deactivate DSC all together, you will lose the rest of your traction control.

Hope that's helpful.
Thank you for the breakdown...

This is exactly what I was looking for. I was prepared to get a new set of rims and tires because of the winter conditions however, I wanted to see if it was NEEDED. In addition, I think I'm going to use the clay bar and apply some sealant to protect my coat of paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
fordperf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi LCI

Quote:
The stability and control with AWD versus a one wheel drive (RWD w/ no diff) vehicle is night and day.
Wait isn't RWD w/ no diff a posi? Wouldn't that be two-wheel-drive then?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

we're getting off topic here.

i would look to get something even more narrow if you are to drive in a lot of snow, a 205/50/17 would be better than a 225/45/17
      11-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry you are the one wrong here.

I've driven both, and the AWD understeers WAY more in the snow (assuming you are applying power).

Your tire has X amount of traction. If you are using Y amount of traction driving the wheel, then you only have X-Y left to help you steer.

And what's insane is you would take AWD with all seasons over RWD with snow tires. Personally I would take added traction in all circumstances rather than just added acceleration. Or maybe you just don't really get any snow...

Please, stop providing "advice" to people here, lest they may actually think you know WTF you're talking about. Particularly the part where you imply that understeer is less safe than oversteer in a situation where traction is lost.

You also clearly haven't the slightest idea how power transfer in an AWD vehicle (in particular XDrive) operates. Do some reading, and save yourself further public embarrassment, like where you just told someone 1 wheel of action in a slip condition is better than 4, just because it has a snow tire on it.

yikes. You're the reason the internet is a dangerous place to find advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
Wait isn't RWD w/ no diff a posi? Wouldn't that be two-wheel-drive then?
Should have said no LSD.
Appreciate 0