E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Convince me to Change my Avatar and Raise Money for Help the Heroes

09-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #67
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

The Guards have put blood, sweat and tears into the defence of this Country with loyalty 'second to none' for nearly five hundred years and yet this Avatar is thought to be of no consequence and in effect good for a laugh?

It just confirms my ever opinion that the majority of the population and obviously some members of this website, who seem to think themselves very clever, have an ‘in built’ difficulty in sequencing or as they say in education ‘joining-up’. But there is ever hope!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #68
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
The Guards have put blood, sweat and tears into the defence of this Country with loyalty 'second to none' for nearly five hundred years
QED.

You seem to have difficulty understanding that nobody disputes that and only somebody of an incredibly sensitive disposition would find the Avatar in any way offensive.

Perhaps I should march into the Guard Room on camp and demand they remove the photos from the inter-service "It's a knockout" showing some Navy lads face down in the mud.

But they'd probably tell me to piss off and get a life.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:08 AM   #69
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
The Guards have put blood, sweat and tears into the defence of this Country with loyalty 'second to none' for nearly five hundred years and yet this Avatar is thought to be of no consequence and in effect good for a laugh?

It just confirms my ever opinion that the majority of the population and obviously some members of this website, who seem to think themselves very clever, have an ‘in built’ difficulty in sequencing or as they say in education ‘joining-up’. But there is ever hope!
Right my thoughts are now absolutely confirmed.

It is clear you are a 'man' on a mission for whatever reason and instead of sending MasterGunner a PM about your strange obsession with his avatar, you chose to air your dirty laundry in public. A tad hypocritical considering the content of some of your previous posts lamenting freedom of speech and free thought .

I would suggest that if this compulsive obsessive behaviour (imo) is to continue then you should address your issues with the site administrators as previously mentioned, although strangely that point you have chosen to ignore which now makes me think perhaps it was all simply aimed at MasterGunner for whatever 'reason'.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #70
Trevikins
Retired
England
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Quote:

Carjack, this all getting a bit silly now and your point of view is becoming laughable. Admittedly it has probably kept the momentum of the tread going to the point where we (the forum members) have raised £100.00 for help for heroes (remembering that you had to be pushed to contribute).

While the thread has exceeded my expectations in terms of donations, I had hoped that you would calm down and realise that it is just a 100 x 100 pixel photograph of a guardsman who has fainted. The reason I find it so amusing was that the guy has fainted ‘to attention’ as all good guards are encouraged to do by their drill Sergeants (that in itself is funny to me as an ex drill instructor). As pointed out the image is a stock image which I am free to use.

I don’t know you but I’m painting a picture in my mind (A non racist Alf Garnett type perhaps, sorry some might have to Google that!). I have the feeling that people are getting quite bored with you now, I just hope it doesn’t stop more people donating.

Here’s a challenge for you, in your next post how about putting forward an idea for keeping the donations coming in.

Alas I’m away for a few days so I’ll miss your reply... pity that!

Last edited by Trevikins; 09-23-2010 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #71
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Right my thoughts are now absolutely confirmed.

It is clear you are a 'man' on a mission for whatever reason and instead of sending MasterGunner a PM about your strange obsession with his avatar, you chose to air your dirty laundry in public. A tad hypocritical considering the content of some of your previous posts lamenting freedom of speech and free thought .

I would suggest that if this compulsive obsessive behaviour (imo) is to continue then you should address your issues with the site administrators as previously mentioned, although strangely that point you have chosen to ignore which now makes me think perhaps it was all simply aimed at MasterGunner for whatever 'reason'.

Beemeerbird, I do love your posts with excellent opinions , always readable and will continue to do so.
I do agree, I might have ‘problem’: I do get very focussed always have, always will.
But somebodys got to, otherwise, the riff raff will take over and there’s plenty of those about.
So, throughout, I believe, it is important if one is to succeed, whether as an individual or as a country attention to detail and standards, whether in manufacturing , printing, soldiering or propaganda is very, very important.
I have no ill feeling to ‘Master Gunner’ whatsoever. As an ex Gunner myself I much admire his qualification and the prestige he has, but his Avatar regarding another unit is ‘out of order’.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 06:11 AM   #72
jimmylimmy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 'charged VXR8

Quote:
Beemeerbird, I do love your posts with excellent opinions , always readable and will continue to do so.
I do agree, I might have ‘problem’: I do get very focussed always have, always will.
But somebodys got to, otherwise, the riff raff will take over and there’s plenty of those about.
So, throughout, I believe, it is important if one is to succeed, whether as an individual or as a country attention to detail and standards, whether in manufacturing , printing, soldiering or propaganda is very, very important.
I have no ill feeling to ‘Master Gunner’ whatsoever. As an ex Gunner myself I much admire his qualification and the prestige he has, but his Avatar regarding another unit is ‘out of order’.
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please give it a rest. Enough is enough. You have you opinion, you have stated it over and over. I'm losing the will to live

ETA: No offence to anyone who has commited suicide, plans to commit suicide, has a family member, friend, neighbour, dog etc that has. Its a smiley!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #73
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylimmy View Post
Please, please, please, please, please, please, please give it a rest. Enough is enough. You have you opinion, you have stated it over and over. I'm losing the will to live

ETA: No offence to anyone who has commited suicide, plans to commit suicide, has a family member, friend, neighbour, dog etc that has. Its a smiley!
jimmylimmy. I quite agree! Cheers to all, including 'Master Gunner'
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #74
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
jimmylimmy. I quite agree! Cheers to all, including 'Master Gunner'
Perhaps you should complain to the BBC, Telegraph and Daily Mail as they each have photographs of fainted guardsmen dating back to the 1960s.

Better yet complain to the queen for making them stand about in a massive fur hat on sunny days.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #75
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

I've chosen not to get involved in this thread until now, but fwiw I couldnt give a left monkeys bollock about anyones avatar,and I stilll dont. I'm off to Asda now.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:15 AM   #76
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Perhaps you should complain to the BBC, Telegraph and Daily Mail as they each have photographs of fainted guardsmen dating back to the 1960s.

Better yet complain to the queen for making them stand about in a massive fur hat on sunny days.
I thought this post was now dead in the water. But obviously not!

NFS you have missed the point: there has always been a streak of ignorance in the media making play of fainted guardsman. They just love that sort of thing.
But for an ex 'Master Gunner' to make play? Note, that he is not taking the p*ss out of his old Regiment. He is in effect ridiculing the Guards. Sad!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 06:25 AM   #77
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

NFS is missing the point?

Are you kidding?

Quote:
He is in effect ridiculing the Guards. Sad!
No he isn't.

Christ on a bike.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #78
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

NFS you have missed the point: there has always been a streak of ignorance in the media making play of fainted guardsman. They just love that sort of thing.
But for an ex 'Master Gunner' to make play? Note, that he is not taking the p*ss out of his old Regiment. He is in effect ridiculing the Guards. Sad!
I blame the queen. She makes them wear the hats.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #79
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I blame the queen. She makes them wear the hats.
It is a comparitivly rare occurance for a Guardsman to faint on H.G. Parade and if it happens I would suggest its nothing really to do with the bearskin whatsoever.
More like due to the 'night before' or just being an 'idle soldier' and all those who served know what that means.
They are all fit 'young' men and infantry men at that, which = tough training, which should = no problem.
Being ex infantry, we used to have RSM's parade Wednesday mornings with Ajadants/C.O.'s Parade Sat mornings, throughout most of the year, all basically for a T the C in the distant future.
IMO the hardest part was not the standing still, but the high degree of concentration reguired in listening for the words of command and to act with the correct timing.
The Guards parade to a very high standard for which they have my utmost admiration, no other unit could do it better.
They just do not deserve that Avatar!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #80
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
NFS is missing the point?

Are you kidding?

No he isn't.

Christ on a bike.
xenon as you are a 'Lieutenant Colonel', your 'on a bike' surprises me.
May I suggest you keep to the more motoring side of this website as you may be out of your depth?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #81
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

'Lieutenant Colonel' relates to the number of posts and is done automatically by the forum. Have a look at yours, mine and others. All relates to the number of posts, nothing to do with the forces. Time to give this a rest?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #82
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:

It would be if you allowed it to but you keep adding inflammatory comments!

This will hopefully sort it out :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #83
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #84
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

thread in danger of gaining 'Ryanair' status
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #85
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Carjack (what's your name?), come to a meet sometime and we'll discuss this without the anonymity of the forum.

But in the meantime, whilst a sense of right and wrong is admirable in most instances, you need to be aware and careful of not crossing that fine line between others 'listening' to your opinions and coming across as rather obstinate, single minded laced with a degree of arrogance if you wish to be taken seriously. And allowing that sense of right or wrong (in your opinion), to become all consuming and losing touch with reality at the detriment of what is actually important in real life.

I'm not risking any more RSI on this thread now. I know what I know.

Anyone get that fantastic thunder storm last night?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #86
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They just do not deserve that Avatar!
So do they not actually faint then?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #87
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So do they not actually faint then?
A tough trained infantry soldier fainting? They are not wimps, they are soldiers.

Perhaps it best if this is the last thread on this topic.
I would like to thank all for what they had to say, whatever! And a special thanks to Beemerbird, she always makes my day!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #88
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Anyone made any more donations?