E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Intake Preference ?

12-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #67
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyJ View Post
The mileage/gallon change I am just reading from my OBC dashboard...I am no mechanic or engineer but I had fun modding the air box...was it worth the $200?

I enjoy working on cars...
I've taken record of every ounce of fuel I've filled my E90 with and hand calculated (Excel) the MPG for every tank since the car had 3 miles on it. It now has 338,000. For the past 10 years I've driven the car 98% of the time to work on the same roads and filled the tank at the same gas pump. The average fuel consumption per tank varies far more than 5% between consecutive fills.

I've done this for all my cars over my lifetime and a few cars I've swapped in a K&N airfilter. The change in MPG between the stock paper filter and the K&N was well within the standard deviation I spoke of above. IMO, from a somewhat real-world scientific test, K&N filters don't do anything to improve performance, either in fuel consumption nor horsepower.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #68
stevesingo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i MSport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Sheesh, some people prefer data-driven decision making. Here's data. Some people make up their minds regardless of the data, or especially because, the data differs from expectations.

I was extremely skeptical about the benefits of the snorkel and smooth hose. That's why I documented the experiment with data.

You seem skeptical, too. But since the results differ from your knowledge, you're critiquing the process, without any evidence:

"It looks like there has been a change of atmospheric conditions and no corrections have been applied."

I think that I recorded the temp and humidity somewhere in that old thread.

What's next, discrediting the results as "junk science"?
The temps (50/54degF) are noted in the thread, but not the air pressure nor humidity. This would be moot if the same correction factor was applied, but there is no mention of correction factors.

Nor is there any explanation as to why the engine ran so much richer during the 2nd test.

Was this a result of the new intake? Was this a result of some other change? Was the increase in power as a consequence of the richer running?

Correct testing should involve a control and a test. The conditions for both should be as close as possible. Two tests months apart which involved the car being removed from the rollers and refitted, is not going to help with the validation of the test. Even testing on the same dyno 15mins apart will show a degree of measurable variance. We have no control of transmission oils nor tyre temp. We can go to extremes and measure tyre temps with an IR thermometer and try to conduct our tests with the same temps.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #69
tetsuo111
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZSP 6MT RWD Sportswagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesingo View Post
The temps (50/54degF) are noted in the thread, but not the air pressure nor humidity. This would be moot if the same correction factor was applied, but there is no mention of correction factors.

Nor is there any explanation as to why the engine ran so much richer during the 2nd test.

Was this a result of the new intake? Was this a result of some other change? Was the increase in power as a consequence of the richer running?

Correct testing should involve a control and a test. The conditions for both should be as close as possible. Two tests months apart which involved the car being removed from the rollers and refitted, is not going to help with the validation of the test. Even testing on the same dyno 15mins apart will show a degree of measurable variance. We have no control of transmission oils nor tyre temp. We can go to extremes and measure tyre temps with an IR thermometer and try to conduct our tests with the same temps.
The testing methodology is satisfactory for the application: to prove or disprove my skepticism about improving flow type (laminar or turbulent) and flow volume. I've scratched my itch, and am only sharing the results of my labor with the community out of goodwill.

Come on stevesingo... The test methodology isn't SAE caliber because this isn't SAE, it's simply a hobby forum. No need to get lost in the noise.

You (and anyone else) should feel free to contribute your test methodology, conduct more rigorous testing, and raise the knowledge bar. I would review the results with interest.

In the meantime, Happy Holidays.
BMW CCA #505794 | 2011 E91 6MT RWD ZSP Sportswagon
Sapphire black | 3280 lbs | 330i DME | M-Performance Aero | M3 chassis | Recaro Profi | Apex ARC-8 | ^ O2 in | Dundon Inconel exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 07:00 PM   #70
e92_bryan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 tiag E90

Donít wanna read the technicallities on calculating mpg
But I did a carbon filter delete, k&n drop in and mishimito silicone intake boot to replace the silencer all in the same day and already had a straight pipe from the primaries back, other than that nothing else
But those 3 intake mods made my car feel like a whole different car
Way more responsibe
Havenít dynoed it and dont plan on it but I would say the torque curve feels a lot smoother
Appreciate 0