E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Lesson learned.

07-15-2021, 12:42 AM   #1
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Lesson learned.

I have sparesbox an order for $564 for 6 plugs, 5 coils and a spark plug socket on Monday. Contacted them on Tuesday to see why it had not shipped. They didn't have the spark plug socket in stock. We agreed they would ship the balance of the order. Contacted them today and was told they don't have the coils in stock. They would ship them when they got in later today. Bottom line is that I won't have my parts for the weekend. I was told by Tom from sparesbox that they show their distributor inventory on the site……..

Australian retailers need to understand why we don't shop locally. I bet that i would have had those parts in my grubby paws by tomorrow had I Ordered from ECS on Monday.

While looking for the Sparesbox order in my email, i found an order from 2019 that i had them cancel when it had not shipped in over a week. So not a COVID related issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 01:55 AM   #2
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
You may or may not have received your order from ECS in that timeframe (I've had some bad experiences with them at times over the years too with slow shipping, but parts arrived eventually).

A part I ordered from Schmiedmann recently arrived in 10 days - given the COVID situation I thought it was pretty good. Normally they take 5 days pre-COVID if they have the part in stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 02:16 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
I have sparesbox an order for $564 for 6 plugs, 5 coils and a spark plug socket on Monday. Contacted them on Tuesday to see why it had not shipped. They didn't have the spark plug socket in stock. We agreed they would ship the balance of the order. Contacted them today and was told they don't have the coils in stock. They would ship them when they got in later today. Bottom line is that I won't have my parts for the weekend. I was told by Tom from sparesbox that they show their distributor inventory on the site……..

Australian retailers need to understand why we don't shop locally. I bet that i would have had those parts in my grubby paws by tomorrow had I Ordered from ECS on Monday.

While looking for the Sparesbox order in my email, i found an order from 2019 that i had them cancel when it had not shipped in over a week. So not a COVID related issue.
I hate sparesbox with a passion. Slow, terrible customer service, just a total pinta to deal with. I dont know how they are still in business tbh..... I buy all my parts from FCP euro in the USA. Shipping is exy and they are not perfect but most stuff arrives within a week and they have a pretty comprehensive range at reasonable prices. Def the most reliable supplier I have used over my 5 years of modding
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:00 AM   #4
insanesam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Do you have to pay import gst and duties when buying from fcp?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #5
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
If the value is more than $1000 AUD you pay 10% GST and 5% duty, otherwise it comes in free.

I've used https://www.getbmwparts.com in the past and found them to be very helpful, but perhaps not the best price for generic parts.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Not quite - that rule changed some years back. You always pay GST now and the onus placed on the international seller to apply the GST if the order is less than $1000AUD. If the order is over $1k the GST is applied at the border by customs. Some companies have it sorted and add it on, eBay does it for the seller if they ship to Australia, some don't bother (and run the risk of being fined / banned from selling to Australia but likely assume that nothing is going to happen), and some companies now refuse to ship to Australia because they can't be arsed dealing with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 05:51 PM   #7
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
If you purchase from large corporations like ebay or amazon and some freight forwarding companies then they automatically add 10% GST.

Otherwise if you buy from a small race shop it will get through if the value on the invoice is < $1000 AUD. I think the company has to be registered for GST in Australia to charge GST so none of those small companies are going to have that.

For exmaple, I bought some track pads from https://apexperformance.net/ and they came through duty and GST free. I also import a lot of stuff from China and the low value items regularly come through duty/GST free which is great for small orders, a saving of up to $150.

I think its also always a good idea to make sure there is a seperate invoice showing the value of the goods, otherwise they will lump the shipping in and it will push it over the $1000AUD threshold.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:47 PM   #8
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quote:

I hate sparesbox with a passion. Slow, terrible customer service, just a total pinta to deal with. I dont know how they are still in business tbh..... I buy all my parts from FCP euro in the USA. Shipping is exy and they are not perfect but most stuff arrives within a week and they have a pretty comprehensive range at reasonable prices. Def the most reliable supplier I have used over my 5 years of modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quote:

Sparesbox is owned by the same mob as repco i was told by a repco counter person.

Anyway. The parts did not ship on Friday. They shipped yesterday without the plug spammer despite claiming it had been shipped.

Car is running at last. Amazing what 6 coils and plugs will do for you.
Appreciate 1
umr26.50
      07-20-2021, 02:13 AM   #9
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Sparesbox is owned by the same mob as repco i was told by a repco counter person.

Anyway. The parts did not ship on Friday. They shipped yesterday without the plug spammer despite claiming it had been shipped.

Car is running at last. Amazing what 6 coils and plugs will do for you.
Typical.... why I never buy from Sparesbox. Sorry you had to put up with that crap Aussie

On the upside, glad you got the car up and running
Appreciate 0