E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Formula One Pinnacle Install in Bay Area?

03-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi ED

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Question Formula One Pinnacle Install in Bay Area?

Hey guys,
After much consideration, I am now more convinced this is the way to go, rather than Huper Optic. I've read a lot of people's posts that HO can have a weird brown or sometimes blue cast to it, & end up getting rid of it. After seeing it on several SG pics, I tend to agree. Even the Audi in the Automall Tint Factory's pics looks a little funky to me. And I haven't really read any complaints about Pinnacle.
So does anyone have first hand experience or recommend a good installer?
Thanks
      03-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Ok, so the dealer locator listed :
1. Sound Source in Oakland. Anyone heard good/ bad about this place?
2. Rocky Mountain Windowtint in Livermore or Antioch
(is the one in Fremont listed on the Bay area tint thread run by the same people? cause people gave that one a thumbs up)
Thanks
      03-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
imho pictures dont mean anything... lighting can make all the difference esp w/ tinting... whats dark on an image may be relatively light just because theres no sunlight or cloudy day... or if the car is against a white background that can make a adifferent as well. your best bet is to visit the actual shop and look at a demo car...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2007, 12:40 AM   #4
18LLC
Major General
Rep
Drives: e89

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkerklu View Post
Ok, so the dealer locator listed :
1. Sound Source in Oakland. Anyone heard good/ bad about this place?
2. Rocky Mountain Windowtint in Livermore or Antioch
(is the one in Fremont listed on the Bay area tint thread run by the same people? cause people gave that one a thumbs up)
Thanks
i only know Oakland HiFi
      03-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Well, I didn’t feel too kosher about Huper installation after
1. Getting quotted $580 to do 5 windows
2. darkest tint recommended by installer was 40% (since the material is very hard for them to shrink & they have problems with installing & ghosting on the heavier grade)
3. The installer tried to sell me Suntek HP instead
I was very appreciative of the honesty.

So I’m making an appointment at Rocky Mountain Windowtint in Livermore, for which I got quoted to do $375 to do 5 windows with Formula One Pinnacle. The guy I talked to says they deal with EastBay BMW a lot, so they’re very familiar with installing on e90’s. They have demos cars so we can make the final inspection beforehand…
      03-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
kyee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan

Did you end up doing the F1 tint? I'm also trying to figure out whether to do the F1 or HO tint on my 335i. I'm in the Menlo Park/So.SF area.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Yea, my appt is Saturday. The car's been in the shop so I haven't been able to do much.
I will post before and after pics this weekend.
I hope it turns out & holds up well, I was just reading how people are having problems with tints & scratching on the back windows due to lack of felt barrier keeping crap out.
I'm gonna be pissed if I spend all this money & end up w/ scratches in 6 months..
      03-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Yea, my appt is Saturday. The car's been in the shop so I haven't been able to do much.
I will post before and after pics this weekend.
I hope it turns out & holds up well, I was just reading how people are having problems with tints & scratching on the back windows due to lack of felt barrier keeping crap out.
I'm gonna be pissed if I spend all this money & end up w/ scratches in 6 months..
To be honest, if you don't see the tints you are looking for in person (like
just4kickz said) you can't judge. Do see the HO in person. I also looked at
pictures and I thought it had a greenish tint on some cars and a brownish
one on others. But it doesn't. It's all about the light. Regarding the back
windows, there is a solution so that they don't scratch the tint
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
^Right, that wasn't the deal breaker for me. After talking to the installer, I was a little uneasy about having them do it.
Also, while researching, I read enough posts where people complained about the HO discoloration happening after they'd had the tints for a little while, and ended up swapping for the F1, which also concerned me.
I haven't read any complaints for Pinnacle, so I figured I would save some time & money and do that first (it is afterall, the comparable ceramic tint). [I don't want to risk wasting any money on retinting these pricey tints when I am frothing at the mouth to get my wheels]

So I'm glad it worked out for you , I just chose not to go that route.
      03-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

For you Pinacle guys, do you have pics of your cars? I know I want 20%, and I was thinking to go with Suntek, but now maybe F1 Pinacle?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
kyee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i sedan

I just made an appt to install Suntek in 2 weeks, but I was also debating on whether or not to do the F1 tint. decisions, decisions...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Thumbs up Rocky Moutain Windowtints

So we dropped the car off today in Livermore for 35% all around Formula One Pinnacle. The tint looks perfect with SG, it went on beautifully, the hue matches perfectly.
We also discussed in some lenght the rear window scratch problem due to lack of felt on both sides. They had been installing the missing felt, but realized that in the heat, the glue gums up, and people had been bringing their cars back to clean it up. In fact, while we were there, a Mercedes (they also have the same problem with the back windows) came in to have them fix it again. So the next fix he recommended was cutting the plastic guard from the felt guide, which we did.

We figured it was going to be an out of the way place (which it was) so we went with friends, told the installer to take their time, and picked the car up 6 hours later. Matt did an excellent job, the car looks fantastic. I would highly recommend booking on a Saturday, going with friends & making a day of it by doing wine tasting in the area while you are waiting for the car.

Thanks to this forum for all the tips on tints, etc. Dave was a little skeptical about the extra effort to find the right film, installer, etc. but he was SUPER happy when he saw the car this afternoon. :rocks: It was worth the drive over there.

I'll post some before and after pics later...

Last edited by klinkerklu; 03-31-2007 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Here is a crapp-o pic from camera phone, but for comparison, there is a black 325 behind us w/ no tint.
Attached Images

04-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #14
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
How much did the tint cost and how long did it take. What's the address and info contact on that again

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Details:
Rocky Mountain WindowTints (run by Matt)
4749 Bennett Dr, Suite M
Livermore, CA 94551
(925) 373-2577
Tues-Sat 8-6pm

Formula One Pinnacle: $374 for all around (excluding windshield & sunroof).
3-4 hrs to complete (we left it for 6 hrs & said no rush, cause I hate it when people hurry to finish things)
From San Mateo, it took us about 30 min. to get there on a Sat. morning

Matt was great, we talked for quite awhile about the car, and again we are really impressed by the result.
If you haven’t decided on tints, I highly recommend this film & shop.
      04-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #16
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
So we dropped the car off today in Livermore for 35% all around Formula One Pinnacle. The tint looks perfect with SG, it went on beautifully, the hue matches perfectly.
We also discussed in some lenght the rear window scratch problem due to lack of felt on both sides. They had been installing the missing felt, but realized that in the heat, the glue gums up, and people had been bringing their cars back to clean it up. In fact, while we were there, a Mercedes (they also have the same problem with the back windows) came in to have them fix it again. So the next fix he recommended was cutting the plastic guard from the felt guide, which we did.

We figured it was going to be an out of the way place (which it was) so we went with friends, told the installer to take their time, and picked the car up 6 hours later. Matt did an excellent job, the car looks fantastic. I would highly recommend booking on a Saturday, going with friends & making a day of it by doing wine tasting in the area while you are waiting for the car.

Thanks to this forum for all the tips on tints, etc. Dave was a little skeptical about the extra effort to find the right film, installer, etc. but he was SUPER happy when he saw the car this afternoon. :rocks: It was worth the drive over there.

I'll post some before and after pics later...
klinkerklu, your write-up about Ricky Mountain prompted me to get my windows tinted there. Needless to say, I was very pleased with the results. The pics look kind of dark because it was overcast and I used a cheap camera Anyway, here's a couple of pics of my Jet Black 330i w/ Biege leather interior. I went with the Formula One Pinnacle 35% all the way around
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #17
KJFlood
Sheepdog
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2010 m3

Aahh. Good to know all this stuff. I will be picking my 335i Up in about 3 weeks from East Bay and the place you got it done was where they directed me to go.
Glad to see the quality of work is GOOD and the price isn't OVERLY high.
Thanks for the reviews folks
Appreciate 0