E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > klasse vs. zaino

01-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #23
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWally
What should us women do? When we don't a) have the arms of a manly man, to wax coats and coats and b) clueless (but learning) on detailing a car?
This takes very little pressure. WIPE on/off, not rub or buff or anything like that. Are you tall enough to easily reach the top of the car? If so, it would just be that initial claying of the car that takes any kind or pressure, and even that is typically enough if you just use two fingers. Since you are not applying much of the product (1 oz of Z2/ZFX mixture easily does an E90) there isn't much to remove. And it doesn't cake up or really "stick" in a fashion that you would have to rub to remove. Hand washing and chamois drying takes more pressure than applying any Zaino products.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #24
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
This takes very little pressure. WIPE on/off, not rub or buff or anything like that. Are you tall enough to easily reach the top of the car? If so, it would just be that initial claying of the car that takes any kind or pressure, and even that is typically enough if you just use two fingers. Since you are not applying much of the product (1 oz of Z2/ZFX mixture easily does an E90) there isn't much to remove. And it doesn't cake up or really "stick" in a fashion that you would have to rub to remove. Hand washing and chamois drying takes more pressure than applying any Zaino products.
Absolutely, Zaino is so easy to apply and remove, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. Although, that be all be moot if you were using a PC.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #25
BMWally
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i, 2006 330i

Quote:
In that case, I'm going to brave it, and try it on my own. Might haveta get my guy friends to help, haha... Tall enough, no.... gotta put chairs around. Still gotta figure out where to wash, since the Homeowners association don't allow car washing. (something about wasting water and looks tacky?) Whatevers....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #26
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

MY experience with Zaino has been that there is no need for a PC or any other electric device. But I haven't had to do any actual POLISHING on my car yet, i.e. removal of scratches.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #27
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

If you HAVE to go to one of the do-it-yourself car washes, only use it as a source of water to rinse your car. A nice feature of Zaino is that you don't have to worry too much about sun exposure during application.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #28
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
MY experience with Zaino has been that there is no need for a PC or any other electric device. But I haven't had to do any actual POLISHING on my car yet, i.e. removal of scratches.
There isn't a need with any mechanical tools for Zaino itself. I'm just saying there really isn't any effort involved with using a PC, as opposed to the varied amount of effort involved in applying different polishes.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 06:30 PM   #29
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
I wouldn't bother with Z-1 unless 10 bucks is a big deal to you. ZFX is the replacement / upgrade for Z-1. Why put a whole coat of Z-1 on your car when you can just add a few drops of ZFX to your Z-2? Unless you have extra time and want to build up your arm strength, I'd spring for the ZFX.
Okay, very good. ZFX + Z-2 Pro it is. Maybe a follow-up with Z-6 or Z-8. A couple of other questions:
1. I only plan on polishing every 6 months at the most (I live in So. California, always sunny). Would 2 coats of Z-2/ZFX be good, hard protection?
2. Which gives better protection: Z-6 or Z-8? Or are these products for looks only? (I know Z-8 is much glossier.) I have Titanium Silver.

Thanks again for the good advice everyone, especially David and Cosmoblau.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 09:05 PM   #30
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplacian
Okay, very good. ZFX + Z-2 Pro it is. Maybe a follow-up with Z-6 or Z-8. A couple of other questions:
1. I only plan on polishing every 6 months at the most (I live in So. California, always sunny). Would 2 coats of Z-2/ZFX be good, hard protection?
2. Which gives better protection: Z-6 or Z-8? Or are these products for looks only? (I know Z-8 is much glossier.) I have Titanium Silver.

1. If it's always sunny, two coats should be adequate. Just do a quick wash and Z6 every couple of weeks to keep it clean. If you have the time though, you can do the extra third for more protection.

2. It says on the website to use Z-8 for special occasions, and that it will give the car that extra zing and protection. I have both Z-6 and Z-8, but I normally just use Z-6. If I feel like it, I'll end my detail with Z-8, but it really isn't necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #31
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplacian

In my experience, the Z-8 offers the greatest protection. On the bottles themselves, the Z-6's subtitle is "Gloss Enhancer", but the Z-8 says "Spray Seal". At this point, I use Z-6 in between coats of Z-2/ZFX, and I wipe on the Z-8 after almost every wash. When I use up the Z-6 I'll only buy Z-8 from now on (even though Z-6 smells better).

At this point, I have learned how to use this stuff so sparingly that the cost difference is neglible.

P.S.- I would do 3 coats. It will definitely last 6 months.