E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Newbie at detailing need some advice

01-27-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
aznyeast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Newbie at detailing need some advice

Hi, im going to be getting my car probably in 2 weeks and would like to keep my paint as new as possible. I never actually wax/polish any car before so this probably be my first time. I read alot of thread and would like to know if it is safe to polish a new car? From my understanding, this is how the procedure goes

1. Wash
2. Polish with PC 7424, thinking about zaino Z-PC
3. Wax with Z-5. (Is this by hand or still using PC???)

Also, how many coats of what would I need to apply. Any help would be great

Just want to make sure it is safe to polish before I actually do it. Since I dont have any scratch marks, I dont see the point in polish. I dunno, explain please
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Check here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9145

There is a whole section on how to apply zanio..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
aznyeast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

I kinda read through that thread but it doesn't seems like it answer my question. What I know is that polish hide scratch marks but then I dont think my new car will have any. So I am here wondering what is the advantage of polish other than that. Should I even polish it? Maybe I miss it in that thread because im not a good reader.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Yes you can polish a new car. In fact after I polished my 1 week old car, the paint looked alot better than when I started. Remember, polishing is not really to remove scratch marks, it's to really "clean" the paint and remove ever so slight imperfections so that you can apply a wax/sealer.

So the procedure spelled out in the thread I reverenced is still valid. Also, before you dive in and get a PC, I would suggest you check out: http://autopia.org/ . They have answers to all of your questions in either FAQs or in the discussions (just use the search feature). I got ALOT of info from that site before I starting doing anything on my car.
Appreciate 0