E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > klasse vs. zaino

01-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

klasse vs. zaino

Seems like people around here use one or the other to shine up their beautiful cars. I have a couple of questions: Which provides better protection (from bird poop, tar drops from trees, etc.)? Which lasts longer?

1. One coat with Klasse AIO plus one coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze.
or
2. Two coats of Zaino

I plan on using either method 1 or 2 to wax/polish/protect my car (when it gets here!!!). If anyone has a better alternative to 1 or 2, please share!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

I have and use both and I can tell you Zaino will last longer. It is just a better product. Klasse is nice too though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep

Okay, which Zaino product(s) do you use? How mild is the polish? I don't want anything eating away at my brand new paint--I mainly want to put a nice solid coat on it to protect it from stuff. (But I want something a bit nicer than Turtle Wax.)

EDIT: Looks like Zaino Z-2 Pro is the right stuff, mixed with ZFX for the first application or multiple coats, correct?

But how much protection can this stuff offer if you're not supposed to use more than 1 ounce for the entire car?

Last edited by Laplacian; 01-17-2006 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Has anyone used meguiars NXT. I used it this weekend for a quicky wax job on my car and it worked well. Not sure how long it will last though.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
for protection meguiars NXT is the way to go, the best protection and a reasonable shine look at these pics of mine. All with just the wax.

01-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

NXT is trash. It's full of oil and filler. You'll get 2-4 weeks of protection if you're lucky.

As for only an ounce of zaino. trust me, that one ounce of Z2 mixed with ZFX will get you 3 coats and it will provide a lot of protection. Your paint can only accept a certain amount of sealant, regardless of how much you apply. Glaobbing on sealant does not equal more protection because you will just wipe of the excess anyway. The key for Zaino is to put it on super thin. It will dry faster, and will not streak when you remove the excess. Hope this clears things up.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 12:17 AM   #7
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
NXT is trash. It's full of oil and filler. You'll get 2-4 weeks of protection if you're lucky.

As for only an ounce of zaino. trust me, that one ounce of Z2 mixed with ZFX will get you 3 coats and it will provide a lot of protection. Your paint can only accept a certain amount of sealant, regardless of how much you apply. Glaobbing on sealant does not equal more protection because you will just wipe of the excess anyway. The key for Zaino is to put it on super thin. It will dry faster, and will not streak when you remove the excess. Hope this clears things up.
So David, you prefer Zaino over Klasse? I bought Klasse, but I figure I'll use it up before I'll try switching over to Zaino.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, that's fine. Nothing so wrong with klasse that you should throw it away or forget you have it. Use it up, see how you like it, then switch over to Zaino if you still want to.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Klasse = about 85-90% of Zaino shine for about 1/2 the time.

No doubt Zaino looks the best, but Klasse has been around for years and has a great track record. It's super easy to use , durable (4-6 mo's depending on your own particular environment), offers excellent, but not Zaino, results.

IMO Zaino is for people who show their cars, or simply have the time and desire to expend detailing their vehicles.

Klasse is cheap when compared to Zaino (AIO and SG can both be had for about $40). Zaino is like a freaking chemistry set (I honestly believe that's one of things that makes it soo appealing some people).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

klasse is much simpler and easier to use,

I klasse'd both my cars in the time it took a friend to zaino his boxster
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Honestly, I don't think Zaino is that much harder or time consuming.

With Klasse, you have two steps; AIO then SG. Both need to be applied and removed before the other is applied. Some people let SG dry (for 30-60 minutes) before removing it (though I would NOT advise doing this).

With Zaino, you have to make sure the surface is free of any oil and filler before applying it. This can be done with a simple IPA wipe down (should take no more than 10 minutes for the whole car). After that Zaino is also two steps, Z1 then Z2 applied directly over top, then remove both together after they have dried (usually 30 minute wait).

I really don't see a big diff. I think a lot of it has to do with people's perception as well as a uneudcated user base. Most people think that ZFX is required (it's not - use Z1 instead), and they need to layer multiple coats (they don't).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's that FIRST day with Zaino that separates the men from the boys After that, wash with Z7, wipe down with Z6 or Z8. The wipe down is bottle in one hand, applicator pad and MF towel in the other. Spray the pad, wipe it on a section, swap with the Mf towel to wipe dry. I think it adds maybe 10 minutes to the end of a wash cycle.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #13
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede
It's that FIRST day with Zaino that separates the men from the boys After that, wash with Z7, wipe down with Z6 or Z8. The wipe down is bottle in one hand, applicator pad and MF towel in the other. Spray the pad, wipe it on a section, swap with the Mf towel to wipe dry. I think it adds maybe 10 minutes to the end of a wash cycle.

It's true. After a wash with Z7, I rub on some Z8 just with a MF cloth and in 10 minutes, the shine will blind you.

Also, this stuff repels dust in a big way!
      01-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #14
BMWally
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2004 545i, 2006 330i

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede

What should us women do? When we don't a) have the arms of a manly man, to wax coats and coats and b) clueless (but learning) on detailing a car?

EDIT: As some of you may know, I've replaced the darn E60 with an e90, and not a single bit of regret. I love this car like no tomorrow! I got tinting installed (madco-dealer threw it in) and clear bra (venture by aerotect). How do I post pictures?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #15
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, that's a lot good responses there. Looks like a lot of people prefer Zaino. I'll give this stuff a try. So this is what I've got to do for the first time:
1. wash car (okay to use regular car washing soap?)
2. thin coat of Z-1 (1 ounce or less)--don't wipe off
3. thin coat of Z-2 Pro/ZFX blend (1:1 mixture?, 1 ounce), let dry for 15 minutes, then wipe off
4. (optional) spray some Z-6 or Z-8 for extra gloss

Then, every 6 months:
1. wash car
2. Z-2 Pro only
3. (optional) spray some Z-6 or Z-8 for extra gloss

Do I have this right, especially the part about the 1:1 mixture? And where can you get this stuff? Pep Boys or a regular auto parts store, or somewhere special. I don't think I've seen it.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

both zaino and klasse require MUCH less elbow grease than old fashioned wax

Klasse may be a bit less intimidating with less steps and ingredient mixing compared to zaino.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
cosmosblau
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplacian
Wow, that's a lot good responses there. Looks like a lot of people prefer Zaino. I'll give this stuff a try. So this is what I've got to do for the first time:
1. wash car (okay to use regular car washing soap?)
2. thin coat of Z-1 (1 ounce or less)--don't wipe off
3. thin coat of Z-2 Pro/ZFX blend (1:1 mixture?, 1 ounce), let dry for 15 minutes, then wipe off
4. (optional) spray some Z-6 or Z-8 for extra gloss

Then, every 6 months:
1. wash car
2. Z-2 Pro only
3. (optional) spray some Z-6 or Z-8 for extra gloss

Do I have this right, especially the part about the 1:1 mixture? And where can you get this stuff? Pep Boys or a regular auto parts store, or somewhere special. I don't think I've seen it.
ZFX is an activator that makes the Z-2 "cure" faster- you only put 4 drops into a mixing container with an ounce of Z-2. If you use ZFX , Z-1 isn't necessary. Use Z-6 or Z-8 between coats of ZFX/ Z2, and after each wash. It sounds complicated, but it's not. Pep Boys doesn't have it (they don't really have anything I'd put in or on my car, IMO).
You can get it, as well as all the directions on how to use it on the www.zainostore.com site. It's all expensive, but worth it.

I'm not selling the stuff- I really just believe in their products.
      01-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #18
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosblau
ZFX is an activator that makes the Z-2 "cure" faster- you only put 4 drops into a mixing container with an ounce of Z-2. If you use ZFX , Z-1 isn't necessary. Use Z-6 or Z-8 between coats of ZFX/ Z2, and after each wash. It sounds complicated, but it's not. Pep Boys doesn't have it (they don't really have anything I'd put in or on my car, IMO).
You can get it, as well as all the directions on how to use it on the www.zainostore.com site. It's all expensive, but worth it.

I'm not selling the stuff- I really just believe in their products.
Well, if that shine in your car is from Zaino, then I'm sold!

So what's better to use: ZFX mixed with Z-2 on the initial application, or just use Z-1 prior to Z-2 application? Using the ZFX just seems easier. And what do they mean by "initial application"? I'm assuming they're referring to the first coat that you're applying that day, not just the first coat ever that you put on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #19
qwert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i - Monaco Blue, Gray int.

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
How long would a bottle of the Z-1 and Z-2 last?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #20
Laplacian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert
How long would a bottle of the Z-1 and Z-2 last?
According to their website they should last 8 or more applications at least.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #21
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

See my Zaino application article in the Detailing 101 sticky thread. It answers all of your Zaino questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 09:11 PM   #22
cosmosblau
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laplacian
Well, if that shine in your car is from Zaino, then I'm sold!

So what's better to use: ZFX mixed with Z-2 on the initial application, or just use Z-1 prior to Z-2 application? Using the ZFX just seems easier. And what do they mean by "initial application"? I'm assuming they're referring to the first coat that you're applying that day, not just the first coat ever that you put on the car.
I wouldn't bother with Z-1 unless 10 bucks is a big deal to you. ZFX is the replacement / upgrade for Z-1. Why put a whole coat of Z-1 on your car when you can just add a few drops of ZFX to your Z-2? Unless you have extra time and want to build up your arm strength, I'd spring for the ZFX.