E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Clearcoat scracthes after removing bird crap

01-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Clearcoat scracthes after removing bird crap

I was away for Christmas and my car was pretty dusty so one night I gave it a hose down ... it was a bit dark at the time. Anyway, while washing I removed some bird crap by rubbing it off with a wet shammy cloth. The crap came off, but the next day, in the light, I noticed that I had blemished the clear coat.

My car is black so even the most minor scratches on the clear coat stick out like dogs balls ...

I am guessing that normal wax can remove this ?

Any suggestions please
      01-17-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Cotton cloths scratch. Try using a microfiber wash mitt and cloths.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
meruyailir
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0

removing scratches

No, wax cannot remove it. It can make it less visible, but cannot really remove it. To remove it, you need to use abrasive products, start with the least abrasive one. I myself use POORBOYS SSR1 to remove minor scratches and swirls, if they really bother me. But most of the time, I just let minor swirl stay because there's no way you can completely avoid them on your car.

Yes, the best way to clean your car is to use microfiber with lots of water. Even that will still create minor swirls. It's part of life. I usually use POORBOYS spray waterless wipe to remove dirt like bird dropping. Do it gently with microfiber.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa
I was away for Christmas and my car was pretty dusty so one night I gave it a hose down ... it was a bit dark at the time. Anyway, while washing I removed some bird crap by rubbing it off with a wet shammy cloth. The crap came off, but the next day, in the light, I noticed that I had blemished the clear coat.

My car is black so even the most minor scratches on the clear coat stick out like dogs balls ...

I am guessing that normal wax can remove this ?

Any suggestions please
Don't ever spray your car down with water than wipe it off with a towel. Use CAR WASH SOAP! Soap will provide lubrication as well as help to lift contaminants safely while minimizing the chance for surface marring. Use a high quality sheepskin wash mitt and waffle weave MF towels to dry.

As for remvoing the scratches, good luck doing it by hand. You'll need PC, good pads, and a good polish.

See Detailing 101 stickied at the top for more info on how to wash and dry as well as remove scratches.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 02:53 AM   #5
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Thanks for your help & tips guys