E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Jet Black - hard to keep good

01-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Jet Black - hard to keep good

Does anybody have a jet black car without any small swirl marks or scratches? Mine is only two weeks old and after couple VERY gentle hand wash some marks are visible on a sunny day. Also it is quite strange that inside the garage there are some marks in paint but outside even in direct sun light it is impossible to see these. Better this of course than other way around.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
movingpictures
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i TiAg MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Not me....welcome to the world of jet black

'06 E90 330i TiAg, Black Leather, Manual, ZPP, ZSP, Fold Down Seats
Placed Order 11/26/05
On Order 11/29/05
Scheduled for Production 12/21/05 - completed 01/04/06
Awaiting Transport 01/07/06
En Route 01/09/06 "Courage" arrived 02/07/06
At Preparation Center 02/08/06 release to carrier 02/08/06
Arrived 02/10/06
Delivered 02/10/06
Hüper Ceramic 30 02/16/06

Spouse - '06 E90 325i Jet Black, Black Leather, Auto, ZPP, NAV
'96 E36 318i Sedan, Bright Red, Tan Leatherette, Auto "Sold"
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i'm pretty sure the marks and scratches are there for any color, it's just best seen on jet black sorry man!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
mikenuts
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

hhaha get used to it...they add character
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
jcoo085
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
This is my first black car and the work required to keep it looking good is just astounding. I've had reds, greens, greys, and blues (all metallic) and I think for this reason I won't be getting another car in black. However, I think black is one of the classiest colours available for a BMW.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

That's why I prefer the saph. black. The metallic aspect hides minor scratches.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

You need to be very careful when washing and drying. Washing and drying are the #1 cause of swirl marks.

See my detailing 101 article stickied at the top of the forum for proper wash and dry technique.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
You need to be very careful when washing and drying. Washing and drying are the #1 cause of swirl marks.

See my detailing 101 article stickied at the top of the forum for proper wash and dry technique.
I'm sure I do everything extremely carefully but it seems that if I only breath to the same direction where the car is it'll get scratches. Well, I knew that jet black is difficult but I couldn't imagine it is this difficult.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #9
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

Welcome to the club!

Yeah, it takes a lot of effort to keep it clean but at the same time its extremely rewarding, IMO.

A proper wax/detailing every 5-6 weeks during winter is enough. I use Autoglym products and I'm really happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Does anybody have a jet black car without any small swirl marks or scratches? Mine is only two weeks old and after couple VERY gentle hand wash some marks are visible on a sunny day. Also it is quite strange that inside the garage there are some marks in paint but outside even in direct sun light it is impossible to see these. Better this of course than other way around.
I got my car a week ago and even coming from the dealer I noticed slight swirl marks (I got sapphire black). There are products that can help cover those up. I bought a Zaino package that comes with Z-5, which is specifically made for filling in those tiny scratches in the clear coat.

I haven't washed my car yet but you do need to be very careful on how you do it. Like someone else said, read the sticky post in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure I do everything extremely carefully but it seems that if I only breath to the same direction where the car is it'll get scratches. Well, I knew that jet black is difficult but I couldn't imagine it is this difficult.
Can you outline your wash and dry process for me? Maybe I can spot some areas of improvement for you?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #12
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

get use to it..........
      01-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #13
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

I have jet black and i have swirls too. I first rinse the car then spray out the bucket to make sure there is no dirt from the last wash remaining. next fill the bucket up with car wash liquid and water and wash it with my hand mitten. After washing the body i then use a sponge to get the tires and rims. nest i rinse the car and rims/ tires off and use this sort of microfiber towel to dry the car. Then wipe down the interior and use a regulat towel for the tires. This still leaves swirl marks on my car, and i am trying to find out what can i do to have it looking new.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 02:00 AM   #14
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
Can you outline your wash and dry process for me? Maybe I can spot some areas of improvement for you?
I use two new sponges every time I wash the car. First I rinse it wtih garden hose using lots of water. Then I take pressure cleaner to take off the more stubborn dirt. Then I first wash it with sponge without any detergent. I always have a garden hose in my other hand and I use plenty of water when doing this first wash. Then I wash the car with another sponge and Autoglym shampoo. After washing I rinse the car carefully and dry it with synthetic chammy.

I don't mind the hard work of keeping the car clean but I am quite concerned how easily it gets swirl marks from hand wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #15
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
Welcome to the club!

Yeah, it takes a lot of effort to keep it clean but at the same time its extremely rewarding, IMO.

A proper wax/detailing every 5-6 weeks during winter is enough. I use Autoglym products and I'm really happy with the results.
Have you tried the new Autoglym wax (I don't remember the name) which is meant to use for dark colors?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 05:03 AM   #16
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

Quote:
Have you tried the new Autoglym wax (I don't remember the name) which is meant to use for dark colors?
Ultra Deep Shine (black label). I've been using it from the beginning. It's great, doesn't need much work IMO.

- It's good to start with the Super Resin Polish (red label) if you've got lots of small swirl marks. I add more layers on the deeper scratches, if needed.
- Then apply the UDS and finally Extra Gloss Protection (gold label), for the ultimate finish.

Small swirl marks are unavoidable, but they only appear under bright garage lighting.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #17
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
Ultra Deep Shine (black label). I've been using it from the beginning. It's great, doesn't need much work IMO.

- It's good to start with the Super Resin Polish (red label) if you've got lots of small swirl marks. I add more layers on the deeper scratches, if needed.
- Then apply the UDS and finally Extra Gloss Protection (gold label), for the ultimate finish.

Small swirl marks are unavoidable, but they only appear under bright garage lighting.
Thanks for the info! I'll try next Black Label .

I think I just have to get used to these small marks which are visible under bright lamps or sun. After all it is a car and meant for driving not a piece of furniture.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #18
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

I have no swirls, but I have two random scratches.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #19
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I use two new sponges every time I wash the car. First I rinse it wtih garden hose using lots of water. Then I take pressure cleaner to take off the more stubborn dirt. Then I first wash it with sponge without any detergent. I always have a garden hose in my other hand and I use plenty of water when doing this first wash. Then I wash the car with another sponge and Autoglym shampoo. After washing I rinse the car carefully and dry it with synthetic chammy.

I don't mind the hard work of keeping the car clean but I am quite concerned how easily it gets swirl marks from hand wash.
Oh my!!!

It's no wonder you have swirl marks!

First and foremost, forget the pressure wash. Depending on the amount of pressure, you may actually be pushing dirt into your clearcoat.

Next, do not use a sponge to wash. Get yourself a two sheep skin wash mitts. These mits are soft and they have a deep knap that will pull in dirt away from the paint as you glide it over. Sponges have no knap. Any dirt that gets trapped will just rub against the paint, effectively turing your sponge into sand paper. Use one mitt for every part of the car above the middle of the door, and the other for every part below the middle of the door. Start washing from the roof and work your way down, doing all horizontal panels first. Also keep another bucket of clean water on hand. Dunk the mitt into this bucket between cleaning each panel to remove any trapped dirt. Always wash wheels and wheel wells first with their own dedicated wash mitt, then wash the rest of the car after.

Next, do not ever wash your car with just water. Always use car wash soap. Car wash soap will provide lubricity that will help the mitt glide over the paint as well as dissolve and remove dirt safely and effectively.

Your drying routine is ok, except do not use a synthetic shammy. They are not as gentle as a large Waffle Weave Microfiber towels (which I recommend).

I have my own washing guide in Detailing 101 with more tips. Seriously, give it a read. If you want to keep your car looking nice, then read the whole 101. It is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #20
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
I have jet black and i have swirls too. I first rinse the car then spray out the bucket to make sure there is no dirt from the last wash remaining. next fill the bucket up with car wash liquid and water and wash it with my hand mitten. After washing the body i then use a sponge to get the tires and rims. nest i rinse the car and rims/ tires off and use this sort of microfiber towel to dry the car. Then wipe down the interior and use a regulat towel for the tires. This still leaves swirl marks on my car, and i am trying to find out what can i do to have it looking new.
See detailing 101 stickied at the top.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #21
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
DavidN, what do you think of using Microfiber deep pile (loops) wash mits instead of sheepskin? I bought a fivepack of these at Costco the other day, and they seem pretty darn soft.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #22
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
DavidN, what do you think of using Microfiber deep pile (loops) wash mits instead of sheepskin? I bought a fivepack of these at Costco the other day, and they seem pretty darn soft.
The MF mitts I tested did not have a knap as deep as the sheepskin mitts I usually use. After testing them, I concluded that they did cause some marring. Another reason I would stay away from the mitts you boight is because they are from Costco. Costco MF has been known to have hit and miss quality. Some towels are ok, whiule other scratch. Most people who buy constco MF use them for interior or engine work.
Appreciate 0