E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Allow the dealer to detail or no?

01-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
TeacherDK
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '06 325i

Allow the dealer to detail or no?

Hello all,

I've had the pleasure of working with a great dealership in Southern CA and will be taking ownership of my "Jet Black" in about two weeks. I've been reading about everything I should get in regards to wash/wax products, window tinting, and so on, but I'm curious if I should allow the dealer to detail my car. I completely trust the dealership and manager there, but I've read a couple posts that mention how dealer prep can leave swirl marks on your car (especially on a black car). Scratches and swirl marks are NEVER a good thing.

I was hoping to get some advice on what I should allow the dealer to do, and what I should do myself, in terms of the initial washing and waxing of the car. All of your comments are much appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I notified the dealer that I do not want the holes drilled for the front plate. I'll run the risk of getting a ticket, of course, but it looks so clean without it!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Depends how much you really TRUST the dealership. Odds are they will put some swirls in the paint just because they will be in a rush to get it preped. If you are really OCD and are going to take in home a detail it yourself, I would tell them not to touch it.

There is a huge amount of info in the Wash/Wax part of this board as to the proper way to wash, wax, care for your car.. Take a look there. If you really want more info than you'll know what to do with, check out autopia (autopia.org).

Good luck with the black!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
I was apprehensive when I took delivery but did let the dealer detail the car. When I took delivery, I inspected it very closely and didn't see an swirl marks and actually did an excellent job. They also apply a very thin layer of commercial wax that doesn't last long.
      01-28-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
BMWE90LOVER
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

I trust my dealership, just not the morons who wash the cars. If you go to your dealership and look at the new cars on the lot, you may notice how they all have swirl marks on the from the idiots they hire to wash the cars. I dont know if your dealer will do it themselves or pay a detailer to do it. Personally, I would spend one day of the weekend and do it myself, it will take you all day. That has always worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #5
sc325i
Rep
Drives: '06 325I Monoco Blue / Grey

Picking up my 325I this Thursday at the BMW performance center!! For those who have picked up their cars there what has been your experience with swirl marks and the overall prep of the car? Thanks for your response. Looking forward to Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc325i
Picking up my 325I this Thursday at the BMW performance center!! For those who have picked up their cars there what has been your experience with swirl marks and the overall prep of the car? Thanks for your response. Looking forward to Thursday.
Ive order an E90, and it should be in by fall. I am going to do the performance center delivery. Can you take pictures, or write about your experience. I can't find a good info about what actually happens during the delivery. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

I did not let my dealer detail my car. The following day I washed it and applied Klasse AIO. I do not trust them. They use a brush to wash the cars in for service, same would apply at delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

My brother took delivery of his '05 M3 at the PC. A few swirls here and there. There was some etching in the paint from bird poop and or acid rain. PCD vehicles sit outside until the actual delivery date. The day prior to your arrival the vehicle is washed and put inside the PC after the deliveries for that day have been made.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
sc325i
Rep

England...I understand where your coming from. I too have been looking around the forum for good info on the ENTIRE PC delivery process but have not found alot. It would be nice to have a sticky under the "New car ordering and Tracking Information" forum. I will try to do a write up and pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #10
sc325i
Rep

SCA thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like it should be too bad. I am planning on doing a full detail Thursday evening when I get home.

wash
clay
prewax cleaner
polish/wax
etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SCA thanks for the info. Doesn't sound like it should be too bad. I am planning on doing a full detail Thursday evening when I get home.

wash
clay
prewax cleaner
polish/wax
etc.

I would have done PCD, but being that it is winter there is a lot of small garvel and sand on I-40 in the Mtns of NC/TN.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #12
sc325i
Rep

I am blessed to be about 10 miles from the BMW factory and performance center. I drove by yesterday hoping to get a glimpse of my new car but no luck...

I do not blame you for wanting to drive thru that mess. No need to mess up your car the first day!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am blessed to be about 10 miles from the BMW factory and performance center. I drove by yesterday hoping to get a glimpse of my new car but no luck...

I do not blame you for wanting to drive thru that mess. No need to mess up your car the first day!

I used to live 10-15 miles from the factory. It's been 11 years. The Zentrum used to just house a few cars and nothing else. It was not even open to the public, but some how I was able to wonder around it one Sunday afternoon. There wasn't a sole in there.

If you car has already hit the port and been railed to Greer, it is behind the factory. No chance of seeing it there, but once the VPC gets it cleaned up they may take it over to the PC. Check the main parking lot to the left of the building.
Appreciate 0