E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BQ Tuning by WedgePerformance - Announcement

10-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #67
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
Ken, any reason to go with the v3 as opposed to the v2 other than being able to see multiple logging parameters at once? I want to try out some true flashing as opposed to my JB4 G5 iso but don't want to bite the bullet for an expensive v3 when the v2 can do just that...Not to mention BuraQ scared me a bit when he went into detail about how the JB4 is communicating to the auto trans...
Shoot me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #68
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
I'm definitely interested in a tune by you guys. Pm me please with some details.
I can't solicit you via PM, but you can request information through a PM. So send me a PM with your request for information please.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #69
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4-335 View Post
Don't worry about your trans with the JB4, it'll be fine. That's what they like to tell you as a selling point. I have a N54 DCT running at similar power levels as BuraQ and the trans shifts fast and strong.
Torque Effective Divisor which is Lambda based helps calculates torque levels that are communicated to the transmission. As you get richer, the value drops because the load increase and so does the table value that is used to calculate torque like it should.

When you stack, most tuners will turn to a lower load request to help prevent flat line timing. Due to low load maps, the torque values that are calculated are not accurate and the transmission doesn't increase line pressure which in turn cause shift failure and glazed clutch disks.

This can be offset by increasing the Torque effective divisor, but your just guessing. As the JB4 doesn't log load or torque. Does it work, yes. Is it safe, you decide.

Also, do you have a dyno and logs you can share with everyone? There is a big difference between 470 wtq and 530 wtq... You can help sell your point by showing everyone you're making the same power as @BuraQ.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #70
ABE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Interesting. If that's the case, perhaps the Level 10 upgrade for 6AT shall be sufficient so long as the users are on flash tune instead of piggyback. The actual torque value should increase the line pressure accordingly and with the level 10 beefed up 6AT hardware, the upgrade should work. As such, we don't need to crack the 6AT TCU. Is that right?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #71
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE92 View Post
Interesting. If that's the case, perhaps the Level 10 upgrade for 6AT shall be sufficient so long as the users are on flash tune instead of piggyback. The actual torque value should increase the line pressure accordingly and with the level 10 beefed up 6AT hardware, the upgrade should work. As such, we don't need to crack the 6AT TCU. Is that right?
We had a local single turbo started to slip on his 6AT around 560ish wtq, he got rid of the piggy and went straight flash tuning and was able to get another 637wtq final before the tranny started slipping again.

Damage was done early so there was no cure for that. If there was no predammage he may have made it to 700 wtq on stock transmission
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #72
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
If its operating on a "closed loop" system like the N54 then yes.
Well Wedge does it you had the procede for a fair amount of time?
      10-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #73
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
I wish Haltech would have stayed in the game. We would probably have a stand alone plug n play ECU by now if this platform wasn't so cheap.
Do agree on this, but unfortunately there is no standalone EMS that offers OEM integration for Direct Injection motors -- Even Haltech offers a standalone module for FRS/BRZ turbo kits, but it requires the base tune be installed through ECUtek. ProEFI was looking into DI support but the cost for the software is real expensive, and Motec has something with the M1, but it doesn't offer OEM-CAN integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
Ken, any reason to go with the v3 as opposed to the v2 other than being able to see multiple logging parameters at once?
They do the exact same thing, only difference is with the v2 you won't be able to live monitor as many channels as you could with a v3.

But if you're taking logs and open them in Excel/Datazap, you'll get the same information.

Quote:
Don't worry about your trans with the JB4, it'll be fine. That's what they like to tell you as a selling point. I have a N54 DCT running at similar power levels as BuraQ and the trans shifts fast and strong.
Wrong; like others have said when you use a piggy (stacked or independent) you send the trans false TQ-values, which can cause premature trans slip/failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABE92 View Post
As such, we don't need to crack the 6AT TCU. Is that right?
Wrong; unfortunately it seems that one you go north of 600 WTQ (cause TQ kills trans/clutches), you're on borrowed time. You can throw the best parts in there, but if you can't adjust the TCM it's going to kill the parts, and the only trans "upgrade" flash available is the Alpina TCM.

Results >
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #74
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
Well Wedge does it you had the procede for a fair amount of time?
If you haven't experienced slippage yet you have nothing to worry about. If you have experienced slippage or transmission error codes then you have something to worry about......IMO

Simple remedy is go flash of back off of the torque
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #75
illrider
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Will you still be providing donation tunes as you were previously for backend flashes with JB4? Or is your plan to only do COBB flashes now?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #76
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
If you haven't experienced slippage yet you have nothing to worry about. If you have experienced slippage or transmission error codes then you have something to worry about......IMO

Simple remedy is go flash of back off of the torque
Been running the procede at 23 psi e85 Thanks to (3000gt aka chris)and tranny has been fine i do have the custom trans coolers though that might be helping. So going with cobb only or cobb and flash. With a single wasnt that member having to use a MBC, how safe is that?
      10-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #77
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So the key factor is the tune. I agree you can stack as long as the tune is feeding the correct information to the TCM with regard to torque requirements. For me, when I finally got to the torque levels that do cause issues with the AT, I ran high load flashes which calculated torque at a higher level. I'm assuming this is the situation or the torque divisor was increased to compensate, otherwise you wouldn't be able to shift into 4th or 5th gear.

Regardless of the situation.. or the tune you decide to run. One big advantage we have over everyone else is we can replace our transmission for $1500 installed today due to the fact their are hundreds of ATs sitting in salvage centers all over North America. For others around the world, well... shipping is a bit high.

Quote:
Been running the procede at 23 psi e85 Thanks to (3000gt aka chris)and tranny has been fine i do have the custom trans coolers though that might be helping. So going with cobb only or cobb and flash. With a single wasnt that member having to use a MBC, how safe is that?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #78
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
So going with cobb only or cobb and flash. With a single wasnt that member having to use a MBC, how safe is that?
The MBC is strictly controlling the boost target; it doesn't alter the flash tune and the TQ values the DME/TCU is seeing

Results >
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #79
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by illrider View Post
Will you still be providing donation tunes as you were previously for backend flashes with JB4? Or is your plan to only do COBB flashes now?
The thing I have to look at and you have to remember is my time is very limited. I would love to say yes, but I can't. I'm setting a fix price on stack flashing as it will keep the fisherman from busting down my door. If you want to make power and you're not happy with the free flash you have online, then get ready to pay. If you want more information regarding price send me a PM.

Remember, every car is different. You'll find people who will argue my flash doesn't work, and you'll have people tell you they ran 11.7's all day long and when they switch to my flash they ran 11.5's... A lot of factors play into how well your car performs. I can't control that, but I can make corrections to the flash for your specific car which you won't get from the free flash and that is value add for buying a custom flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #80
fmonteiro444
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
The thing I have to look at and you have to remember is my time is very limited. I would love to say yes, but I can't. I'm setting a fix price on stack flashing as it will keep the fisherman from busting down my door. If you want to make power and you're not happy with the free flash you have online, then get ready to pay. If you want more information regarding price send me a PM.

Remember, every car is different. You'll find people who will argue my flash doesn't work, and you'll have people tell you they ran 11.7's all day long and when they switch to my flash they ran 11.5's... A lot of factors play into how well your car performs. I can't control that, but I can make corrections to the flash for your specific car which you won't get from the free flash and that is value add for buying a custom flash.
I think you've given more than enough away for free. You've been a huge contributor to this community.

23 M3 Competition - Stock
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #81
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Torque Effective Divisor which is Lambda based helps calculates torque levels that are communicated to the transmission. As you get richer, the value drops because the load increase and so does the table value that is used to calculate torque like it should.

When you stack, most tuners will turn to a lower load request to help prevent flat line timing. Due to low load maps, the torque values that are calculated are not accurate and the transmission doesn't increase line pressure which in turn cause shift failure and glazed clutch disks.

This can be offset by increasing the Torque effective divisor, but your just guessing. As the JB4 doesn't log load or torque. Does it work, yes. Is it safe, you decide.

Also, do you have a dyno and logs you can share with everyone? There is a big difference between 470 wtq and 530 wtq... You can help sell your point by showing everyone you're making the same power as @BuraQ.
My car traps consistant 118mph and occasionally 119mph on crappy 19" wheels and that was before I ran it as aggressive as my current tune.

I have my Torque Eff Divisor set accordingly to my current E50 + meth setup. I run my own backend flash and run higher load values than the standard ones available. I have adjusted most of the torque tables in ATR to allow the car to have the correct signal/values transferred to the DCT's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost View Post
Wrong; like others have said when you use a piggy (stacked or independent) you send the trans false TQ-values, which can cause premature trans slip/failure.
Looks as though everyone is wrong in your books. Read above.

Last edited by JB4-335; 10-22-2014 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #82
nyt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
My car traps consistant 118mph and occasionally 119mph on crappy 19" wheels and that was before I ran it as aggressive as my current tune.

I have my Torque Eff Divisor set accordingly to my current E50 + meth setup. I run my own backend flash and run higher load values than the standard ones available. I have adjusted most of the torque tables in ATR to allow the car to have the correct signal/values transferred to the DCT's.

Looks as though everyone is wrong in your books. Read above.
Would you mind sharing the values you're using and the calculations you used to come to them? It would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #83
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmonteiro444 View Post
I think you've given more than enough away for free. You've been a huge contributor to this community.
+1
      10-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #84
WedgePerformance
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

So you're running a modified COBB OTS. Cool. At least you have the Torque Eff Divisor already increase by the COBB OTS. If you ever change your mind, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #85
deltalima0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

Ken got me from 11.8s to 11.6's on my stock turbos. I was stacking with JB4 G5 and his flash. I still like the JB4 though Ken I will try the Cobb out with you though because I said I would give it another shot But it never worked for me before even with a ProTune form PTF, the JB4 fixed my issues with Cobb. But if Cobb can dial in my RBs better Im down.

N54 World Record ET: 10.721 | Best MPH 130.92
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #86
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

So far very impressed....results/time slips coming
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #87
SUHleen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is

I have a 335is that I may be going single turbo. Will you guys be able do something for that as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 10:24 AM   #88
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Is it considered abusing the DCT going WOT in manual mode without sport engaged????
Appreciate 0