E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Anyone use Meguiars NXT Tech Wax.

09-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

Anyone use Meguiars NXT Tech Wax.

If you have...... your impressions??

Much appreciated and Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

One of the best Over The Counter protective products out IMO. Very easy to use as it comes right on off in comparison to other OTC products. Good slickness and shine, poor durability for a sealant though (only expect a couple of months). With such ease of use - you won't mind applying every other month though.
Still formulated for OTC market use, so if you're hardcore into your car and have it clayed and decently prepped, you'll likely benefit more from a nice but more expensive sealant like Blackfire, PowerLock, JetSeal, Zaino, etc - as these can properly layer and will provide better durability.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
the_doctor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 335xi 6MT

Yep it's good as long as you don't mind re-applying it every so often. (i.e. depends if your car is garaged or not. From personal experience, if your car is garaged, the stuff easily lasts about 3 months. If you park outside all the time, then no more than 1.5 months. This is Canadian weather though, so pretty severe ...)

I've always used this Meguiar's sealant simply b/c it's easy to obtain, i.e. I can run to the nearest Wal-Mart. I used it on my old Subaru Impreza (crystal grey metallic) and for a few months on my 335 (alpine white). I applied it once every 1-2 months during the summer, once in November, and once in early March for the winter season. The overall effect is pretty good too; can cover-up minor surface imperfections. You can either apply by hand or machine. And it dries / hazes really quickly and it's really easy to remove. You can make it last longer if you spray their "Quick Wax" after you wash your car each time.

However, most recently, I applied NXT on my alpine white 335i in early to mid August. I didn't wash my car for the past 3 weeks because I was really busy. (I regularly wash it once a week topped with Quick Wax - the car would look like it's just been waxed and my car gets regular compliments from people for being squeaky clean.) When I finally got around to washing it 2 days ago, I noticed there were some minor black marks etched to the paint near the rocker panel area that did not come off by a simple wash (not your regular black marks from water drain holes). Maybe it's because my car is alpine white, so these things easily show. I don't know whether this is because the sealant didn't do its job properly or something just splattered on my car from the road that would etch on white paint regardless. They did eventually come off though; I just used some Meguiars M205 since clay didn't work either. And now I switched to Dodo Juice Supernatural just because I wanted to try something "fancier", so we'll see what happens! =)

So in summary, if you're looking for an economical and easily accessible product that is really easy to use, safe, and produces pretty good results, then I would go for it.

Anyway, just my 2 cents ... I'm not a pro by any means!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

i use it works great imo
      09-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Great review by The Doctor
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
If you have...... your impressions??

Much appreciated and Thank you.
I have used this for 2 years and have been happy with the results. This past week, I got the bug to take it to the next step and bought a Porter Cable polisher, and Meguiars sealant that is the bulk version of the NXT wax as well as the synthetic quick detailer that is made to work with the NXT wax. I bought it all at a local detail supply store that also sells online. It appears they cater to professional detailers, but the guys there are great and made me feel welcome even though I am not a detailer by trade.

The polisher I bought is: http://www.detailing.com/store/porte...-polisher.html

The "wax" I bought is: http://www.detailing.com/store/megui...-2-0-64oz.html

The quick detailer that works best with that wax is: http://www.detailing.com/store/megui...iler-1gal.html

And for waterless washing between regular washes, I bought: http://www.detailing.com/store/megui...ler-1-gal.html

At $15/Gallon I will never buy quick detailer in the stores again.

I did my wax job last night and will say I regret not buying the Porter Cable power tool prior. It makes the other big bonnet buffer thing I have look like a joke and made the job go fast and easy. What I learned is to use less wax, let the polisher work the wax into the paint, leaving a very light amount of wax on the car. Light wax = easy buff off the wax and you are done!

Here is a photo I just now shot with my phone.

www.melor.com/temp/IMG_0082.JPG

Paul

I have no connection to the company that I linked to. I went there because of proximity to my home and the prices are fair. It is the only place I know of around South Orange County, CA that you can walk into and buy professional grade detailing supplies - and get help and instruction as well by guys that are in the business.

PJ

Last edited by kd6lor; 09-18-2010 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all. I bought the Meguiars Smooth Surface kit in anticipation of needing it this morning before I put on the NXT. I didn't even need it. The dealership did a great job of keeping the paint completely smooth. No graininess AT ALL.

I was amazed and a bit relieved as I was a bit nervous about using the clay since I never worked with it before.

Put on the NXT and it looks great. Car is Alpine White and did it by hand. Will put another coat on tomorrow for added protection.

I plan to get the Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant and apply that after the NXT wears off before the colder winter months. I just couldn't get it in time for today since ordering online would have gotten it to me mid to late next week. Couldn't find it OTC anywhere in Central NJ. I felt compelled to get something on there immediately and didn't want to wait another week. Just got the car on Wed and the dealership keeps all its cars indoors (new building) so that must explain the flawless finish.

What are your thoughts on Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant????
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Put on the NXT and it looks great. Car is Alpine White and did it by hand. Will put another coat on tomorrow for added protection.

What are your thoughts on Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant????
Johnny, don't put on another coat. I spoke to Meguiars about a second coat as I was going to do the same with my car. With NXT & #21 the only reason to put on a second coat is if you applied the first one unevenly or missed a spot. NXT and #21 are essentially the same. #21 is designed to be applied with a machine and NXT by hand.

Another thing I learned. Try to keep the car dry, don't use any quick detailer until the "wax" sets for at least 12 hours. ( that includes a second coat if you are so inclined... )

btw, you are fortunate. My BMW had dirty paint and needed clay. In fact the only cars I have bought that were pretty clean were my wifes GL550 and my daughter's VW Beatle convertible.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great info and thanks for looking into it and sharing.

I definitely would have put on another coat but now I won't. Is #21 really the same as NXT??

Yes, I was very fortunate with the condition of the paint. Smooth as glass. I just used a little NuFinish along the bottom of the doors to get off a little grime and then NXT'd it.

I had the Meguiars clay kit so I used it on the front hood of my Black 2007 Honda Pilot about an hour ago. I can't believe the difference it made. Incredible. Doing the whole truck will be a real pain though. I'll save it for when I'm really feeling energetic. I cut the lawn in between working on cars. Off to my sons hockey game now - too bad the sticks have to go in the back seat of the 328i - don't have the split fold down - would have gotten the new 328i but didn't feel spending $10k more was anywhere near worth it.

Thanks for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Couldn't help myself. NXT'd it again today after washing.

Looks phenomenal!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't help myself. NXT'd it again today after washing.

Looks phenomenal!!!
That's funny. I just got in from washing the car. It didn't need it, but I wanted to see how well the water beaded. Nicely... All I can say is that it is nice and easy to wash when it's already clean...

Have a good week.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep

Looking clean and shiny! Good work.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E92 Msport

Is there a difference between this and the NXT 2.0? Or is it the same product, just new revision? Car looks great btw.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I've used it a couple of times but wasn't too keen on it. Water was still beading on it after about a month, so the protection lasts a good while for wax. I have a couple of complaints though:

- After removing the wax, I noticed some spots had a shadowy or hazy appearance. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's pretty noticeable since I have black sapphire paint. I waited 20-30 minutes for it to dry, so I'm not sure what it was.

- I got some of it on some of the trim (door handles, rubber on the A-pillar, etc.) and around the cracks of the tow hook cover and the bumper and it is a pain in the a$$ to remove. It's like trying to remove cement.

I've since moved on to blackfire wet diamond, and that is a dream to remove. There is no need for heavy buffing, it just comes right off.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #16
CRT3
i eat disco for breakfast
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan View Post
I've used it a couple of times but wasn't too keen on it. Water was still beading on it after about a month, so the protection lasts a good while for wax. I have a couple of complaints though:

- After removing the wax, I noticed some spots had a shadowy or hazy appearance. I'm not really sure how to describe it. It's pretty noticeable since I have black sapphire paint. I waited 20-30 minutes for it to dry, so I'm not sure what it was.

- I got some of it on some of the trim (door handles, rubber on the A-pillar, etc.) and around the cracks of the tow hook cover and the bumper and it is a pain in the a$$ to remove. It's like trying to remove cement.

I've since moved on to blackfire wet diamond, and that is a dream to remove. There is no need for heavy buffing, it just comes right off.
i believe your problem is that you are applying too much of the product. less is better. results are great!

SAPHIRE BLACK 07 E92 335I /// M-SPORT
// H&R SPRINGS // CF SPLITTERS // MATTE BLK GRILL // 19" // SUNROOF // GP THURDERS // JB+// BLACKOUT ROUNDELS
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT3 View Post
i believe your problem is that you are applying too much of the product. less is better. results are great!
Thanks for the tip. i'll give it a try in the spring since I already have a coat of BFWD on there.
Appreciate 0