E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Another overheating issue -

04-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
kernhills
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Another overheating issue -

I have a 2006 325 e90. Approx. 6 months ago the water pump sprang a leak. I replaced the water pump (that was fun btw...) and thermostat at the same time. It's been running great ever since.

Now this morning, I drove home approx 45 miles at highway speeds with no problems or service lights. I parked the car in the driveway for an hour or so and just went out to move it. I noticed as soon as it started that the yellow radiator light was on. I thought maybe I was just low on fluid, but when I moved the car, I saw the puddle. It looks like its just boiling out around the screw type breather on top of the filling reservoir. Is this a sign that the water pump went out again, or it got too hot for another reason? I know the light wasnt on when I drove home, but the engine is still very warm and its def on now. Any ideas? Thanks again!!!!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
kernhills
Rep

Per the Bentley manual, here's what I've done so far.

1. Checked operation of electric fan by putting air on high and and starting engine - Electric fan runs and air is cold.

2. Checked operation of coolant pump by turning ign on, setting heat at max, and holding down accelerator - Pump comes on and I can feel hot fluid running through the top hose.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
kernhills
Rep

Now Ive got the cover off the bottom, the car up on jack stands and running. I am feeling the hose going to the thermostat and coming out (or in) not sure, to the water pump. Theyre very flexible and it does not feel like there is any fluid running through them. Should the water pump be running constantly or only when the car gets to temp? When I did the accelerator test with the engine off, it ran fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
kernhills
Rep

Alright.... Now when that the engine warmed up, I can def feel fluid in the hosing at the pump and can feel that its hot. It also started leaking out the bleeder valve on the reservoir again. The warning light never came back on the dash this time, but possibly because I didnt let it run long enough. The bleeder valve is def the only place fluid is leaking out of the system.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
kernhills
Rep

Is it possible that just a leaking bleeder screw will shed enough fluid to cause it to show the radiator symbol?
Appreciate 0