E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension recomendations

09-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

Suspension recomendations

Looking to upgrade suspension on 08 E92 w/ ZSP. My main goal is improve driving feel of car, better turn in, less body roll, planted in high speed cornering and tighter feel in steering wheel. Ride height is not of very much concern but a little lower would be nice.

What is the best combo for handling/driver feel I can get with ~$1500?
1. Spring/shocks + sway bars
2. Springs/shocks + M3 Arms
3. KW V1 coil overs

I'm leaning towards spring/shocks but having trouble deciding between KONI yellow or Bilstien B12 shocks, both with eibach springs. I want the better handling shock. How do each of these compare to the ZSP for harshness? The ZSP is plenty compliant for myself so a little harsher would be ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDrifter View Post
Looking to upgrade suspension on 08 E92 w/ ZSP. My main goal is improve driving feel of car, better turn in, less body roll, planted in high speed cornering and tighter feel in steering wheel. Ride height is not of very much concern but a little lower would be nice.

What is the best combo for handling/driver feel I can get with ~$1500?
1. Spring/shocks + sway bars
2. Springs/shocks + M3 Arms
3. KW V1 coil overs

I'm leaning towards spring/shocks but having trouble deciding between KONI yellow or Bilstien B12 shocks, both with eibach springs. I want the better handling shock. How do each of these compare to the ZSP for harshness? The ZSP is plenty compliant for myself so a little harsher would be ok.

Yellows are excellent and rebuildable. Paired/matched with linear springs, superior.

FSD's provide good ride quality; better than stock handling; use stock springs. The inexpensive way to improved handling, maybe $1100.

Springs/shocks'll prob max your budget - M3 arms not in the equation.

Rear subframe bushings are an inexpensive fix and easy DIY. LSD not so inexpensive but a major upgrade.

Forget about rear sway until LSD install.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Yellows are excellent and rebuildable. Paired/matched with linear springs, superior.

FSD's provide good ride quality; better than stock handling; use stock springs. The inexpensive way to improved handling, maybe $1100.

Springs/shocks'll prob max your budget - M3 arms not in the equation.

Rear subframe bushings are an inexpensive fix and easy DIY. LSD not so inexpensive but a major upgrade.

Forget about rear sway until LSD install.
Good advice. As your best option, you are probably looking at Yellows and Swift springs as your best bet. To improve turn in and steering feedback, see if you can splurge on the M3 front control arms for they will vastly improve the above. Also, you will save alignment and add a little negative camber.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
CTDrifter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i

Great advice guys, thanks.

When you say paired/matched do you mean I would have the KONI's revalved to match the spring rate? Do swift springs match the KONI valveing?

$1100 for FSD, is that including labor? I will be performing all the work myself. Or are you including the $250 for the bushing kit (turnermotorsports) recommended for shock replacement, is this needed on a car with 60k?

The LSD is a sore spot with me, sometimes I think my money would be better spent there... I miss drifting...
Appreciate 0