E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Has this happened to anyone?

02-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #727
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by apme123 View Post
Congrants, I am glad its finally over.
Quoting you since youve been following this for months. Thought youd want to see the service report I posted

Last edited by Sara; 02-29-2012 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #728
beantown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

is it.... over? i expected checkered flags, champagne and fireworks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #729
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantown View Post
is it.... over? i expected checkered flags, champagne and fireworks
I have tried over and over and over to replicate the chirping noise. Its silent Im happy as can be.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #730
Squintz82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAg E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I'm approaching 60 days of chirping, 20 days out of my car, 8 different part attempts, 6 service visits, 2 dealerships, and 1 engineer
I'm gonna repost this just as a reminder. Haven't read the entire thread in detail, but I hope you've looked into the Lemon Law there. Went through a similar ordeal with BMW NA. Best of luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz82 View Post
Only read a few pages, but sounds like a terribly annoying ordeal.

FWIW, I had a Mini Cooper "lemon lawed" in NY by BMW NA, and it was such a pain. Long story short, bought a Mini Cooper for my wife and had traction control malfunctions from day 1 (traction control light went on and off by itself). Ended up being in the shop for a total of 56 days (4 separate occasions) during the first 3 months. Eventually they had to call in an engineer from Germany to completely rewire the car. After that, the problem went away and the dashboard rattled every time we hit a bump. This was unacceptable for a car with under 5k miles. After harassing Mini/BMW, they agreed to help her get into a new car, but dragged their feet for another few months.

Finally, we got fed up with the runaround and applied for Lemon Law arbitration with the state of NY. We were accepted right away, paid the $250 fee and got a court date. 1 week before the court date, BMW contacted us pleading not to go to court, and offered to buy us out of the car immediately, and to reimburse us for any inconvenience. Everything went through within the week and we got into a new car.

Bottom line is, if BMW gives you a runaround and doesn't give you what you want, start researching the Lemon Laws in Louisiana and apply for arbitration. You'll be surprised that if you're accepted, they jump to help you out right away.

Good luck Sara

**EDIT**

Just finished reading. Glad it's finally over!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #731
beantown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Quote:
I have tried over and over and over to replicate the chirping noise. Its silent Im happy as can be.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #732
wokjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Wow, I just read through all 34 pages of this thread, it was like a never ending novel with a happy ending!! Sorry you had to go through all this Sarah, hopefully all is still good!
      03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #733
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wokjoe View Post
Wow, I just read through all 34 pages of this thread, it was like a never ending novel with a happy ending!! Sorry you had to go through all this Sarah, hopefully all is still good!
My hats off to you for reading all of that.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #734
Gdickey@beckman.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

This statement I’m making should only apply to 07 – 08 3 series modals
I have read many pages the real fix for my car is to replace the front sub frame assembly.
I am one of many having this problem on my 07 335i
Here is what could have been happening.
During breaking the power steering belt and pulley is hitting the front sub frame assembly. This causes the sound you hear (squirrel)
This is a known design issue bmw corp. is aware of on early modal 3 series cars.
Your dealer ship took way to long to fix this problem and did not do what is required to fix this the first time. My guess is they won’t document a sub frame issue because of the legal ramifications. I really hope they told you the truth and there is no sub frame issue still on later modals. My car is having the sub frame replaced next week. I’m under cpo with 65,000 the SA is not charging me for 2700 in parts but want me to pay the 1,000 in labor. I don’t think this is fair. I will try to get a written statement as to why they feel I should pay them 1,000 this is a design problem. BMW needs to recall all modals at risk of this failure and have belts inspected. I suspect a court order is coming soon and all belt problem records will be pulled. This has the potential to being a very big problem for BMW.
This link will give you the sib # to give the dealer. http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...erpentine+belt

Last edited by Gdickey@beckman.com; 03-23-2012 at 11:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #735
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

She has a 2011, the issue you are describing is not what is happening. Plus the car has been fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdickey@beckman.com View Post
This statement I’m making should only apply to 07 – 08 3 series modals
I have read many pages the real fix for my car is to replace the front sub frame assembly.
I am one of many having this problem on my 07 335i
Here is what could have been happening.
During breaking the power steering belt and pulley is hitting the front sub frame assembly. This causes the sound you hear (squirrel)
This is a known design issue bmw corp. is aware of on early modal 3 series cars.
Your dealer ship took way to long to fix this problem and did not do what is required to fix this the first time. My guess is they won’t document a sub frame issue because of the legal ramifications. I really hope they told you the truth and there is no sub frame issue still on later modals. My car is having the sub frame replaced next week. I’m under cpo with 65,000 the SA is not charging me for 2700 in parts but want me to pay the 1,000 in labor. I don’t think this is fair. I will try to get a written statement as to why they feel I should pay them 1,000 this is a design problem. BMW needs to recall all modals at risk of this failure and have belts inspected. I suspect a court order is coming soon and all belt problem records will be pulled. This has the potential to being a very big problem for BMW.
This link will give you the sib # to give the dealer. http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...erpentine+belt
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #736
Gdickey@beckman.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

The power steering belt will tear and destroy main seal which they replaced on your car.
They replaced your power steering pulling because it was damaged.
It’s very possible it hit sub frame during hard braking or hitting a big
Pot hole or bump.
I highly recommend you request the power steering belt checked for sub frame wear marks at every service.
The dealers are becoming more aware of this and should be looking for this on all cars it applies.
That being said I will do what ever it takes to make sure no one is taken advantage of by the dealer or BMW.
This kind of attention will give all of us a better car in the future.
Question to all BMW service techs do you check for the sub frame belt wear?
The complete length of belt needs to be checked.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #737
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The power steering belt will tear and destroy main seal which they replaced on your car.
Pot hole or bump.
I highly recommend you request the power steering belt checked for sub frame wear marks at every service.
The dealers are becoming more aware of this and should be looking for this on all cars it applies.
That being said I will do what ever it takes to make sure no one is taken advantage of by the dealer or BMW.
They took the belt off almost every time I brought it in for service. Im sure they would have noticed. My car runs/sounds fine since changing the front main seal.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #738
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Pot hole or bump.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SARAS ISSUE. THIS IS ONLY ON 07-08 N54s SHEHASA 11 N55 & THE CAR IS FIXED. NOBODY IS GETTING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #739
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Ok reporting back as promised.

No chirping
out of curiosity .. and NOT to bring up a dead thread or anything.. being very familiar with RO's (worked at a dealership May-August) how did they assign you a Tag/Hat number lol? If I can recall you roll around with no license plates right haha? Tag Number is usually the second half of someone's plates.. the number parts.

but GLAD you got everything worked out! 34 pages later and many loaners later! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #740
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
out of curiosity .. and NOT to bring up a dead thread or anything.. being very familiar with RO's (worked at a dealership May-August) how did they assign you a Tag/Hat number lol? If I can recall you roll around with no license plates right haha? Tag Number is usually the second half of someone's plates.. the number parts.

but GLAD you got everything worked out! 34 pages later and many loaners later! lol
I guess they just made one up. My license plate doesnt end or even have a 1, 7, or 0 in it... Still rolling around 9 months later no plate
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #741
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/F85 X5M

Quote:
I guess they just made one up. My license plate doesnt end or even have a 1, 7, or 0 in it... Still rolling around 9 months later no plate
Wait? What? You don't have a license plate?
'21 Civic Type R
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #742
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroVR4 View Post
Wait? What? You don't have a license plate?
On my car no.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #743
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

What a great thread Sara! Worthy of bringing back from the dead after all these years because the exact same thing just happened to me.

2011 E92 N55 335i making a dolphin chatter noise while stopping. I had all the same symptoms you described (most pronounced when turning left, etc.) and all the same comical exasperation heard in your videos. But my car had 75K miles, the problem started very suddenly and was accompanied by a faint oil smell. It was somewhat difficult to reproduce consistently but I found that hard acceleration from 0-10mph followed immediately by hard braking while turning left seemed to get it to chirp pretty good. One time I got it to chirp so solidly that I even managed to stop, get out, and get the hood open and listen while it was still chirping. Eventually I got good enough that I was even able to get it chirping in Neutral simply by tapping the gas and then pulling the handbrake.

I had no clue what could make such a strange sound with such strange conditions and Google didn't help so a trip to the dealer revealed the front main seal to be the issue and I was told there is even a SIB on it now. I couldn't believe the seal would cause that noise but once I googled "front main seal chirping" I found this thread along with many others from many other makes/models. I'm guessing this is going to be more common as these cars are aging so hopefully raising this old thread will help the future generation of chirpers.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #744
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

well, since it is revived..I have that sound and it is a groove in the rotor from a particle that got between the pad and disc at some point. I took it to the dealer and they said it was grooved, but because my pads and rotors were above spec would not change them. I said, " it is an annoying noise that should not happen." And they said the brakes work fine and BMW would not legitimize changing the brakes for that. So, I guess I will just live with it until I change brakes.
      08-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #745
vespa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

jgo, if it sounds anything like Sara's videos it has nothing to do with the brakes. If it's just standard brake squeal it has nothing to do with grooves or particles -- brakes just squeal sometimes. If yours is particularly chronic you can take the pads out and re-lube them.

FYI, here's what mine sounded like (remove the ".pdf" extension):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...5&d=1434476975
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #746
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

This thread is like 4 years old....
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 12:26 PM   #747
MadJoe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
Quote:
This thread is like 4 years old....
Yes, and the biggest question on my mind is "Do you still not have a plate on your car?!?"
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #748
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoe View Post
Yes, and the biggest question on my mind is "Do you still not have a plate on your car?!?"
haha
Appreciate 0