E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > My day with the M-Sport 320

05-29-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
alwaysblazin
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

My day with the M-Sport 320

Hey everyone, this is my first thread...so excuse the stupidity of the content.

I took delivery of my 320i last month. Absolutely love it. But the lads at my dealership 'didn't have time to install the CD Changer' in the back by the time I picked up the car so I had to go back to get it today. Anyway, long story short, since I'm thinking about changing my regular non-M-sport suspension set up and wheels to something better I asked my dealer to get me a M-sport model 320i as a loaner - so i could feel the difference with the sport susp, bigger wheels and lower ride height. And no doubt, today a sweet alpine m-sport 320i was waiting in the lot for me

I personally can't tell much of a difference with the ride quality (important to me). I mean, its not so uncomfortable that I'd scrap the idea of new suspension and bigger wheels. Handling was great - was going around as many round-a-bouts as possible But i'm no veteran rev-head like everyone in here seems to be, so i'll throw this one out to you guys.

Anyone driven both the M-sport and non-M-sport set ups? What were your opinions on the ride quality??? Pretty much similar or is that me?

And hey, btw, I know everyone likes the M-sport seats but whats up with the narrowness. MAN! I'm not a big bloke by any means and even I was having trouble trying to pry my arse out of those seats. No-one else notice this? IMO, the non-sport seats are heaps more comfy (maybe not practical for ripping around like a madman, but more comfy)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I drove both the standard setup and the M and I could tell the difference. but having said that the M was on 17" wheels and the standard on 16" so the difference could have been due to wheels to a certain extent.

As for the seats, there is a switch on the side of the seats that allows you to inflate or deflate the side bolsters. Your ride probably had tem pumped right up.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #3
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
I drive a Msport with 18's. I had a loaner stockie last week while mine was in service. Yes, seats are much narrower on my car than the stockie, but then im little so i have the lumbar support to full 'puffiness' to lock me into place in my seat.

In terms of handling, well, i give me car a lot mroe than the loaner (didnt want to do anything reckless!!) and I feel the bumps more on my harder suspension than the loaner car. In terms of cornering, i think mine is still nicer. Perhaps that little it lower suspension helps on the M. Personal preference, but I love my sports with a passion!
      05-30-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysblazin View Post
Hey everyone, this is my first thread...so excuse the stupidity of the content.

I took delivery of my 320i last month. Absolutely love it. But the lads at my dealership 'didn't have time to install the CD Changer' in the back by the time I picked up the car so I had to go back to get it today. Anyway, long story short, since I'm thinking about changing my regular non-M-sport suspension set up and wheels to something better I asked my dealer to get me a M-sport model 320i as a loaner - so i could feel the difference with the sport susp, bigger wheels and lower ride height. And no doubt, today a sweet alpine m-sport 320i was waiting in the lot for me

I personally can't tell much of a difference with the ride quality (important to me). I mean, its not so uncomfortable that I'd scrap the idea of new suspension and bigger wheels. Handling was great - was going around as many round-a-bouts as possible But i'm no veteran rev-head like everyone in here seems to be, so i'll throw this one out to you guys.

Anyone driven both the M-sport and non-M-sport set ups? What were your opinions on the ride quality??? Pretty much similar or is that me?

And hey, btw, I know everyone likes the M-sport seats but whats up with the narrowness. MAN! I'm not a big bloke by any means and even I was having trouble trying to pry my arse out of those seats. No-one else notice this? IMO, the non-sport seats are heaps more comfy (maybe not practical for ripping around like a madman, but more comfy)
Firstly welcome.
I've driven both, but being a bit of a car nut i do pick up on the suspension differences quickly and found it noticeable, however i know other people like you who dont.
I never really noticed the sports seats as narrow in bimmers, had a ride in a mates integra type r a few weeks back with teh recaro racing seats in it, now they were snug, he had a joke as it was a form of contraception in that it meant only certain girls could fit in it. Funny stuff.
If your wondering what to do, i'd say get some 18"s on it first thing, see how you like the ride on them before going for the suspension, because the 18" w/ runflats sound harden up the ride a bit for you.
Cheers
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
alwaysblazin
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Firstly welcome.
I've driven both, but being a bit of a car nut i do pick up on the suspension differences quickly and found it noticeable, however i know other people like you who dont.
I never really noticed the sports seats as narrow in bimmers, had a ride in a mates integra type r a few weeks back with teh recaro racing seats in it, now they were snug, he had a joke as it was a form of contraception in that it meant only certain girls could fit in it. Funny stuff.
If your wondering what to do, i'd say get some 18"s on it first thing, see how you like the ride on them before going for the suspension, because the 18" w/ runflats sound harden up the ride a bit for you.
Cheers
hi, thanks for the thoughts everyone.

BMW//MPOWER you're absolutely right about me not noticing the diff. I had the M-sport for the second day today and travelling on the roads I usually drive on, I could hardly feel it - which is great news for me.

And thanks for the advice about getting the wheels first then thinking abt suspension....makes sense! I'll do that, i've got a set of 19's (with regular tyres) waiting for me at a mates joint....just trying to get the money together for them now.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 03:45 AM   #6
OZMOD335i
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 530d Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysblazin View Post
hi, thanks for the thoughts everyone.

BMW//MPOWER you're absolutely right about me not noticing the diff. I had the M-sport for the second day today and travelling on the roads I usually drive on, I could hardly feel it - which is great news for me.

And thanks for the advice about getting the wheels first then thinking abt suspension....makes sense! I'll do that, i've got a set of 19's (with regular tyres) waiting for me at a mates joint....just trying to get the money together for them now.
I put on aftermarket 19's with Yokohama rubber( not run-flats) and i think the ride is as good as or even better than my 17's (run-flats) plus i know a few people who get plenty of punctures with run-flats and it's costing them plenty. You can buy from your local dealership a pump and some goey stuff. Just don't head for Ayers rock with Non-runflats, you might be waiting for a while for tyre out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
alwaysblazin
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZMOD335i View Post
I put on aftermarket 19's with Yokohama rubber( not run-flats) and i think the ride is as good as or even better than my 17's (run-flats) plus i know a few people who get plenty of punctures with run-flats and it's costing them plenty. You can buy from your local dealership a pump and some goey stuff. Just don't head for Ayers rock with Non-runflats, you might be waiting for a while for tyre out there.
mate, just checked out ur car. its f'ing pure HEAT man!

makes me wanna get my sh*t together and whack my wheels on tmw.

great set up!
Appreciate 0