E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

03-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #265
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
I checked the thread and didn't see anything so far, but pardon me if I missed it.

Has anyone successfully retrofitted a GSM TCU into an older E90 (2006) that only originally used CDMA TCU's?

I have one I want to retrofit into the car but I'm not 100% sure if I can use the GSM TCU in my car. Just wanted a little confirmation before I started tearing things apart.

Thanks!
Well, I couldn't find any instances of anyone taking a GSM TCU and putting it in a 2006 vehicle, but I'm trying it anyway. Looking through BMW's ETK (which has alot more information then RealOEM, imho) from 01/2011 it appears that the parts will work for the vehicle.

I got TCU part 84109321088 along with FZD part 61319209579 from jimk late last year . Checking the part numbers in ETK shows them as valid for a 2006 E90 330i.

84109321088 doesn't show up in RealOEM and ETK because it's a part only put in new cars and BMW doesn't appear to sell brand new TCU's in their parts channels only reman units. The screen below shows that 84109231092 is the remanufactured version of 84109231088.

Digging into the parts use for that part number shows it as an acceptable part for use in a US version 330i E90.

Same with the FZD, 61319209579 shows usage as well in a E90 330i, shown below.

Both of these parts were manufactured around 05/2010.

I guess I'll see this weekend (if my bracket and other parts arrive on time) if it'll all work and if I can retrofit them with ISTA/P.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 10:21 AM   #266
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Works perfectly. I was able to retrofit a new GSM TCU (manufactured 05.2010) into my 2006 (04/05 build) E90 without any issues whatsoever.

ISTA/P picked up the new FZD and TCU and programmed them perfectly.

So if anyone was wondering if they wanted to buy a TCU unit, you can use either the GSM or the CDMA version, at least in the older models. Although, I'm pretty sure you can use any version you want and it'll work just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #267
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

Hi. I'll preface this by saying I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if my question has been covered elsewhere.

I just took deliver of a 2009 M3. I was under the impression it had Premium Pkg, but it infact didn't. It does have most other options and does have 6FL (Ipod USB in center console). I want to add both Homelink and Bluetooth to the car. I read over on M3post that cars with 6FL have everything prewired for Bluetooth and only need coding done to activate it. Is this true?

Since I also want to get Homelink I'll need to change the mirror. My mirror is autodimming so I can direct swap the mirror. In the original post it talked about replacing the mirror with one equipped for Bluetooth. How do I know if a mirror has Bluetooth in it or not? On ebay there are lots of mirrors with Homelink/compass/autodim. Will these mirrors also be compatible for bluetooth?

I think I'll likely get a combox retrofit as well. If Bluetooth activation requires more than simple coding, will this do the trick? What about compatibility with mirrors?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure any parts I get will be compatible with all the changes I have planned. I don't want to waste time or money replacing a part twice (or more)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #268
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post
Hi. I'll preface this by saying I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if my question has been covered elsewhere.

I just took deliver of a 2009 M3. I was under the impression it had Premium Pkg, but it infact didn't. It does have most other options and does have 6FL (Ipod USB in center console). I want to add both Homelink and Bluetooth to the car. I read over on M3post that cars with 6FL have everything prewired for Bluetooth and only need coding done to activate it. Is this true?

Since I also want to get Homelink I'll need to change the mirror. My mirror is autodimming so I can direct swap the mirror. In the original post it talked about replacing the mirror with one equipped for Bluetooth. How do I know if a mirror has Bluetooth in it or not? On ebay there are lots of mirrors with Homelink/compass/autodim. Will these mirrors also be compatible for bluetooth?

I think I'll likely get a combox retrofit as well. If Bluetooth activation requires more than simple coding, will this do the trick? What about compatibility with mirrors?

Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure any parts I get will be compatible with all the changes I have planned. I don't want to waste time or money replacing a part twice (or more)
Mirror doesn't have bluetooth.

I'm not sure on a 2009, but somewhere in the newer models, they stopped putting in all of the pre-wiring which makes all of this possible. Hence, good luck if yours isn't pre-wired.

If you plan on switching out the mirror (I did mine and made a DIY here), many of them will work, so just check when you're buying it (assuming you go e-bay), most will have a compatibility chart. Mirror does not require re-programming.

As far as the re-programming on the bluetooth. The thing that screws that up a lot is the FZD replacement. Make sure that one is the correct part or it will fail out. The TCU can be tricky too, as the plug has to fit (there are 3 different ones) so be patient there. I suggest you get it re-programmed elsewhere, as some BMW dealers tend to charge quite a bit (mine wanted $657, whereas I just got it reprogrammed yesterday for $190)

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #269
boffman
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40D, F31 330i Touring

Hi Guys,
Great thread. My trunk just leaked and I've got a water damaged and broken TCU. It's a '07 E60, but I'm pretty sure the same rules apply.

Can anyone tell me what this means. I see it in reference to the part when looking at various parts sites.

"A TCU (telematic control unit) can Only be ordered by specifying the Vehicle identification number. The VIN is coded when the replacement TCU is delivered. Recoding is not Possible. The TCU functions properly Only with matching coding. Replacements TCUs cannot therefore be ordered in Reserve! Retrofits and conversions To SA633 are not possible!"

Does this mean that if I don't order from my dealer I'll miss out on something? They want $1,200 plus labour to replace it!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #270
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boffman View Post
Hi Guys,
Great thread. My trunk just leaked and I've got a water damaged and broken TCU. It's a '07 E60, but I'm pretty sure the same rules apply.

Can anyone tell me what this means. I see it in reference to the part when looking at various parts sites.

"A TCU (telematic control unit) can Only be ordered by specifying the Vehicle identification number. The VIN is coded when the replacement TCU is delivered. Recoding is not Possible. The TCU functions properly Only with matching coding. Replacements TCUs cannot therefore be ordered in Reserve! Retrofits and conversions To SA633 are not possible!"

Does this mean that if I don't order from my dealer I'll miss out on something? They want $1,200 plus labour to replace it!
In your situation, you should be able to just switch the TCU out and be back up and running (assuming the water damage doesn't go beyond the TCU itself).

The VIN they are requesting is just to make sure you have the correct part, and if you look on your TCU itself, it will have the part number listed. I believe there are still pictures in the front of this thread that demonstrate that. As long as you get another part that has the same part #, you'll be fine, but otherwise there are other models which will probably work for your car, but I'm not sure if they'd need to have the car reprogrammed for that to work.

What I suggest is you find the part number, be patient, and look for one to pop onto e-bay.

Also, don't forget that your old TCU still has value! If you buy a brand new TCU, most all places charge a $200 core fee, which you can get back by sending your old TCU in. If you go e-bay, then you might sell your old one on these forums or even e-bay, stating it's broken, for $100 or something. That way you'd be getting $100 off, and the person buying it from you could use it for a core fee and get $100 off as well. Just something to think about, and definitely don't just throw the old one in the trash...

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #271
boffman
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40D, F31 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdon View Post
In your situation, you should be able to just switch the TCU out and be back up and running (assuming the water damage doesn't go beyond the TCU itself).
Great news! - thanks for the info.

The dealer told me that I would be up for a programming fee whatever happened. Do you know if it is possible for a replacement TCU, with identical part numbers, to be running a different software version and hence for there to be a requirement for re-programming. Or do you think the guy is just talking about clearing error codes (in which case I'll wait till the next service).

And sorry to be slightly off topic, but would the same apply to the replacement of a damaged PDC control unit?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #272
kepowers
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Microphone wiring question

Hey Guys - sorry to reopen an old thread but I have a question I wanted to rack your brains with. I've installed the bluetooth retrofit flawlessly thanks to the help of this great forum - except for one hiccup. My microphone isn't working.

I did see that there are instructions to rewire the audio junction box located behind the glove-box near the fuse compartment (thanks to jimk and jreich). Before attempting this swap, I double checked the microphone connection in the FZD, and noticed that the two wires leading to the microphone are clearly brown and black. This seems to be unique from everyone else's setup, as the instructions provided describe moving yellow and black microphone pins - so I am doubtful this will work.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Do you think this could be due to the fact that my car came with the bmw ipod usb connection (lf6) which also contains a bluetooth module? I wonder if the microphone isn't wired to the ipod lf6 module......

Just to confirm - I have also tried a new microphone to rule out a potential mic problem.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #273
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepowers View Post
Hey Guys - sorry to reopen an old thread but I have a question I wanted to rack your brains with. I've installed the bluetooth retrofit flawlessly thanks to the help of this great forum - except for one hiccup. My microphone isn't working.

I did see that there are instructions to rewire the audio junction box located behind the glove-box near the fuse compartment (thanks to jimk and jreich). Before attempting this swap, I double checked the microphone connection in the FZD, and noticed that the two wires leading to the microphone are clearly brown and black. This seems to be unique from everyone else's setup, as the instructions provided describe moving yellow and black microphone pins - so I am doubtful this will work.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Do you think this could be due to the fact that my car came with the bmw ipod usb connection (lf6) which also contains a bluetooth module? I wonder if the microphone isn't wired to the ipod lf6 module......

Just to confirm - I have also tried a new microphone to rule out a potential mic problem.

Thanks

Hey man,

Grats on getting all in. I had the same situation (with the mic). Just be aware, the leads you are changing are not the ones going directly into the mic at the FZD. It's a little junction box down and behind your glove box (near where your fuses are). I'm too tired to go look at the moment, but I know I found the page from the manual listing that location somewhere here.

Hope that answers your question, if not, I'll check back tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #274
kepowers
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurdon View Post
Hey man,

Grats on getting all in. I had the same situation (with the mic). Just be aware, the leads you are changing are not the ones going directly into the mic at the FZD. It's a little junction box down and behind your glove box (near where your fuses are). I'm too tired to go look at the moment, but I know I found the page from the manual listing that location somewhere here.

Hope that answers your question, if not, I'll check back tomorrow
Thanks! Sorry - I forgot to mention that. I did remove the glovebox and found the audio junction box on the right hand side - but before I started swapping wires I decided to double check to ensure the microphone was completely plugged in. When I removed the FZD - I noticed the wires were brown and black, rather than yellow and black.

Anyway - i guess the next step is to plug and play - see if swapping the wires works. If not - I have a bigger issue on my hands. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #275
kepowers
Rep

Great news! Swapping out the wires as indicated in the glovebox worked for me as well. It looks like we're now all set!

Thanks again to everyone in the forum for making this possible. All of the dealers told me it couldn't be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #276
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepowers View Post
Great news! Swapping out the wires as indicated in the glovebox worked for me as well. It looks like we're now all set!

Thanks again to everyone in the forum for making this possible. All of the dealers told me it couldn't be done.
Just curious, what was your final cost for the install?

I am thinking about doing this but have have not been able to find an accurate list of parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #277
shaytanabyad
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Also interested in final cost...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #278
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

anyone know if a 2011 335is TCU will work in a 2007 car (pre wired), cant find the part number on realoem.com

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #279
Alan_S
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi Sold

Bluetooth retrofit on 2009 335Xi

I am planning to retrofit assist on my 2009 335XI, i have been lucky to source most of the parts used. I removed my FZD module but could not locate the wiring for the mic. My car is an early LCI 09/2008 build and has no NAV but it does have the ipod input (mulf 2 module in the trunk). The car has the phone buttons on the steering wheel and the build date lead me to believe that it was pre wired and this would be pretty straighforward.

Has anybody seen this before ? Is the MIC wiring hidden in the headlining somewhere ? I have wiring to the MULF module in the trunk and planned to replace the module with a used TCU.

Is there ayway to verify for sure that I have phone prep ? Do the buttons on the steering wheel mean I have it ?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #280
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

Steering wheel buttons don't indicate any prep exists.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #281
Alan_S
Rep

Thanks Nathan

I did a little more investigation today (with help from Evan at Tischer BMW who ran my VIN for me) and found out that as you suggested my car did not have phone prep 640 option code. Evan mentioned that with my build date 09/08 he hadn't seen a car that didnt have the prep fitted. I read that later cars didnt have it but thought I would be lucky.

Anyway it now looks like my best option might be to have the bluetooth functionality of the MULF2 that is fitted for the 6FL option re coded, that way I only have to add a minimal amount of wiring for the MIC and antenna.

Does anybody have any experience of having this done in the Mid West area? Bimmer-Tech seems well respected / trusted to do this, has anbody used them for this exact issue ?

Thanks

Alan
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #282
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Bimmer-Tech appears to be able to solve this from afar -- I'm not sure if that means they send you the parts and instructions -- and then remotely code the vehicle -- or if they refer you to a local partner. But yes, they seem to have a good rep, and have sold this solution as a package.

I haven't got any direct personal experience with them.
Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #283
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

I accessed the secret menu on the professional head unit (when you first turn on the radio, hold the M button for ten seconds) which many people use to see the numeric display of the volume setting, and found other interesting stuff in there, including this screen about "connected devices" that talks about a phone.

Note I don't have factory bluetooth, and haven't had any coding done, but it was interesting to see this and gives me more faith that lots of the guts for a bluetooth connection (ie, the MULF) are present and ready for hacking!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #284
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

factory fitted 6FL but not working

I have a Dec 2009 E90 LCI which has radio professional and 6FL with MULF2-High (with bluetooth logo) fitted from factory. I do not have Navigation Professional or SA640 (phone prep).

After reading from various forums that bluetooth and voice control can be enabled for those cars fitted with 6FL option, I ordered the mic and bluetooth antenna from my local parts dealer who ordered them direct from Germany. I also ordered the OBD cable from ebay so I can do my own coding.

I read that the SA644 VO can be enabled and phone paired without the mic and antenna. Since I had already received the OBD cable, I decided to code the VO first while still waiting for the mic and antenna. I had added $644 to the VO and did FA_WRITE to both CAS and NFRM. I also did SG_CODIEREN to the 2RAD (radio professional) module. After the radio restarted, pressing the menu button showed an addtional "TEL" option. But this option is not enabled as it does not have the phone icon instead having 2 dashes in it's place. It looks something like this. http://64.19.142.14/i54.tinypic.com/2zqvhig.jpg (photo credit blingers of babybmw.net)

The owner of the photo above was able to resolve this by re-connecting the MOST cable in the distributor block. But his 1 series had SA640 option with no 6FL.

I've not attempted to check the MOST distribution block (I have non-folding rear seats) or the radio connections yet since bluetooth enabling is just supposed to be a plug and play (with coding) for cars factory fitted 6FL option.

If anyone has any idea on what else needs to be done to get the "TEL" option to be enabled please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #285
Alan_S
Rep

Bluetooth is working now.

I have managed to activate the bluetooth in the Mulf2 HI module factory fitted to my 09 335i (US SPEC). The car has 6FL but no phone prep or navigation. Using the resorces available on this forum and at ************** i downloaded the tools and was able to get everything working in the module using NCSEXPERT and a cable I purchased. I still have the MIC wiring to do and I have to connect the bluetooth antenna, however if i place the phone in the trunk it will pair. I can also dial and recieve calls in the car. The only thing that was a little strange with my car was that I did not have a 2RAD module but I had a 2URAD module, I tried to code that module but got an error message. I shut the car down for a few mins and started back up, the phone menu was then available. So I just had to modify the vehicle order and write to CAS and NFRM. Its fairly straight forward once you get everything on your laptop set up and working.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #286
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
I have managed to activate the bluetooth in the Mulf2 HI module factory fitted to my 09 335i (US SPEC). The car has 6FL but no phone prep or navigation. Using the resorces available on this forum and at ************** i downloaded the tools and was able to get everything working in the module using NCSEXPERT and a cable I purchased. I still have the MIC wiring to do and I have to connect the bluetooth antenna, however if i place the phone in the trunk it will pair. I can also dial and recieve calls in the car. The only thing that was a little strange with my car was that I did not have a 2RAD module but I had a 2URAD module, I tried to code that module but got an error message. I shut the car down for a few mins and started back up, the phone menu was then available. So I just had to modify the vehicle order and write to CAS and NFRM. Its fairly straight forward once you get everything on your laptop set up and working.
Cool. BTW, did you edit the name of the other resource out, or was that a feature of our forum software?
Appreciate 0