E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > **Bluetooth Retrofit Guide** for TCU and ULF

02-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #111
enforcerman
The Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 328i MSport

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Amazingly after I had the bluetooth retrofitted, the non dealership I used didnt activate the BMW Assist. So when I took my car into the dealership today to get service, the BMW Center actually setup BMW Assist, coded the car for it, and did all the paperwork.....FOR FREE. Couldnt believe it. My service rep is awesome. He even comp'd the inspection fee. Now I have another 2 years of free BMW Assist (4 years from date of purchase). Now for a brake job in 7k miles!
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #112
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

OK, here's my experience with this whole thing. I started out full of enthusiasm after reading this thread and then looking into Bimmernav and their kit. I even spoke to the people at Bimmernav and they assured me that they had a working solution for bluetooth retrofit. I bought in as a Christmas present but didn't get to the dealer until the second week in January. A three day stay at the dealer yielded no results. They just couldn't get the thing to work as it kept asking for the "roof function carrier"/FZD/aka SOS button panel. I then had my SA call Bimmernav and they walked him through the steps, assuring him that it would work. Well, 2 days later, no results. Bimmernav then says that they had shipped the wrong part and would need to order the correct one from Germany. Now 2 weeks go by before the new TCU arrives. I install the new TCU, which was for a later production date than my car's actual production date, and took it back to the dealer. 3 days later, the dealer is back on the phone with Bimmernav asking for instructions because the system is still looking for the FZD. On the 4th day, the dealer calls Bimmernav again. Bimmernav says: "you need the FZD".

I just gave the SA the OK for the FZD. I know him personally and he'll get me a good price but I really don't want to sit down and add up what this stinkin' bluetooth snipe hunt has cost me.

Your experience may vary, but I was not impressed with Bimmernav [there were calls made by me for tech support as well. One girl kept saying "just read the SIB, it's all in there." Yeah, right. The SIB says to install an under-dash speaker that didn't come in the kit. The girl insisted I follow the SIB. I finally spoke with Mason, who said to put a jumper in the speaker connector. Where in the friggin' SIB does it say to jump a connector? Jeez, guys, you can't even type out a little note to put in the kit to cover this? You can't train your staff to give the right advice?]. Bottom line: I don't think these guys really know what they're doing.

Sorry for venting but I think it was worth bringing to everyone's attention.

Bill M
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #113
enforcerman
The Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 328i MSport

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I had heard that bimmernav's kit have problems. thats why I took the SIB, bought all the parts myself, and had them installed. The MOST important thing is you NEED the FZD (thats the roof switch). It WILL NOT WORK without the one w/ the SOS/BMW Assist. I can't stress enough that getting w/ someone at Tischer and having them make sure they send you all the parts for YOUR car.

Even after all my problems, its so worth it.
Blacked out Kidney Grill || Bluetooth Retrofit || Ipod Retrofit || Rear Power Outlets || Euro Switch || Blacklines
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #114
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
OK, here's my experience with this whole thing. I started out full of enthusiasm after reading this thread and then looking into Bimmernav and their kit. I even spoke to the people at Bimmernav and they assured me that they had a working solution for bluetooth retrofit. I bought in as a Christmas present but didn't get to the dealer until the second week in January. A three day stay at the dealer yielded no results. They just couldn't get the thing to work as it kept asking for the "roof function carrier"/FZD/aka SOS button panel. I then had my SA call Bimmernav and they walked him through the steps, assuring him that it would work. Well, 2 days later, no results. Bimmernav then says that they had shipped the wrong part and would need to order the correct one from Germany. Now 2 weeks go by before the new TCU arrives. I install the new TCU, which was for a later production date than my car's actual production date, and took it back to the dealer. 3 days later, the dealer is back on the phone with Bimmernav asking for instructions because the system is still looking for the FZD. On the 4th day, the dealer calls Bimmernav again. Bimmernav says: "you need the FZD".

I just gave the SA the OK for the FZD. I know him personally and he'll get me a good price but I really don't want to sit down and add up what this stinkin' bluetooth snipe hunt has cost me.

Your experience may vary, but I was not impressed with Bimmernav [there were calls made by me for tech support as well. One girl kept saying "just read the SIB, it's all in there." Yeah, right. The SIB says to install an under-dash speaker that didn't come in the kit. The girl insisted I follow the SIB. I finally spoke with Mason, who said to put a jumper in the speaker connector. Where in the friggin' SIB does it say to jump a connector? Jeez, guys, you can't even type out a little note to put in the kit to cover this? You can't train your staff to give the right advice?]. Bottom line: I don't think these guys really know what they're doing.

Bill M
I dealt with those losers as well. They sent me an e60 part, that they insisted would work. So, after 1 week of troubleshooting--dealer tries a part from another e90 on the lot...and it worked perfectly. So, dealer says...the only thing wrong with everything is the part you got from bimmernav!!

I talk to them, and they tell me to send the part back for return. Which I do promptly. I wait 2 months, and no refund!! I then call them, and they tell me that they did not refund me because when they received the part that I sent them to do the return, they realized I was beyond the return policy dates!!! They never bothered to talk to me, contact me, or anything. They just figured I would disappear. Well, I tried to work with them...but in the end, I talked to my cc company and filed a credit dispute. The cc company credited my account, did their investigation...and in the end, kept the charge back in my favor.

Bimmernav= sorry business practices.

If anyone wants to do this...go through you local dealership. prices have gone down ALOT, and it will save you a big headache.
      02-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #115
AoshichanX
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post

Bill M

I'm sorry for your poor experience. I will remove all links to bimmernav + make sure to bold that FZD is required in the OP.

Nobody has had a successful retrofit without the FZD so it was all misinformation and should be revised.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #116
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

So, getting back to the SIB: is the underdash speaker a crucial component? What does it do?

TIA,
Bill
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #117
gdpbmw
Rep
Drives: jeep

extra speaker

In every BMW equipped with SA639 (BMW Assist) you will have that speaker as a failsafe in case all other audio etc... is disabled in case of accident or whatever. You need to hear them (BMW Assist)
It is run completely independant from all other audio.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #118
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Just a few more things to add to this excellent thread.

1) Currently, there's a source for new TCUs on ebay at a very attractive price ($40). These are European (ECE) units with GSM cell phones. I've noted a few unscrupulous private sellers re-selling these units at higher prices ($150) with a comedy of explanations why they're getting rid of it. I've tried to get this to work in my E90 here in the US w/o success, but see note #2, below. Jury is still out if these will work to get bluetooth-only working.

2) I can confirm you MUST have the FZD (roof console) unit. My local dealership couldn't get the European TCU to program (no surprise). Since I've had to order the FZD (Tischer, those guys are awesome), I went ahead and popped for the US current TCU. As long as I need the Assist switch, I figured I might as well go whole-hog and get that running, too.

3) Still no resolution on the backup antenna issue that's listed in the SIB. Note that the part says "CDMA backup antenna", which is a US cell phone backup. I would guess the purpose is pretty simple. In a roll-over or other accident, in which the shark fin is damaged, this is the backup unit the TCU uses to call-out (much like the backup speaker in case the audio system is damaged). Makes perfect sense. Kudos to BMW for redundancy. I traced the backup antenna connector on the TCU, and it disappears into the left rear behind the seat. I couldn't find the other end of this for the life of me. The BMW parts illustration is no help, but it is listed as "trunk" in the diagram with the TCU and bracket. If anyone has found the location for this thing, let us know. Obviously, it's not needed to get everything working.

Waiting on delivery of the FZD and new TCU before continuing this (aptly-named) snipe hunt.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #119
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep

An update from my prior post. I had purchased a new TCU off ebay at a very attractive price ($40), this was a Europen unit, part number ending in ECE. Well, long story short, it doesn't work, at least in the USA. I have the correct FZD (overhead unit w/Assist button) and my dealer spent 2 days trying to program the TCU; the SSS said it was the wrong part number and stopped there. So, I've had my dealer order the correct TCU, and will finish from there.

One funny side note. When the FZD came in, I installed it, and noticed the SOS button was lite. My ECE TCU was installed but not working (see above). I pressed the button, the phone rang through the audio system, and my local 911 operator answered! Operator asked what number I was calling from, I said I had no idea. They ended up sending the police out to my house, just to confirm. Policeman laughed when I showed him the what happened, and yes, indeed, I wouldn't know what number had dialed 911.

So, mic, speaker, etc. worked, as did the GSM module on the ECE TCU. Unfortunately, BMW's simon-says software (the real meaning of SSS?) programming won't program this module as the part number is incorrect.

When the BMW electronics work, they're usually great (exception: i-drive Nav selection). Retrofitting this stuff is quite a challenge and hassle.

Lessons learned:

1) yes, the FZD is REQUIRED. No getting around it.
2) European TCUs (ending in ECE) don't work in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #120
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
i retrofitted my E92 with a parrot CK3000, QuickConnect harness and SW101 steering wheel interface. The entire setup was about $300 plus 2 hours of my time to install it.
Did not have to cut any wires and the car looks 100% OEM. No external controllers or anything like that.
      04-14-2009, 12:20 AM   #121
Zundfolge
Zundfolge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi, 1971 2002

Finally bit the bullet and got the TCU retrofit, and wanted to say how helpful the folks at Tischer were. Evan in parts gave me the complete parts list and was a great help. I had it installed at Tischer as well. SA Joe Diss quoted me $300 for the labor and honored that price even though it came up as $440 on the service computer when I brought the car in. I was given a loaner for this job even though it was not a warranty repair or maintenance. Turns out I did not need the back up antenna or bracket for my car (E90 4/08 manufacture) and returned those parts for refund. BMW Assist is also active and Joe handled the paperwork for that as well. The Assist contract is handled through sales, not service. The Assist Safety Plan is free for the remainder of the Ultimate Service plan, even if you retrofit. While I wish I had just ordered it from the factory, I am very pleased with the retrofit and I highly recommend Tischer BMW.
      04-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #122
Brianbmwboy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
i retrofitted my E92 with a parrot CK3000, QuickConnect harness and SW101 steering wheel interface. The entire setup was about $300 plus 2 hours of my time to install it.
Did not have to cut any wires and the car looks 100% OEM. No external controllers or anything like that.
What is the sw101 piece and did you get from parrot? Does the unit installed in the car mute the radio when a call comes in like the factory one does?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #123
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianbmwboy View Post
What is the sw101 piece and did you get from parrot? Does the unit installed in the car mute the radio when a call comes in like the factory one does?
i bought it here:
http://www.quickconnectproducts.com/

What you need is Parrot CK300, Quick Connect harness, and this SW101 box. You can buy all 3 from Quick Connect guys.

And yes, it mutes the radio. When i had my BlackBerry, i could also voice dial too. Pretty satisfied with it.
      04-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #124
jreich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: montego blue 335 coupe MT

Does anyone know the difference between the 84109126533 (new version) and the 84109171590 (discussed in this thread)? I am interested in this retrofit. I have seen BMW post recalls on the TCU, but didnt know if that is the reason why these part nums have changed. Tischer has the new model listed for $326.00.

Also, does anyone know if the Assist/Safety uses the same RF technology as Lojack? I seem to think getting the backup antenna would be essential if some is trying to "jack" your car and busts your shark fin antenna. Oh course with BMW Safety, if your car looses power, you loose BMW Safety. Half of my reason for this retrofit is becuse of BMW safety. Living in Houston makes me want this feature.

On a side note: I'm new here. I just purchased an 08 335i coupe Montego Blue with Sports package. Love the car so far. Makes my old taurus SHO seem unsafe to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #125
cxp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e90, f23, f30

Last week I decided to go checkout a salvage yard about an hour away from me. It was awesome -- imagine hundreds of upscale, wrecked cars everywhere and a warehouse filled with all sorts of parts.

I managed to find a TCU, a FZD, and a microphone for $140. I may be able to pull off the cheapest Bluetooth retrofit of all time.

I found the TCU by part number by referencing the part number in the retrofit TSB. According to realoem, this part number is compatible with my car. I'm slightly worried because the part number also says "E60" on it. We will see if there are any issues when I go get programming done at the dealer.

The FZD was actually still in a wrecked 335i. I have an early 325i, so this part may or may not work. The price was right, and I'm willing to roll the dice and find out. All buttons work correctly without programming. Microphone was still in the FZD.

I'm going to order the rest of the parts from Tischer, complete the installation, and take the car in for programming. I really hope that the TCU and FZD work.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #126
cxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update

I've installed all of the parts and am now waiting to get the car coded. If anyone knows someone around Philly who can help get this done, please drop me a note, otherwise I'm planning on calling up the dealership and talking about it with my SA.

Installation was pretty easy.
  • The TCU screws into the bracket which clips into a slot in the trunk. All connectors are clearly labeled and wiring was straightforward.
  • The Bluetooth antenna and loudspeaker mounted under the steering wheel. You remove three screws, drop the panel, attach the antenna and loudspeaker, attach the wires and put everything back together. The Bluetooth antenna wire was hidden near the OBD port.
  • The FZD was a PITA, but I figured out a trick. The best way to remove it -- perhaps the only way to remove it -- is to unclip both sunvisors, unscrew the two clips from the headliner, gently pull the headliner down near the rear view mirror, and push the FZD down from above. You will not damage your headliner if you do this correctly. There are two clips on the FZD that hold it in place towards the front of the car. Push the clips in to get the FZD to fall down.
  • Only thing left is coding. Supposedly I need to go to the dealer, ask them to hook up ProgMan to the MOST loop fiber optic cable under the steering wheel, and tell ProgMan to retrofit Bluetooth. I'm working on this.

Total costs so far:
$75 for salvaged TCU
$65 for salvaged FZD and Mic
$50 for Bluetooth Antenna, Loudspeaker, Bracket, Nuts
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #127
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep

For the prior poster, did you rewire the MOST block behind the rear seat? You need to loop the TCU unit into the fiber optic network; as the cars ship, they have the fiber connection to the TCU, but it's not yet wired into the MOST junction. No mention of this in your post, and when you go to program the unit, it won't appear if you haven't done the swap-a-roo at the MOST junction. See the pdf in the first post of this thread for pictorial instructions.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #128
cxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did add the TCU to the MOST loop, just forgot to mention this in my post. I have an appointment for coding on Monday -- will update with final costs when this is complete.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #129
Mazai
Finland
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Hi,

I'm trying to get bluetooth functionality to my european e92 335 with prof nav and usb (build date 2007). My dealer says that all that I need is a SA644 retrofit kit (84640398228) and a stick on window antenna (61120412563). Supposely I have all the other hardware in place because of the usb-connection.... that is hard to believe. The dealer says that the installation will take 6 hours but that sounds too much.

Edit: The retrofit kit contains lots of parts (http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/84640398228/) so the 6 hour installation time is quite understandable. I'll let the dealer install it

Last edited by Mazai; 05-21-2009 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #130
jreich
Private First Class
Rep

hey guys, I have all of the components to do the retrofit, but I am in question about the MOST connection. My cable connection doesnt look like the one in the instructions. On the top connector I have cables in the #1,#2,#3 for the top and bottom part of the plug and on the bottom connector I have cables in the #1,#2 for the top and bottom of the plug. Doesnt any one know the proper routing for these?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #131
cxp
Enlisted Member
Rep

The top junction block contains "unused" MOST cables and the bottom junction block contains "in use" MOST cables. You are going to remove the correct "unused" MOST cable for the TCU and insert it into the "in use" junction block.

Each connection has an input and an output, i.e. one fiber optic cable on the top and one on the bottom. The unused MOST cables are matched up in the same position in the junction block. You will need to figure out which position contains the cables for the TCU and then remove the top and bottom connections from the same position in the junction block.

How do you figure out which cables are correct? They're fiber optic cables. Before removing anything, try this -- get the TCU MOST cable in the trunk and shine a flashlight into the connector. There are two fiber optic cables in this connector -- the input and output we discussed earlier. If you shine in the input, the output should light up. If you shine in the output, the input will light up. The input and output cables are connected in the unused junction block, ad the light will pass right through.

You can remove one cable at a time from the unused junction block and check if the cable lights up with a flashlight on the TCU end. Once you find the correct cable, remove both the input and output/top and bottom. You will now move this into the bottom "in use" MOST junction block.

Unlike the top block, the "in use" junction block has inputs and outputs that are not in the same position. You cannot put both of the the TCU input and output cables into the same position. This junction block has cables "chained" together so that all of the MOST equipment can talk to each other.

Suppose you have connectors in positions 1, 2, and 3 in the "in use" MOST junction block. Remove the top cable from position 3 and move it to position 4. The bottom cable originally in position 3 should not be moved. You now have cables in 1, 2, and 4 on the top and 1, 2, 3 on the bottom. Put the top TCU cable into the empty position 3 on the top. Put the bottom TCU cable into the empty position 4 cable on the bottom. The TCU is now in the MOST fiber optic loop.

Remember to label everything before hand. I wrote numbers on all cables, copied down the original position onto the instructions, and took a picture before moving stuff around. It's pretty simple to do this, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #132
jreich
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks cxp. I installed everything this morning, but I couldn't get my microphone to work. It might be because I have a 08 335 and the FZD was from a 06 330Ci. I was able to link my cell phone, but when I made a call, all I got was my friend’s voice, but he couldn't hear me. Then I made the stupid mistake of hitting the SOS button. The BMW Assist people picked up and I tried talking to the guy and he couldn't hear me. He said my location was in Ohio when I am in Houston. The TCU (84109181276) I got was from eBay, but it came out of a 08 335 so I'm sure it is compatible with mine. The FZD unit had two microphones, so I am fairly confident that I either A) put it in the wrong microphone slot, or B) have the wrong type of microphone or C) need the TCU reprogrammed or D) FZD not compatible (don't think this is the case, but maybe). I don't think the MOST system is connected wrong because my radio seems to communicate with the TCU and I can somewhat make calls.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I don't want to have to bring my car in to be programmed, but I might have to. I don't really care about the Assist, just would like Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0