E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 failing fuel pump or bad EKP

04-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

N51 failing fuel pump or bad EKP

116k Miles. 2011 328xi N51. I had semi long cold starts a couple of times over the past 2-3 weeks. I don’t daily drive the car any more so I thought really nothing of it. Battery was replaced a year ish ago. New plugs. So this morning I was on the road for about 22 mins when the cars 4x4 light, brake light and ses popped on. No response to the throttle the car just slowed down. I turned the car back over again and continued driving. scanned the car with the cheap WiFi obd reader / Dashcmd. No faults. 35 mins later it happened again. Scanned the car with OBD FUSSION bc I don’t have the laptop with me and I get 6292/6293. I tried starting the car no good. No sound from the fuel pump when ignition is turned on. I did hear the valvetronic motor move. We opened the gas cap and listened no luck.

We pulled the rear seat . Hit the top of the fuel tank with just our hands and the car turned over. Drove the whole way home 45 mins without the car dying. The gas when released and pressed again jolts and jerked the car. But it made it all the way home.

Bad fuel pump? I know SULEV have problems with the intank rubber line that dissconnects but I still was able to drive so that’s ruled out. People have had their EKP replaced and still ended up needing a fuel pump.

I already ordered a replacement oem pump from FCP. Just would like some input as to what everyone else thinks or their experiences were.

Last edited by matthewjmoser; 04-11-2020 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #2
gbmw311
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9802 330ci vert, E2%80

Garage List
2002 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmoser View Post
116k Miles. 2011 328xi N51. I had semi long cold starts a couple of times over the past 2-3 weeks. I don't daily drive the car any more so I thought really nothing of it. Battery was replaced a year ish ago. New plugs. So this morning I was on the road for about 22 mins when the cars 4x4 light, brake light and ses popped on. No response to the throttle the car just slowed down. I turned the car back over again and continued driving. scanned the car with the cheap WiFi obd reader / Dashcmd. No faults. 35 mins later it happened again. Scanned the car with OBD FUSSION bc I don't have the laptop with me and I get 6292/6293. I tried starting the car no good. No sound from the fuel pump when ignition is turned on. I did hear the valvetronic motor move. We opened the gas cap and listened no luck.

We pulled the rear seat . Hit the top of the fuel tank with just our hands and the car turned over. Drove the whole way home 45 mins without the car dying. The gas when released and pressed again jolts and jerked the car. But it made it all the way home.

Bad fuel pump? I know SULEV have problems with the intank rubber line that dissconnects but I still was able to drive so that's ruled out. People have had their EKP replaced and still ended up needing a fuel pump.

I already ordered a replacement oem pump from FCP. Just would like some input as to what everyone else thinks or their experiences were.
If you're in NY, you should be covered by the SULEV warranty - I'd definitely investigate that. Fuel pump and tank are covered.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I know they are covered but with this whole pandemic going on I’ll just replace the fuel pump on my own right now.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
gbmw311
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9802 330ci vert, E2%80

Garage List
2002 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I know they are covered but with this whole pandemic going on I’ll just replace the fuel pump on my own right now.
Quote:
I know they are covered but with this whole pandemic going on I'll just replace the fuel pump on my own right now.
That's understandable - you should seek reimbursement when it's done and things calm down
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
matthewjmoser
Second Lieutenant
Rep

with everything going on right now the bmw dealers in new york aren't even possibly taking work until next month so i purchased the fuel pump from FCP euro ( lifetime replacement ) car runs great again.
Appreciate 0