E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)

02-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
how did you code NFRM?? I tried and error still comes up
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #46
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomheimlin View Post
Yeah that's a justifiable assessment.

Off topic, but what bulbs did you go with?
Did you try it yet? I'd like to know how it turned out. Make sure you save a backup of your entire car first, so you can easily revert if something goes wrong. It states this in one of the tutorials too.

I went with Xenesis something. I really don't remember the exact bulb type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisboszko View Post
how did you code NFRM?? I tried and error still comes up
I'd have to see what's not working right for you to be able to assess. Did you code the car for xenon with the VO $522 option or did you just disable bulb checks?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #47
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
Did you try it yet? I'd like to know how it turned out. Make sure you save a backup of your entire car first, so you can easily revert if something goes wrong. It states this in one of the tutorials too.

I went with Xenesis something. I really don't remember the exact bulb type.

I'd have to see what's not working right for you to be able to assess. Did you code the car for xenon with the VO $522 option or did you just disable bulb checks?
No back up needed. Much safer to flash back modules in expert mode which uses your VO to return to defaults and re-do custom coding if you mess something up. Don't brick your car!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #48
kokignatov
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 2.0 d

Quote:
It's actually wattage, not voltage. I'm not entirely sure whether the car really sends less wattage after the VO is changed. I'm thinking it basically tells the car that the lower wattage ballasts are not blown 55W bulbs, so the ECU won't try to power off that section or try to throw errors. I could be wrong, but this makes sense to me, because here's what happens when I turn on my high beams... my bixenon activates and so do my inner halogen bulbs (even though I coded the VO $522). You would think in my case that my inner halogens wouldn't light up at all if less wattage was sent.

Even still, I'd do the VO $522 for xenons, and if your halogen high beams don't light, it's not that big of a deal. How often do you use your high beams? I'd think low beam failure and footwell module malfunction would be way worse.
So can someone say does the ecu change the current and voltage after adding $522 or it's the same just no errors cuz when you nicht_aktiv the test for the low beams for example must be the same. Correct me if i am wrong i am new at these things but willing to learn...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #49
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

I have a question. when i coded my car with $522 the self leveling error never came up and even after enabling it, why i'm trying to do that is this winter i installed self leveling and all the wires to the nfrm module. i know the self leveling just opens up the shutter so i lost my high beam now. whats the easy way to reset my nfrm to factory default and maybe i could try adding 522 and see if that would solve my problem. And when i used my BT tool to check for error i don't see the self leveling error anymore so all i need to do is codding but don't know where to start. my car is e90 08 328i with frm2.
Thanks for the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #50
mnk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Hi all

Just wanted to share - I finished my OEM Xenon retrofit this afternoon and coded to Xenon under the Vehicle Order (VO). Really happy with the results, used Mtec LED bulbs for the AL - looking amazing with no flicker.

I also discovered I have headlight washers from factory. Strange!

Thanks to DESI4LIFE
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #51
mnk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Hi Guys,

Just want to share that I also managed to do a stealth wiring for the xenon lights, these will allow me to remove lights in the future and sell without a single scratch to the wiring on the car or in the headlights. Let me know if anyone wants more information.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #52
Virterm
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnk View Post
Hi Guys,

Just want to share that I also managed to do a stealth wiring for the xenon lights, these will allow me to remove lights in the future and sell without a single scratch to the wiring on the car or in the headlights. Let me know if anyone wants more information.
Well, this is the only way to go IMO...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #53
davidzf
Private
Rep
Drives: E90LCI 318I

lci halogen------>lci xenon not fit
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #54
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Also, the fact that you call out to erase the .man and code it into the car is bad advice. It has been discussed that doing this method to revert to stock is not the correct way.

It is best to use expertmode or a profile that does not manipulate fsw_psw.man files.

Basically usign expertmode, read the module, set the job to sg_coderin (SP) and then code the module (without needing to go into the work folder and touch the .man file).

I would change that step you have there to make it a 100% proper DIY.
Hi guys,

Is it really necessary to revert to stock for the CAS and FRM modules or can I just go straight ahead and update with new VO?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #55
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Finally Retrofitted - [Need Help please]

Hi all,

I finally retrofitted the xenon (OEM headlights, OEM levellers, OEM washers, OEM Harness) and connected all wires to FRM module and Xenon lights.

Programmed the VO (added $522 and $502) and reverted CAS and FRM to stock using SG_Codiern.

No errors on car howerver can get the bi-xenon activated (only have halogen inner as highnbeam) the FRM module after adding VO and revertting to stock only only has:

PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_1 instead of;
PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03

What did I fo wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #56
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973 View Post
Hi all,

I finally retrofitted the xenon (OEM headlights, OEM levellers, OEM washers, OEM Harness) and connected all wires to FRM module and Xenon lights.

Programmed the VO (added $522 and $502) and reverted CAS and FRM to stock using SG_Codiern.

No errors on car howerver can get the bi-xenon activated (only have halogen inner as highnbeam) the FRM module after adding VO and revertting to stock only only has:

PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_1 instead of;
PwN_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03

What did I fo wrong?
Sorry for the late reply. I havent been on the forum in ages. It sounds to me like you have forgotten to reset the FRM submodule after coding the VO $522. You have to reset the submodule, so the OBC takes the VO and makes the new FRM submodule for you instead of using the old FRM. It's been a while since I've had to code my car, but when I first did it, I had the same issue. Then I realized what I had forgotten to do and re-did the whole process. You will unfortunately have to redo all your FRM fixes.

By the way, I coded one full year ago, and I still have not had any headlight errors whatsoever. Still going strong!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #57
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep

Thanks Trevendous03, I will redo the coding and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #58
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973 View Post
Thanks Trevendous03, I will redo the coding and see what happens.

Thanks again.
No problem. Make sure you look for that wert_02 wert_03 thing first before moving on to other code fixes. You should see those in there no matter what year E90 you have.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #59
Hunter51092
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
i got my e92 headlights coded on my e90 work fine only thing is when i try to use my high beams they flicker a bit or dont work at all? but when engine is off they work fine?

the shutter doesent open to release the light
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #60
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Does anyone know if the MANUAL leveling will work? i.e. the adjuster wheel next to the light switch?

It's strange i can't find a single mention of this despite searching for hours!

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #61
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I'm going to answer my own question, as nobody else did!

I fitted oem pre lci xenons to my pre lci halogen e90 today. Coding to xenon breaks the operation of the manual level control so i didn't change the vo, so all i did was code out the two low beam checks:-

NFRM module
KALTUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam cold)
WARMUEBERWACHUNG_AL to nicht_aktiv (low beam warm)

And of corse i did the 2 wiring mods, and it all works perfectly, except i won't get a warning if a xenon bulbs fails, but i would rather that than not have level control.

But still if anyone knows how to have level control and low beam bulb checks please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #62
A1CEads
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Silver 328i

Quote:
About 6 weeks before deciding to post this thread, I successfully coded my 2006 E90 325i halogen for xenon. It took a lot of searching to be able to retrieve the correct files and correct DIYs for successful coding.

In the meantime, I have been helping others within the lighting forums here to code their cars for xenon, either with DEPO xenons (standard and FX-R) or with OEM xenon headlights.

Now's about the time when I condense all my documents into one easy-to-find space. After all, someone had to do it! I reuploaded some of the PDFs, because whoever uploaded them before uploaded them to a FTP server instead of HTTP, which was making them unbearably slow.

BMW Xenon Coding (Condensed)
keep in mind that NFRM and FRM are used interchangibly (they mean the same thing and your car will have one or the other)

1. Order your cable and download the program/application files here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

2. Download Junior's NCS DIY here: http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_DIY.pdf
This PDF has important instructions for setting up your applications and for coding a fix/feature. Follow the first part of this regarding setting up the applications and setting up your profile within NCSExpert, but do not advance through the rest of this tutorial once you have your profile created. There are other important steps you need to accomplish before trying to code a fix/feature.

3. Download NCS Changing the VO (Generic) Tutorial here: http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf
This PDF has important instructions for changing your VO. Review this document to familiarize yourself with changing the VO, but do not advance through the tutorial just yet. You already have your profile created by following Junior's NCS DIY, so instead of loading "Expertmoden" every time, just load your created profile. This PDF leaves out some important steps which I will iterate below.

4. Follow my own personal Tutorial on Changing the VO for Xenon here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=228
This post has important instructions for changing your VO for Xenon specifically. It skips some steps that are outlined better in the generic VO tutorial above, but it also inputs some steps which that particular tutorial missed. Look back and forth between the PDF and this post to learn how to code the VO for xenon. This coding must be done before proceeding to code anything else into your CAS and FRM submodules. If this is not done first, all your coding will be reset when you have to come back and do this (I learned the hard way). If this is not done at all, your headlights will run the risk of having a wiring issue down the road or possibly just randomly shut off. Please understand the importance of doing this first.

5. Go back to Junior's NCS DIY pdf, and finish the latter half of it, which shows you how to properly code a fix/feature. Code all the cool features that you want, like "windows up with key fob" and "corner delete", etc.

6. Now that you know how to code properly, code out all bulb checks within the headlights (low beam, high beam, front signals, parking beams), warm and cold, from your FRM submodule. Also, code out all error messages from the same submodule. KALTUEBERWACHUNG = cold test; WARMUEBERWACHUNG = warm test; FEHLERMELDUNG = error message.

For a list of everything I coded (including all the bulb checks), click here.

For a list of every possible code available, click here.

Hopefully this helps anyone who is stuck with the coding or is getting the runaround or is just frankly getting confused about what all he/she needs to accomplish this coding feat! It's a lot easier than it looks, everyone!

Please do not PM me. Respond to this thread if you could.

this is old thread, but do you still code?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #63
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Follow my post above and they'll work fine. If you're putting Depo's in with "no error" ballasts then you don't need to code anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #64
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

I know, off topic, but where would I even begin to find LCI Xenons for my pre lci halogen setup? Should I just go straight through BMW, or is there a less expensive way to get the OEM headlights, ballasts and any necessary wiring. I feel now that since all these guys have done such an excellent job at coding, the hard part now is finding the actual headlights for a decent price.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #65
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothborderdc View Post
I know, off topic, but where would I even begin to find LCI Xenons for my pre lci halogen setup? Should I just go straight through BMW, or is there a less expensive way to get the OEM headlights, ballasts and any necessary wiring. I feel now that since all these guys have done such an excellent job at coding, the hard part now is finding the actual headlights for a decent price.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Try ECS Tuning
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #66
mammothboarderdc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
Try ECS Tuning
I did, they don't have any. Only LCI Halogens.
Appreciate 0