E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Doctors always prescribing antibiotics

07-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Doctors always prescribing antibiotics

I went in to urgent care today due to some intestinal issues that google seemed to think is a form of cancer aids from hell(i dont know why i always look up symptoms). Dr was nice did blood/urin work and determined it was E-coli and nothing major. She gave me the prescription Levaquin. I looked up the stuff online and FDA has released a some new "warnings" of serious nervous system side affects and there is alot online about it. The drug is recommended for serious infections. CDC doesn't recommend antibiotics for treatment of e coli.

last time i went to a Dr for(assuning the flu) he just looked and gave me antibiotics. My wife went else where with same issues they did a flu test and confined flu.

why does it seem doctors alway just give antibiotics for everything.

im not taking the antibiotics either

cliffs: dr's suck
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
um I think you need to find a new doctor. antibiotics for influenza is completely retarded. this isn't even high school level biology. flu is caused by a virus, not a bacteria.

Last edited by i dunno; 07-05-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

2 different places. They didn't even do a flu test.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

I was prescribed some a few years ago, Azithromyicin(sp?), and it wasn't enough and I eventually ended up with a MRSA infection complicated by pneumonia.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
I was prescribed some a few years ago, Azithromyicin(sp?), and it wasn't enough and I eventually ended up with a MRSA infection complicated by pneumonia.
ouch. mrsa is definitely a lot more complicated. those super bugs are crazy. hope youre ok now.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
ouch. mrsa is definitely a lot more complicated. those super bugs are crazy. hope youre ok now.
Yeah, haven't gone back to the hospital since then, but was warned that if I got pneumonia again, I might not be so lucky. It was a terrible experience.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
MRSA is the direct result of bacterial evolution and over prescribing of antibiotics.

And Zpacks are pretty much a placating drug. I don't think they're first line treatment for anything other than atypical pneumonia. However, they generate few side effects and are easy to take, they're cheap and patients want a fix.

I think they give them out at Urgent Care Centers before you even fill out the paperwork.

And for what it's worth, patients suck too. It is far easier for an ER doc or Primary Care Provider to write a script than deal with an argumentative housewife that's been Google searching and self-diagnosing.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

"Doctors always prescribing antibiotics" (and shit)
Yeah, that's their job and they usually have valid reasons for doing so.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
"Doctors always prescribing antibiotics" (and shit)
Yeah, that's their job and they usually have valid reasons for doing so.
If a valid reason is present I don't see the issue. It's like replacing a car battery at first sign of electrical issues with out doing a simple test.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
MRSA is the direct result of bacterial evolution and over prescribing of antibiotics.

And Zpacks are pretty much a placating drug. I don't think they're first line treatment for anything other than atypical pneumonia. However, they generate few side effects and are easy to take, they're cheap and patients want a fix.

I think they give them out at Urgent Care Centers before you even fill out the paperwork.

And for what it's worth, patients suck too. It is far easier for an ER doc or Primary Care Provider to write a script than deal with an argumentative housewife that's been Google searching and self-diagnosing.

I'm sure they are terrible.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

1. If the doctor is wrong, you might not get a 2nd chance (so often they over treat)

if the car mechanic is wrong and the car breaks down so be it. Buy a new part/ get it fixed again.

If you die, theres no 2nd chance. Yes ecoli can kill. It the main bug that causes food illness that you see on the news for recalls.

Taco Bell, green onions, meat, or whatever.

2. Most people will get upset if doctors tell them to tough it out and wait.

3. Tests are good if you can wait, but if your feeling sick (like intestinal cramping/diarrhea) u gotta crap in a cup and wait for a lab to run the test.
a lot of people wouldn't want to take a day off to see a doctor and a day to come back to discuss the results.

fk
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

You do realize where you went....to an urgent care, not a primary physician who could follow up, perform more tests, etc. ER physicians might prescribe stronger drugs than needed and cover their bases (ie prescribe multiple antibiotics to cover gram-pos and gram-neg if blood culture results have not yet come in from the lab). So rather than prescribing a medication that might not work, they cover their bases since at urgent care facilities and ER's, patients do not have follow-up. Rather, if you went to a primary physician, the treatment plan could be different than in an urgent or emergent setting.

The flu would not be treated with antibiotics. If you did actually have the flu, your blood tests would have tested positive for Influenza, and your doctor would have treated you accordingly and would not have given you antibiotics. If you still insist that it is the flu, try Tamiflu and see if your symptoms improve.
Jet Black / Gloss Black Grilles / 8000k D1S low beam / 6000k HID fogs / GP Thunder 8500k angels & cornering bulbs / black reflectors / gloss black vinyled window trim / tints / smoked rear turn signals / black roundels / AC Schnitzer roof spoiler / VRS style decklid spoiler / Matte black Stripes / Rear fogs / matte mirrors / 19" LM reps / APR lip
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvpouldar26 View Post
You do realize where you went....to an urgent care, not a primary physician who could follow up, perform more tests, etc. ER physicians might prescribe stronger drugs than needed and cover their bases (ie prescribe multiple antibiotics to cover gram-pos and gram-neg if blood culture results have not yet come in from the lab). So rather than prescribing a medication that might not work, they cover their bases since at urgent care facilities and ER's, patients do not have follow-up. Rather, if you went to a primary physician, the treatment plan could be different than in an urgent or emergent setting.

The flu would not be treated with antibiotics. If you did actually have the flu, your blood tests would have tested positive for Influenza, and your doctor would have treated you accordingly and would not have given you antibiotics. If you still insist that it is the flu, try Tamiflu and see if your symptoms improve.

The dr did not take any blood for that visit. Asked 3 questions and wrote a script. I was so sick and had been there for hours I didn't complain.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Eh, you're in Florida. That's the sham-doc capital of the States.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

And in other news... Antibiotics only work for a period of time, until germs become immune to them. For the past 70 years, drug makers have continually developed new ones, and kept ahead of the germs. But in recent years, the profits have been greatly reduced, and drug makers are no longer investing in antibiotics - there are only 4 in the development process, which takes about 12 years.

As a result, we are now seeing "superbugs" like MRSA, and resistant pneumonias.
      07-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
part of the problem is people's misuse of antibiotics also. not completing the course of antibiotic treatment contributes to antibiotic resistance
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

*popcorn*
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
DOCTOR 3VIL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/E92 M3

Another important issue that hasn't been discussed yet is opportunistic douchebag lawyers that will sue the doctors for not prescribing antibiotics if the problem actually happens to be bacterial.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

so there's a few docs in this thread. what do you do with a patient that comes in c/o a tick bite and is concerned about Lyme? Pt. doesn't know how long the tick was on, they didn't save it, yada yada. we all know the tick has to be on 24-48 hrs to transmit Lyme. Do you give them abx? My policy is to give doxycycline 200 mg X1 and have them come back for a titer because heaven forbid one of them gets Lyme and I didn't treat them.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Lesson learned...

Next time you have the shits, just take some pepto and drink some water.
      07-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #21
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Lesson learned...

Next time you have the shits, just take some pepto and drink some water.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Yeah, but then he comes back and complains about having the shits....
can't win sometimes.
Appreciate 0