E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Speeding Ticket in Virginia-Please Help

03-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
hanmaas
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetryal View Post
if im not mistaken, 15 mph or over is reckless.
> 20 mph is reckless driving. If he would've crossed that limit, he'd have earned himself a trip down to the county jail. And yes, Virginia has ridiculous speeding laws and many dickhead cops. Don't speed in Virginia.
      03-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by damadama View Post
from what I understand there aren't any states that require the officer to show his radar reading to you. I could be wrong on this, but I recently did some research on the matter. Anyway, get a freakin lawyer to push it out as far as possible and/or plead it down.
Just pay the ticket. It will be $141. What is the big deal? I guess you live in Pittsburg, is it really worth $141 to take a whole day out of your life come down to VA and go to court? You are not going to get out of the ticket anyway, and then there will be an additional court fee to pay.

Where did he get you anyway, sounds like a rural highway.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #25
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Hey guys, so i just got back from my court hearing in Virginia(I live in PA). Things went well in court.

Almost two months ago when the Sheriff initially pulled me over, he had mentioned (after we had been conversing for about ten minutes) that i could get the ticket lowered in court by mentioning my defective speedometer followed by a distinct wink.

Back to today, when i first arrived the officer was outside of the court room so i spoke with him. We came to an agreement. Once my case was called to the docket the officer made his testimony about how he used specialty radar (moving radar) to track my small black sports car at a rate of 72 in a 55, he also mentioned that i was nice, polite and courteous with him. It was then my turn to make a statement.

I informed the judge that i had an "equipment malfunction" and that the Sheriff and i had come to an agreement. He then asked what the recommended fine was(The sheriff told me to say $100 prior to this) and that is what i said. The judge said the court accepts the agreement. I said thank you and went to pay my fine.

Now my insurance rates won't increase as no points were issued.

Last edited by TwinTurboXI; 09-05-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #26
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Just pay the ticket. It will be $141. What is the big deal? I guess you live in Pittsburg, is it really worth $141 to take a whole day out of your life come down to VA and go to court? You are not going to get out of the ticket anyway, and then there will be an additional court fee to pay.

Where did he get you anyway, sounds like a rural highway.
I was about ten miles outside of Virginia Tech, so yes mostly rural area. And it was worth it because PA would asses 3 possibly 4 points on my license, that's not something i need.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #27
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Well congrats! You got off easy, especially for VA!

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #28
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Congrats, a no points is always better than points! Just got my brother in law down to a no points from a speeding ticket
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #29
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
I was about ten miles outside of Virginia Tech, so yes mostly rural area. And it was worth it because PA would asses 3 possibly 4 points on my license, that's not something i need.
So I take it you were on 460. That road is terrible. My roommate is from Pittsburgh and has gotten pulled over on their multiple times.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #30
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
In VA you can ask the judge to let you take the on-line driving course then all you have to do is pay court cost + the $55 for the on-line course but you don't loose points...you can also gain points depending on your ticket. If you live out of state, take the on-line course and bring in your certificate then you can handle everything on one trip. There is an age restriction for on-line...I think it is 21 and over. Also I am not sure how it works for non VA DLs.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #31
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
Hey guys, so i just got back from my court hearing in Virginia(I live in PA). Things went well in court.

Almost two months ago when the Sheriff initially pulled me over, he had mentioned (after we had been conversing for about ten minutes) that i could get the ticket lowered in court by mentioning my defective speedometer followed by a distinct wink.

Back to today, when i first arrived the officer was outside of the court room so i spoke with him. We came to an agreement. Once my case was called to the docket the officer made his testimony about how he used specialty radar (moving radar) to track my small black sports car at a rate of 72 in a 55, he also mentioned that i was nice, polite and courteous with him. It was then my turn to make a statement.

I informed the judge that i had an "equipment malfunction" and that the Sheriff and i had come to an agreement. He then asked what the recommended fine was(The sheriff told me to say $100 prior to this) and that is what i said. The judge said the court accepts the agreement. I said thank you and went to pay my fine.

Now my insurance rates won't increase as no points were issued.

It really is very beneficial in life to have an attorney as a great father and great instructor. Oh ya today is also my birthday.
Sorry but I'm calling BS on this thread. The only way a Virginia judge, or any state judge would let you off on a speeding ticket for equipment malfunction is if you provide documented proof from a speedometer repair shop that your speedometer was operating incorrectly and was repaired. The Sheriff has no jurisdiction to cut a deal, or lower the offence once a traffic summons is issued and it is scheduled to be contested in court. Secondly, the Court usually drops the violation because the evidence would indicate the only reason you were speeding was because the speedometer was incorrectly indicating road speed.

I have to ask if your Father is an Attorney, why did you come to this forum to ask a legal question? As an attorney your father has access to far more legal information than any of us on this forum (except other lawyers). So did you get the ticket a few weeks ago, or a few months ago? You've indicated both. Lastly, if this actually did happen, it was nice of your Father to teach you such a valuable lesson that you need not take responsibility for your actions.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #32
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

i got a speeding ticket in va 2 years ago, i never paid it and the points dont carry over to jersey, just dont ever wanna get pulled over there again anytime soon lol
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #33
szeleung
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90, 6 Speed, Black/Black

Quote:
Sorry but I'm calling BS on this thread. The only way a Virginia judge, or any state judge would let you off on a speeding ticket for equipment malfunction is if you provide documented proof from a speedometer repair shop that your speedometer was operating incorrectly and was repaired. The Sheriff has no jurisdiction to cut a deal, or lower the offence once a traffic summons is issued and it is scheduled to be contested in court. Secondly, the Court usually drops the violation because the evidence would indicate the only reason you were speeding was because the speedometer was incorrectly indicating road speed.

I have to ask if your Father is an Attorney, why did you come to this forum to ask a legal question? As an attorney your father has access to far more legal information than any of us on this forum (except other lawyers). So did you get the ticket a few weeks ago, or a few months ago? You've indicated both. Lastly, if this actually did happen, it was nice of your Father to teach you such a valuable lesson that you need not take responsibility for your actions.
+1, I had the same thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #34
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
it might not have been faulty speedo, it could just be they amended the charge to an equipment violation, no points, and he plead to that.

our prosecutor does that alot, she'll have people plead down most moving violations to the cheapest equipment violation (faulty muffler). people plead no contest to that, get the fine waived, and just pay court costs (the court always get their money).

same thing with like, driving on suspended license, she'll tell you to get your license reinstated and you can plead the susp. license down to a no o.l. which carries less penalties, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #35
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Last edited by TwinTurboXI; 09-05-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #36
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder109 View Post
So I take it you were on 460. That road is terrible. My roommate is from Pittsburgh and has gotten pulled over on their multiple times.
Yep on 460, where the speed limit is artificially low to generate tickets which in turn generates revenue.

Last edited by TwinTurboXI; 09-05-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #37
BMWFann
Rep
Drives: 1994 320

i have not got a ticket yet maybe because my car doesnt go very fast
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #38
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep