E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 COBB First Impressions

01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
JasonsE90
Rep
Drives: N55 E90 AW

N55 COBB First Impressions

Background
I've had the JB4 Stage 2 since it came out, but I was getting tired of having to remove and re-install the tune everytime I was due-in for service at the dealer. The JB4 is a great product, and I'll really miss the on-dash gauges and the many functions that it has. However, the convenience of COBB really stood out in my books and became the deciding factor.

XTR Performance
I haven't heard of these guys before, but they seem to be a silver level sponsor on the Sponsor section of E90Post. So when I saw that they had the COBB AP on sale, I jumped at the opportunity. It was Sunday night and I was having trouble finding the N55 AP on the XTR website. On the bottom right of the page was a chat function, allowing you to chat with a representative from the company. It being a Sunday night, I doubted that anyone would respond, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways. To my surprise, someone replied from the other end! Chris from XTR was extremely helpful, polite, and helped answer all my questions. He told me that the N55 AP was still not on the website but if I ordered the N54 SKU, he would send me the N55 instead. Chris's dedication to his work(working on Sunday night!) and the tremendous discount really made this a no-brainer for me. Not to mention the fact that there was free overnight shipping. So I placed my order, and received shipping notification on Monday and received it Tuesday. So what's the verdict? 5/5 for Chris@XTR Performance.

N55 COBB AccessPort
Now, onto the AP itself. The install itself was absolutely painless that even a caveman could do it. After about 15 minutes of loading in the maps, I went out on a test drive with Stage 1 Aggressive, to see how it compared to the JB4. And WOW, what a blast it was to drive. The throttle was very responsive and was quite sensitive compared to what I was used to with the JB4. The power was there with minimal throttle input. Being that most gas stations only sell 91 Octane here in California, and 93 is the requirement for Stage1 Aggressive, I swapped the map to Stage1 Sport, which was still a blast to drive, but it really lacked the excitement that is associated with the Aggressive map. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

The JB4 and COBB both have great value, each with different strengths and weaknesses. For me, the convenience of the AP really won me over.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

So, what was the sale price? All I see is $895 on their site
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

Nice post and happy to hear you enjoy the COBB AP.

I am going to wait until more maps come out and see how people review them compared to the JB4 ISO
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
JasonsE90
Rep
Drives: N55 E90 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
So, what was the sale price? All I see is $895 on their site
Try ordering it with the promo code "accessport"' at checkout.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
CombatNinja
Banned
Rep
Drives: e91 328i, e90 328i, e90 335i

Hmmmm....
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Bladerunner
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Sounds good, but $895 a little high for me, I think I'll be purchasing the JB4 in spring!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Sounds good, but $895 a little high for me, I think I'll be purchasing the JB4 in spring!
With the above promo code, it's only $770.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
Cure12
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
and free over night shipping...dam that's a good deal...im mad now...
      03-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsE90 View Post
Background
I've had the JB4 Stage 2 since it came out, but I was getting tired of having to remove and re-install the tune everytime I was due-in for service at the dealer. The JB4 is a great product, and I'll really miss the on-dash gauges and the many functions that it has. However, the convenience of COBB really stood out in my books and became the deciding factor.

The JB4 and COBB both have great value, each with different strengths and weaknesses. For me, the convenience of the AP really won me over.
I want to get an Accessport for the convenience as well, but Cobb took too long to come out and I like the JB4 so far.

It seems like the aggressive map on the AP is similar to the map 2 tune on the JB4 - did you ever get a chance to run it to compare?

I'm on map 1 right now and I guess that compares to the sport map for the AP. I'm looking forward to getting a dp installed and map 5 due to 91 pisstane.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Does it feel any slower compared to the jb4 since its still stage 1?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure12
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
and free over night shipping...dam that's a good deal...im mad now...
Promo code doesn't work for price change just free overnight shipping
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
Cure12
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
Promo code doesn't work for price change just free overnight shipping
it did give a substantial discount...but that was like 2 months ago...
      03-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
XTR Performance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Evo X WW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsE90 View Post
Background

XTR Performance
I haven't heard of these guys before, but they seem to be a silver level sponsor on the Sponsor section of E90Post. So when I saw that they had the COBB AP on sale, I jumped at the opportunity. It was Sunday night and I was having trouble finding the N55 AP on the XTR website. On the bottom right of the page was a chat function, allowing you to chat with a representative from the company. It being a Sunday night, I doubted that anyone would respond, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways. To my surprise, someone replied from the other end! Chris from XTR was extremely helpful, polite, and helped answer all my questions. He told me that the N55 AP was still not on the website but if I ordered the N54 SKU, he would send me the N55 instead. Chris's dedication to his work(working on Sunday night!) and the tremendous discount really made this a no-brainer for me. Not to mention the fact that there was free overnight shipping. So I placed my order, and received shipping notification on Monday and received it Tuesday. So what's the verdict? 5/5 for Chris@XTR Performance.

N55 COBB AccessPort
Now, onto the AP itself. The install itself was absolutely painless that even a caveman could do it. After about 15 minutes of loading in the maps, I went out on a test drive with Stage 1 Aggressive, to see how it compared to the JB4. And WOW, what a blast it was to drive. The throttle was very responsive and was quite sensitive compared to what I was used to with the JB4. The power was there with minimal throttle input. Being that most gas stations only sell 91 Octane here in California, and 93 is the requirement for Stage1 Aggressive, I swapped the map to Stage1 Sport, which was still a blast to drive, but it really lacked the excitement that is associated with the Aggressive map. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

Wow. I want to personally thank you for this astonishing review. We greatly appreciate all of our customers and we would not be here without you. Some of my prices aren't the greatest but I honestly strive to offer the best customer service I can to make up for the slightly higher prices on some products.

We will be continuing this sale on the Cobb AP for all BMW users as we have had great success selling these APs! The website has the $895 Minimum Advertised price but if you contact me I can give you a special code to adjust the pricing .

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #14
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
Chris went to the same high school as me, small world!! great guy.. he knows his stuff def check his website out
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #15
XTR Performance
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilewarriorz View Post
Chris went to the same high school as me, small world!! great guy.. he knows his stuff def check his website out
Nice talking to you tonight. Be sure to shoot me over a message before you order the AP so I can get you that special price!

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
Brent13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Bought my Cobb AP from XTR a couple of weeks ago. Great guys to do business with. I've been running Stage 1 Sport. Power increase was noticeable although I was hoping for a little more. Throttle response was notably improved. I filled up with Unocal 92 this morning. (No 93 octane available in Oregon.) Mixed in about 12 ounces of Torco Accelerator and switched to the Stage 1 Aggressive Map. Holy crap this is this fun! Great power all the way from idle to redline. I'll stay with the agressive tune for a couple of days then go back to the Sport Map. Thanks Cobb and XTR!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
XTR Performance
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent13 View Post
Bought my Cobb AP from XTR a couple of weeks ago. Great guys to do business with. I've been running Stage 1 Sport. Power increase was noticeable although I was hoping for a little more. Throttle response was notably improved. I filled up with Unocal 92 this morning. (No 93 octane available in Oregon.) Mixed in about 12 ounces of Torco Accelerator and switched to the Stage 1 Aggressive Map. Holy crap this is this fun! Great power all the way from idle to redline. I'll stay with the agressive tune for a couple of days then go back to the Sport Map. Thanks Cobb and XTR!
Thank you! Glad your happy with it. Just make sure you don't have any knock and the car is running good with the aggressive map. Enjoy

-Chris
Appreciate 0